Premed 101 Forums

MCAT prep for non-trad

I'm looking for advice on preparing to write the MCAT for April 2021. I completed a Honours B.Sc in 2012 and am now considering Med school. I want to write the MCAT as a first step in determining if I have what it takes before potentially doing a second UG. I'm looking for advice on the best study package for the MCAT. As a non-trad applicant who has been out of university for some time, I know I have knowledge gaps that need to be filled. I know Kaplan has been mentioned as a great resource and there are many other free study guides online. I'm considering purchasing the DIY Kaplan course for $1799. 

Am I better off trying to do free practice tests and using free online resources before purchasing Kaplan? Is the investment of purchasing the prep course worth it?

Thanks for your feedback.

• 1 month later...

I am a non traditiional applicant. I wrote MCAT 2 years ago , self-study, bought the books and online videos. got a 504. So rewriting it again, taking the Princeton course this time, it costs about 2500$ and I am already finding it very helpful. For me I do better with structure and being forced to go to classes and do the work. The Princeton make you do a-lot of practise so it helps a-lot!  so short answer, it depends on you. I have kids and family, adn full time work, so its not easy to just take time off and strictly study. If you have that opportunity then maybe go for self-study first buy all the AAMC practise tests, and all the practise test/passages from other courses as well, as that helps alot. 

Got a 513 on MCAT, not the best but also not the worst - purchased the Kaplan MCAT book set, and it was the best thing for me. Didn't do any courses, and full disclosure was only studying about every other evening for 2.5 months since I was also working full time.

If you have the study skills to do it yourself, I'd say don't spend the extra money on the course. The book set costs about $300 if I remember correct, and it gives you access to online practice exams and questions for each chapter. You can also tailor your focus to what you need. There are also so many Khan Academy MCAT videos on YouTube if you need some extra explanation! 

On the other hand, if you need the accountability of a course to stick to a study schedule then do that! 

• 1 month later...