Premed 101 Forums

Partial Course Load: How big of a disadvantage is it?

Hi,

I'm a UBC fourth year student and although I am taking a full course load this year, I have been taking 4 courses up to now while working in a family business for 20 hours a week. Do you guys know of people who have gotten into UBC Medicine that haven't taken full course loads? Is it extremely difficult to get in this way? I am asking because there isn't a concrete consensus on how much a lighter course load hurts your application. I would like to know of people who have gotten in with lighter course loads because if UBC really doesn't like applicants that aren't full time during their whole undergrad, then what's the point of me trying and spending years applying? Any information about knowing people who have gotten in with lighter course loads would be extremely helpful!

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Stressedfajita said:

Hi,

I'm a UBC fourth year student and although I am taking a full course load this year, I have been taking 4 courses up to now while working in a family business for 20 hours a week. Do you guys know of people who have gotten into UBC Medicine that haven't taken full course loads? Is it extremely difficult to get in this way? I am asking because there isn't a concrete consensus on how much a lighter course load hurts your application. I would like to know of people who have gotten in with lighter course loads because if UBC really doesn't like applicants that aren't full time during their whole undergrad, then what's the point of me trying and spending years applying? Any information about knowing people who have gotten in with lighter course loads would be extremely helpful!

Thanks!

I feel like I answer this question once a month, haha, it’s a major source of anxiety. Yes, UBC accepts people who don’t take full course loads. Lots of people have had lighter course loads, myself included, who were admitted.

They do expect you to demonstrate that you can handle hard work. There is a place on the application where you are asked to speak to why you took a part-time course load - there you can explain that in addition to 4 courses a term, you worked part-time. That’s probably more than sufficient. 

Hi @Stressedfajita

I can second what @frenchpress has said. UBC seems to accept lots of students with varied academic backgrounds. I had some very part-time semesters (2 courses) and I was still accepted. I did explain why I chose to do part time courses on my application. 

Some other medical schools in Canada have strict requirements, but UBC is not one of them. I would not let that discourage you at all. :) Good luck. 

27 minutes ago, Excel-erate Your Breath said:

@frenchpress obviously you aren't on the adcoms or anything but just wanted to ask you a question...so in my first year I did 18-credit semesters and a summer class, in my second year I did 15-credit semesters and a summer class, in my third year I did 15-credit semesters and a summer class, and now in my fourth year I wanted to take a bit of a break (also because there's literally not enough degree-based classes left for me to take, even as electives, that wouldn't be random first-year ones lol).

So, right now I'm in my fourth year doing 10-credit semesters (13-credit semesters if you count the credits I get for doing an Honours thesis). My question to you is: since none of my semesters were actually part-time, where on the UBC med application would I explain my situation regarding my fourth year (I've already submitted my app so this question is asked assuming I don't get in this year, which is always good to plan for in this process)? Basically Im just gonna explain how I'm going ham on ECs this year alongside juggling an Honours thesis, which should be enough (imo) to explain away the fact that I'm taking less-than-15-credits-per-semester this year

There’s a box that asks you to explain part-time terms, I would still put it there, even if it’s not technically part time it is less than 15 credits so it’s reasonable. If it’s your last year, you certainly say you’re part time because you wanted to focused more time on hobbies and volunteering. But you can also just say you did part time terms because that’s all you needed to do to finish your degree in your last year.

5 minutes ago, frenchpress said:

There’s a box that asks you to explain part-time terms, I would still put it there, even if it’s not technically part time it is less than 15 credits so it’s reasonable. If it’s your last year, you certainly say you’re part time because you wanted to focused more time on hobbies and volunteering. But you can also just say you did part time terms because that’s all you needed to do to finish your degree in your last year.

I will save this response for next year's cycle! Thanks for the help yo