Premed 101 Forums

Postdoc/phd hoping to apply to MD school

Dr.H

Hi! 

I am a post doc who is hoping to apply to MD schools. What are my chances in Canada/US with my stats?

Completed BSc, MSc and PhD, in 1st postdoc.

GPA: Undergard GPA 3.2 (first year 3.4, summer of first year 1.8, Second year 2.5, terrible in first semester (1.7) and better in second semester (3.3), summer of second 3.5, third year 3.7, summer of third year 2.7, fourth year 3.8). MSc Gpa 4.0, PhD GPA 3.8.

ECs: I have many ECs: clubs, conferences, lectures, speaker/panels, hospital volunteers, RA employment, non-profit, etc. 

Publications: 15 publications, 6 first author

MCAT: I have been practicing for the MCAT and am at about 500, 127 in cars, hope to increase that to 505-510

Hi! I can't speak to US schools, but unfortunately your undergrad GPA will really hold you back for Canadian schools. Most, if not all, schools in Canada look at undergrad GPA only and don't count grad school grades at all. If you want to be competitive in Canada, you will likely have to do a second undergrad (some accelerated programs allow you to do this in 2-3 years which would make you eligible for some schools such as Queen's that only look at 2 year GPA)

You have a really good shot in the US with a decent MCAT score

You should also consider maybe just doing CARS and applying to Mac, they love non-traditional applicants (from what I've heard)

Overall, your ECs and non-academic background is really strong, so a good CASPer/CARS will mean a good shot at some Canadian and many US schools 

16 minutes ago, PreMed#219099 said:

You have a really good shot in the US with a decent MCAT score

You should also consider maybe just doing CARS and applying to Mac, they love non-traditional applicants (from what I've heard)

Overall, your ECs and non-academic background is really strong, so a good CASPer/CARS will mean a good shot at some Canadian and many US schools 

Thank you so much! What should I aim for with the CARS?

If that's your OMSAS GPA you have a shot at Western/Queens. Not a great one for Queens (you're on the edge of their GPA screen) but using CASPer this year should push it down a bit. Both put weight on the MCAT so you'll need to score at least a 127 in each of the sections to be safe, although this fluctuates, (total score of at least ~508 for Queens, although this changes year to year). 

Assuming you live in Ontario those are your only 2 options that you have a decent shot at beating screens and getting your ECs looked at. With a 3.2 cGPA you need at least a 128 (any lower is mathematically impossible, and even then, you need top 5% CASPer performance witha  128). Max out your CARS and you still need to be in the top quarter for CASPer, so really, really, emphasize CARS to have a shot. 

Ottawa/Toronto/NOSM are out, as are OOP schools. No idea for the States. 

40 minutes ago, bearded frog said:

With a 3.2 unless he has some amazing research, 99% mcat, and a legit reason why his undergrad GPA is so low, he isn't going to far in USMD. Consider USDO?

I mean he/she mentions they have a PhD and postdoc, so I'm assuming a really strong research background 

DO may be something to consider

12 minutes ago, PreMed#219099 said:

I mean he/she mentions they have a PhD and postdoc, so I'm assuming a really strong research background 

DO may be something to consider

Not all research is the same. If this person has nature/NEJM first author papers its very different than 4th author geology papers. You need more of the former to overcome that much of a GPA hurdle.

14 hours ago, bearded frog said:

Not all research is the same. If this person has nature/NEJM first author papers its very different than 4th author geology papers. You need more of the former to overcome that much of a GPA hurdle.

Hi, I have about 15 publications, 6 are first authored, IF 2.5-6