Premed 101 Forums

Re-applicant for 2021 - getting an interview twice?

Hi guys :)

I had a question for those who have been able to secure a two+ consecutive interviews at UOttawa. Assuming you were not successful with your interview the first time around, when you reapplied...

1) Did you guys change your application significantly or was it more or less the same
2) What do you think your chances are of securing an interview the following year?
3) Are there individuals who had an interview one year and was not able to get one the next year? 

Thank you guys very much for your help. If you guys know anyone who might not be on these forums but have been in a similar situation, feel free to share!!

Thanks again :) 

Hi! I interviewed at Ottawa twice, got in this year but bad waitlisted the year before. My application was pretty much the same + a few more experiences I'd done / more hours with an extra year. I made sure to focus again on Casper (got Mac/Ottawa interviews both years) since I think this is one area that could bring you down or not get you an interview if you aren't careful. So overall I'd say good chances of getting another interview! Honestly the biggest factor for me was the interview itself as I really did not connect with my panel the first year but had a great experience this year (it's not a perfect system and I think lots of luck is involved). 

48 minutes ago, Snow8765 said:

Hi! I interviewed at Ottawa twice, got in this year but bad waitlisted the year before. My application was pretty much the same + a few more experiences I'd done / more hours with an extra year. I made sure to focus again on Casper (got Mac/Ottawa interviews both years) since I think this is one area that could bring you down or not get you an interview if you aren't careful. So overall I'd say good chances of getting another interview! Honestly the biggest factor for me was the interview itself as I really did not connect with my panel the first year but had a great experience this year (it's not a perfect system and I think lots of luck is involved). 

Thank you Snow8765! 

Will definitely be preparing just as hard for CASPER. Did you edit your previous ABS entries or were they more or less the same? I'm asking because I am aware that some schools like seeing a change/ something different in your ABS. I also felt like there was a luck component and the panels were not standardized, hoping for some more luck next year :)

Hi! I interviewed at Ottawa twice in a row. First time, I was good waitlisted but never made it off and was lucky enough to get in this year! To answer your questions: no my application generally remained the same but I worked on incorporating a lot more CanMeds in my ABS (my activities themselves didn't change much). My wGPA did go up thanks to my fourth year marks (although this likely did not have a significant impact on the interview invite and rather helped me after the interview stage). I think you have a good chance of securing an interview the year after provided your Casper performance doesn't change as mentioned above! My biggest challenge was the interview itself - I prepped a lot more the second time around and it definitely helps having experienced it once before.

Let me know if you have any other specific questions or PM and I'm happy to help :)

On 8/12/2020 at 11:29 PM, MD_endgame said:

Hi! I interviewed at Ottawa twice in a row. First time, I was good waitlisted but never made it off and was lucky enough to get in this year! To answer your questions: no my application generally remained the same but I worked on incorporating a lot more CanMeds in my ABS (my activities themselves didn't change much). My wGPA did go up thanks to my fourth year marks (although this likely did not have a significant impact on the interview invite and rather helped me after the interview stage). I think you have a good chance of securing an interview the year after provided your Casper performance doesn't change as mentioned above! My biggest challenge was the interview itself - I prepped a lot more the second time around and it definitely helps having experienced it once before.

Let me know if you have any other specific questions or PM and I'm happy to help :)

Thanks for your response, really appreciate it! Also, congrats on making it in this year :)