Premed 101 Forums

UBC full course load requirement

Hey I am really confused about this. I have been told that UBC doesn't have any full course requirements by my university advisor.

But on the website, it states: "applicants should demonstrate an ability to handle the rigorous, full-time curriculum of medical school, and are asked to provide more information about any part-time terms on the application." What does that mean?

I was "full-time" (had some 3/4 year, 3/3 year, and 4/5 course load) but not "full course load". Does anyone know some who had gotten in to UBC med that didn't take the full course load that can give me some insight? Or am I screwed?

6 hours ago, nerdy_unicorn said:

Hey I am really confused about this. I have been told that UBC doesn't have any full course requirements by my university advisor.

But on the website, it states: "applicants should demonstrate an ability to handle the rigorous, full-time curriculum of medical school, and are asked to provide more information about any part-time terms on the application." What does that mean?

I was "full-time" (had some 3/4 year, 3/3 year, and 4/5 course load) but not "full course load". Does anyone know some who had gotten in to UBC med that didn't take the full course load that can give me some insight? Or am I screwed?

You’re not screwed, lots of people take partial course loads. I had a part-time load for most of my degree. But they want to know you can handle a busy schedule and working hard. So you do need to explain what else you were doing with yourself during part-time terms (e.g working, extra curriculums, etc), or at the very least other parts of your application should hopefully demonstrate that you’re capable of keeping up with a heavy curriculum.

30 minutes ago, nerdy_unicorn said:

Hey @frenchpress Thanks for the reply! Would I include that in the extra optional academic explanations section or is it just something they deduce from my application or ask for at the interview?

You don’t have much space, to say much beyond ‘I took part-time terms because x,y,z reasons,’ but you should provide what explanation you can in that section. And then just make as strong as an application as you can, pick a good academic reference, etc. You won’t be asked this sort of thing at the interview - it’s an MMI only, no panel.

3 hours ago, frenchpress said:

You don’t have much space, to say much beyond ‘I took part-time terms because x,y,z reasons,’ but you should provide what explanation you can in that section. And then just make as strong as an application as you can, pick a good academic reference, etc. You won’t be asked this sort of thing at the interview - it’s an MMI only, no panel.

Ok thanks for the advice!