Premed 101 Forums

Interview with 2nd undergraduate degree

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone received (or know someone who received) an interview on the basis of a 2nd undergraduate degree? I know we can't know for sure since admissions doesn't reveal this information, but it would be great to know if anyone received an interview with a competitive 2nd degree gpa and a noncompetitive 1st degree gpa.

The gpa for my second degree is substantially higher than my first and I was going to outline the reasons for this in the academic explanations essay.

Thank you!

22 hours ago, pharmchefpremed said:

I did get an interview with a second degree this past cycle. As you mentioned there is no way to know for sure if that's all they took into account. I did right an e=academic explanation essay requesting consideration to use second degree. 

That's great to hear! Was there a large difference between your first and second degree gpa in terms of being competitive for you applicant pool?

1 hour ago, silverlinden said:

That's great to hear! Was there a large difference between your first and second degree gpa in terms of being competitive for you applicant pool?

The second degree was a pharmacy degree from the US and OMSAS would not give a GPA conversion so i am not sure whether it was being considered at all. That was my main reason for writing the explanation. I am not sure what GPA they eventually assigned to the second as i also requested weighting GPA (since the credits get very skewed with clinical rotations). The first degree was a 3.8.

15 hours ago, sg4697 said:

@pharmchefpremed do you mind me asking what reasons you gave in your academic explanation essay? 

I am non-trad so the second degree wasnt necessarily done to help improve the first.