Premed 101 Forums

Courses that can be used for the english requirement?

11 hours ago, keiko88 said:

You need one semester of English composition-type course (basic writing styles- essay/research paper etc etc) and one semester of English literature-type course. 
I suggest checking with UBC because they’re pretty specific with what they approve/don’t approve. 

Yeah i just looked at the chart, what is even the point of it? They dont accept any humanities course so it cant be for a humanities requirement and they also dont take professional writing courses so im guessing its not to assess your english ability either? Regardless i dont think any of my courses would be able to satisfy it but ive seen that they need the prereq by april of the year youre applying (so by april 2021), how would it work if i did the ENGL211 and ENGL212 from Athabasca online? Would the grade i get in those courses affect my overall undergrad GPA for other applications? Also when they say AP english courses does that mean like the highschool AP courses? Because im pretty sure i may have taken highschool AP english would that be good enough?

P.S. sorry for dumping all of this here, all the admissions offices are closed because of covid and only answer to email

4 hours ago, johnnyboy13291 said:

Yeah i just looked at the chart, what is even the point of it? They dont accept any humanities course so it cant be for a humanities requirement and they also dont take professional writing courses so im guessing its not to assess your english ability either? Regardless i dont think any of my courses would be able to satisfy it but ive seen that they need the prereq by april of the year youre applying (so by april 2021), how would it work if i did the ENGL211 and ENGL212 from Athabasca online? Would the grade i get in those courses affect my overall undergrad GPA for other applications? Also when they say AP english courses does that mean like the highschool AP courses? Because im pretty sure i may have taken highschool AP english would that be good enough?

For AP English, you need to take the AP English exam! And score a 4 or 5 on it. It will automatically cover all 6 credits of English you need, but you need to send your transcript from the AP website to the UBC admissions office.

For Athabasca courses, it might count as your undergrad GPA for admissions purposes? Because you'll have to report all grades you receive whether it's at your home institution or not. When I took courses at a school in Quebec, I had to write it down on my med application, but it didn't count towards my official UBC undergrad GPA (UBC's my home institution).

3 hours ago, johnnyboy13291 said:

Wait thats actually a good idea, when do we get interview invites?

I think this year we'll be hearing back during the week of Dec7 to Dec11 sometime in there, though I'm not sure if the timeline for admissions decisions will be changed at all due to COVID. They've already changed the application and MCAT deadlines as a result of the pandemic and its effects, but if everything stays the same as last year's timeline from here on in then it'll be in that first full week of December