Premed 101 Forums

Can you decided between MDCM and MD-PhD if you get into both?

Babybilly

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if knows whether you have the option to choose between MD and MD-PhD if you get into both for Mcgill. In the application you can only select one and they mention that even you don't get into MD-PhD you could still get into the MDCM program, however I'm just wondering if you could decided between the two if you got your MD-PhD acceptance or you have take MD-PhD

1 hour ago, Babybilly said:

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if knows whether you have the option to choose between MD and MD-PhD if you get into both for Mcgill. In the application you can only select one and they mention that even you don't get into MD-PhD you could still get into the MDCM program, however I'm just wondering if you could decided between the two if you got your MD-PhD acceptance or you have take MD-PhD

How it was explained to me during the interview presentation was that you apply for MD-PhD, there are 2 outcomes (besides an outright rejection):

- If you are selected as MD-PhD, that is your only offer. You can accept or reject it, but you will not get another offer

- You are NOT selected for the MD-PhD stream, then your application is forwarded to the MD stream. You compete against other MD stream applicants. You can get an offer, but that will be your only offer.

Basically you only get one offer.

They don't like it when students drop the PhD stream after they've started the program, but I don't know what consequences are if you did do that. 

Maybe one of the real MD-PhD students will comment, but that was my understanding .