Premed 101 Forums

Are healthcare-related ECs required?

Basically the title. I'm a nontrad from an engineering background, so I have a ton of interesting work experience, research, volunteering, and other ECs, but no volunteering at a hospital or anything healthcare related. Is this viewed negatively by adcoms? I'd like to avoid them thinking "this guy has no interest in healthcare/medicine".

Any experience or knowledge on the above would be greatly appreciated.

2 minutes ago, MissingPrereqs said:

Basically the title. I'm a nontrad from an engineering background, so I have a ton of interesting work experience, research, volunteering, and other ECs, but no volunteering at a hospital or anything healthcare related. Is this viewed negatively by adcoms? I'd like to avoid them thinking "this guy has no interest in healthcare/medicine".

Any experience or knowledge on the above would be greatly appreciated.

Short answer: no. 

However, for your benefit, it may be a good idea to get some exposure to healthcare to know what are getting yourself into.

No, it is not required (with the exception of I believe Dalhousie Medical School). It also won't look bad on you that you don't have clinical experience. 

However, like petitmonstre111 said, you may want to try to do a little shadowing to see what medicine is about. 

56 minutes ago, bgeh said:

No, it is not required (with the exception of I believe Dalhousie Medical School). It also won't look bad on you that you don't have clinical experience. 

However, like petitmonstre111 said, you may want to try to do a little shadowing to see what medicine is about. 

In Canada, if you are from non healthcare field, shadowing is not legal and doing so can make you look irresponsible. I think taking some EMT course might be useful.

• 2 weeks later...