Premed 101 Forums

UofA DAT requirement changes Fall 2021

Thoughts on UofA changing their DAT requriements for Fall 2021 admission? Taken directly from the admissions website: 

Given the current pandemic situation, the Canadian Dental Association is not able to safely offer the Manual Dexterity section for the November 2020 DAT. Therefore, the Manual Dexterity section will not be included in the evaluation of applicants for the 2021 admission cycle. Applicants will still need to present a minimum score of 15/30 in each of the Reading & Comprehension and Perceptual Ability sections.  The November 2020 DAT will be considered for Fall 2021 admission.

Personally, I think it is a bit unfair for those of us who have written the DAT prior to this cycle, and aimed to do really well in the MDT section. To have that not included in the DAT score calculation portion will impact those of us who scored really well on the MDT, considering most people do quite average on the RC and PAT sections (looking at past admissions statistics) How are they going to distinguish between applicants with similar GPAs and DAT scores? Will this potentially make interview cut offs even higher than past years?

I was thinking the exact same thing... lol I know personally, I was really counting on my MDT score to help my application, and I lost my morale a bit after I found out that they're not considering it anymore. my predictions are that this year's cut off is defs gonna be higher. Also, I think with online classes, its likely that GPAs are gonna be inflated this year and we also don't really know how the standardization of DAT scores is gonna work... given that not everyone's writing it on one day, but rather they're offering multiple dates this year. Alssooo, I know a lot of OOP ppl applying this year, since the MDT's not needed and that was often a barrier for OOP applicants so its likely that the applicant pool will be bigger this year 

U of A: "Given the current pandemic situation, the Canadian Dental Association is not able to safely offer the Manual Dexterity section for the November 2020 DAT. Therefore, the Manual Dexterity section will not be included in the evaluation of applicants for the 2021 admission cycle."

Seems like the CDA's still offering the mdt test in Quebec. Taken from the CDA site:

Since CDA DAT testing centres are not broadly available this year, the DAT Office has delegated the organization of the November 2020 and February 2021 MDT directly to Université Laval in Quebec City. This will help ensure that the MDT is administered safely and in accordance with all local requirements in Quebec. Applicants who need to take the MDT to meet 2021-2022 academic year admissions requirements must consult the website of the Université Laval Faculty of 

Why not do the same for Alberta?

• 3 weeks later...