Premed 101 Forums

Elective advice on matching at Montreal

I am Med3 student and I have had recent changes in my personal life that necessitates me staying in Montreal for the coming years. It is essential therefore for me to match and stay in Montreal

What would be your advice on how many programs I should apply to McGill and/or UdeM in order to secure residency here. Also how do you think I should divide my elective times ? 2 or 4 weeks ? and to how many disciplines ? I am flexible about specialties and don't have a preference yet, though I am not fond of surgical specialties. 

I would appreciate if anyone is/was in my shoes to help me with some ideas regarding this situation 

Thank you in advance for your comments and insight. 

I know a few people going for FM in Montreal that didn't get it although it's less competitive than most other specialties.  Surgery is generally much more competitive and no point in considering given your non-preference - you could also try something like pathology if that's of interest.  I'd suggest FM and highly related rotations spread among the Montreal schools (assuming French isn't an issue - if you don't speak French, there's no point in considering French-speaking schools).