Premed 101 Forums

Highschool activities for Ottawa's top 3

On 8/16/2020 at 10:28 PM, EnchantedPrincess282 said:

Hello!

I was just wondering if past successful applicants have put some highschool items in their top 3 for Ottawa. If I'm not mistaken, Ottawa used to ask for 3 items before 2015? Any med students remember if they put some high-school activities there?

I remember hearing about needing a top 3 but I haven't seen that since 2016. They probably said that in 2015 to stop applicants from putting something they rushed last minute to build their app. Same way UBC doesn't let you put anything from June onward. But since you're asking, avoid using highschool activities. Assuming you didn't win an olympic gold medal lol

Not sure if I’m blind or lost, but where do we put specify our top 3? I clicked the school submissions section but there’s no tab that lets you pick your top 3. Does that mean we’re supposed to put it in the title of the specific ABS items themselves? Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

EDIT: Thanks to Lakeside for the answer below!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/26/2020 at 2:16 PM, sb88 said:

Not sure if I’m blind or lost, but where do we put specify our top 3? I clicked the school submissions section but there’s no tab that lets you pick your top 3. Does that mean we’re supposed to put it in the title of the specific ABS items themselves? Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

EDIT: I emailed the same day (August 26th) and I haven't gotten a response but just an auto-reply email saying that they are busy handling requests and questions. I'll provide an update as soon as possible (unless someone else knows the answer)!

When filling out any ABS entry there should be a mini box at the very bottom of the form that says "most important for ottawa" that you check. I don't believe it prompts you to provide more details in addition to what is required for a normal sketch entry. The check just lets Ottawa know that this activity is in your top 3 for that category. Hope this helps. 

5 minutes ago, Lakeside2001 said:

When filling out any ABS entry there should be a mini box at the very bottom of the form that says "most important for ottawa" that you check. I don't believe it prompts you to provide more details in addition to what is required for a normal sketch entry. The check just lets Ottawa know that this activity is in your top 3 for that category. Hope this helps. 

Thank you! I must have missed it when perusing through the website trying to find that (lol)