Premed 101 Forums

What are my chances? IP Non-Traditional

Hi all, 

I'll start by saying I'm a non-traditional applicant - I'm 26 and have a bachelors in business and masters in finance. I'm also indigenous and hoping to apply through the indigenous stream.

MCAT = 513 but my GPA is low (3.33) 

ECs: Co-founded a club in undergrad, started my own business to help indigenous youth with job/school applications, captained intramural teams, still play organized sports, and I volunteer with a non-profit that helps troubled youth.

I'm interested in med because my work in finance is not fulfilling. I find more joy in my ECs than I do at any time during my 9-5. 

I took the MCAT last year because I'm looking for a change and I thought medicine would be a better fit for me and my personality. 

Am I fooling myself? Are there other schools that may be better options?  

I'm also worried I will not be competitive as an OOP with my GPA.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance to everyone for your advice and feedback!

I don't think the minimum GPA is an issue for indigenous applicants. The Indigenous MD Subcommittee has the power to overrule.

I highly recommend you attend their info session coming up: Wednesday, September 2 at 12:00 PM: Indigenous Admissions Stream — You can register for this session by clicking here.

You will receive lots of support. UBC MD has a social accountability mandate to increase the number of indigenous physicians.

Best of luck.

On 8/31/2020 at 5:15 PM, HopefulMD786 said:

Do you know what your GPA converts to as a %? 

the minimum average you need in order to apply to UBC as an IP is 75%, so if you meet that criteria then definitely go for it!

17 hours ago, constellation said:

I’d say your application would be strong 

8 hours ago, Pterygoid said:

I don't think the minimum GPA is an issue for indigenous applicants. The Indigenous MD Subcommittee has the power to overrule.

I highly recommend you attend their info session coming up: Wednesday, September 2 at 12:00 PM: Indigenous Admissions Stream — You can register for this session by clicking here.

You will receive lots of support. UBC MD has a social accountability mandate to increase the number of indigenous physicians.

Best of luck.

Thank you to everyone for responding! 

My GPA does clear the bar of 75% and I have signed up for the info session tomorrow. 

Best of luck to everyone as well in their current/future journey in medicine!

• 2 weeks later...

@Maybemed2k24 I think you should definitely apply. You sound like someone who would be great in medicine. You have great ECs and your MCAT score demonstrates that you have the academic ability to handle med school. No one can make any guarantees but it sounds like you have a good chance as an indigenous applicant. Good luck!