Premed 101 Forums

How difficult is it for an international student to be accepted in a Canada University physiotherapy program?

Hi everyone!

I am one of the individuals from Asia that want to immigrate to Canada in the future, I am also interested in becoming a physiotherapist. I understand that it is still a very competitive field even if I were a Canadian.

I have done some research and most of the universities claim that they have the same requirements for international and local students, but we all know that is a lie. It also makes sense, because why would they train a foreigner to become a physiotherapist that might not work in Canada?

May I ask does anyone knows how difficult is it to be accepted or how hard is it to become a physiotherapist in general as a foreigner? Or maybe you have some examples that can share?

If this is not the forum to ask this type of question, I apologize. And please do let me know the correct forum.

5 hours ago, Ko2047 said:

Hi everyone!

I am one of the individuals from Asia that want to immigrate to Canada in the future, I am also interested in becoming a physiotherapist. I understand that it is still a very competitive field even if I were a Canadian.

I have done some research and most of the universities claim that they have the same requirements for international and local students, but we all know that is a lie. It also makes sense, because why would they train a foreigner to become a physiotherapist that might not work in Canada?

May I ask does anyone knows how difficult is it to be accepted or how hard is it to become a physiotherapist in general as a foreigner? Or maybe you have some examples that can share?

If this is not the forum to ask this type of question, I apologize. And please do let me know the correct forum.

Here is UBC's guidelines for international applicants: https://physicaltherapy.med.ubc.ca/prospective-students-2/international-applicants/international-mpt-applicants/

there is a maximum of 8 seats allocated to international students but i dont think they fill them each year. it is very competitive as UBC has in province preference. My advice would be create the best application possible and try! If it doesnt work out, explore other options. There are many students who go to the UK or Australia then come to canada and qualify themselves as physios. best of luck!

• 7 months later...

Hi! I'm applying for OT school as an international applicant. It definitely is harder for us, but not impossible. Certain universities like UBC and U of A have seats reserved for internationals, but the tuition is about 5 times what a Canadian citizen pays. GPA is super important, so is any work/shadowing experience you have. As for job prospects, you might have better luck outside of provinces like Ontario and BC, since getting PR from these provinces takes longer. 

3 hours ago, kk2902 said:

Hi! I'm applying for OT school as an international applicant. It definitely is harder for us, but not impossible. Certain universities like UBC and U of A have seats reserved for internationals, but the tuition is about 5 times what a Canadian citizen pays. GPA is super important, so is any work/shadowing experience you have. As for job prospects, you might have better luck outside of provinces like Ontario and BC, since getting PR from these provinces takes longer. 

I am not sure about OT, but for PT neither UBC or U of A reserve seats for international students

1. U of A has a certain amount of seats for both international and OOP applicants, basically if you are considered in the same pool with other OOP applicants. The interview GPA cutoff this year for this pool is 3.9+ very competitive

2. UBC has additional seats for international students on top of the 100 seats for domestic students. In the history of UBC MPT I have only heard one international student ever got accepted. 

3. let's talk about immigration and getting PR. If you graduate with mpt/mot degree from UBC your PR is guaranteed, because both MPT/MOT are considered BC PNP program and you can apply for PR directly upon graduation. And I know in Ontario, there is something similar for graduate degree holders to apply for PR but I think it's more like a lottery system. 

4. Taking PR doesn't take longer in those provinces if you are going through Express Entry stream. It's essentially the same anywhere in Canada.