Premed 101 Forums

Double listing NSERC USRA under Awards and Employment?

Hello all,

For UBC application, what are your opinions on double listing NSERC USRA under both Awards and Employment History?

The help guide says all paid research experience (including those paid by research grants) should go under employment history. I know a lot of people double list NSERC for OMSAS under awards and employment, but what's the consensus for UBC?

Thanks everyone!

My opinion is don't double-list. Serves a double purpose: 1) as you noted, double-listing of activities across sections isn't good, 2) avoiding double-listing means you get to have one more award on your app that wouldn't have been on there otherwise - potentially a bit more points (or fraction of a point who knows) that gets added on to your NAQ score

18 minutes ago, Excel-erate Your Breath said:

My opinion is don't double-list. Serves a double purpose: 1) as you noted, double-listing of activities across sections isn't good, 2) avoiding double-listing means you get to have one more award on your app that wouldn't have been on there otherwise - potentially a bit more points (or fraction of a point who knows) that gets added on to your NAQ score

Thanks for your reply, I will definitely list another award instead for UBC! How about for OMSAS though?

I would not double list for OMSAS! The school will read your ABS in its entirety so there's no point in listing it twice- they would just read it twice and wonder why you did that. As far as I know, the categories are just for classification purposes and don't mean anything beyond that

I don’t see any problem listing it in both for UBC. The employment entry is an opportunity to talk about skills you demonstrated beyond the fact that you got an ‘award’ to do it. The awards section does not provide a place where you can actually talk about the work you’re doing. If you have space, include the award. If not, include whichever is the more prestigious award.

When I applied, I listed the research assistant job under employment and my associated USRA under awards. Didn’t seem to be an issue.