Premed 101 Forums

Older Activities Compared to More Recent Activities

Hey Everyone!

I'm wondering if anyone has any insight on how UBC views older activities compared to more recent ones. For example, I took part in the same activity in High School and in University, both 4-year commitments. However, I did about double the hours in high school and had a leadership role in my final year, VS less hours and no leadership role in university. I don't want to include both since they would have basically the same description. 

Any insight on this would be highly appreciated!! Thanks in advance :)

23 minutes ago, mountaincaller said:

Hey Everyone!

I'm wondering if anyone has any insight on how UBC views older activities compared to more recent ones. For example, I took part in the same activity in High School and in University, both 4-year commitments. However, I did about double the hours in high school and had a leadership role in my final year, VS less hours and no leadership role in university. I don't want to include both since they would have basically the same description. 

Any insight on this would be highly appreciated!! Thanks in advance :)

If it’s the same activity, why not just list it once and include all the hours, and explain it crossed both high school and university? Demonstrating progression from simply helping to taking on a leadership role, even if not for the whole thing, would be a valuable thing to communicate as well. 

10 minutes ago, frenchpress said:

If it’s the same activity, why not just list it once and include all the hours, and explain it crossed both high school and university? Demonstrating progression from simply helping to taking on a leadership role, even if not for the whole thing, would be a valuable thing to communicate as well. 

Thanks for your reply! I did it under different supervision since I moved cities, so I can't use the same verifier unfortunately.

3 hours ago, mountaincaller said:

Thanks for your reply! I did it under different supervision since I moved cities, so I can't use the same verifier unfortunately.

Ah, I see. Depending on how well you know the verifier, you could potentially explain to them what you were putting for the activity length and ask them to verify the whole thing, even though they only were directly involved in one part. Even for people who do everything in the same organization, a verifier hasn’t necessarily always been there as long as you. I had to ask several people to verify activities for me for which they only had some direct knowledge.