Premed 101 Forums

HELP with GPA

Hello,

I'm currently a 2nd year student at UTSC. I had a first year cGPA of 2.11. I know, sad and pathetic. I wanted to know if I have a shot at the  UAlberta/UManitoba DDS program. I would like to specifically know about these programs because they accept after 2 year. My first year was scary because of some personal issues which means that I spent a lot of time crying. Or should I just switch universities?

UofT drops worst year

Western takes best 2 years

UBC drops worst year

Saskatchewan drops worst year 

alberta i think drops worst year

dalhousie takes last 60 credits from year of application

manitoba drops worst year

Mcgill is the only one that considers all years

Honestly, applying for dental school in 2nd year might be difficult in terms of admissions given the GPA but certainly not impossible! If you are keen in getting in early, I would try explaining the situation so the admissions committee can understand the nature of your grades and why there may be discrepancies.  If you wait until 4th year, many of the unis that I listed above give a "forgive" period that will be really helpful for GPAs. Don't be discouraged, you got this!!!!

On 9/10/2020 at 2:34 PM, toothgod said:

UofT drops worst year

Western takes best 2 years

UBC drops worst year

Saskatchewan drops worst year 

alberta i think drops worst year

dalhousie takes last 60 credits from year of application

manitoba drops worst year

Mcgill is the only one that considers all years

Honestly, applying for dental school in 2nd year might be difficult in terms of admissions given the GPA but certainly not impossible! If you are keen in getting in early, I would try explaining the situation so the admissions committee can understand the nature of your grades and why there may be discrepancies.  If you wait until 4th year, many of the unis that I listed above give a "forgive" period that will be really helpful for GPAs. Don't be discouraged, you got this!!!!

So if i apply in my third year, would they omit my first year?