Premed 101 Forums

Help Inputting Second Undergrad Degree on OMSAS

yeescience

Hey All,

I'm having some difficulty inputting my second undergraduate degree in my OMSAS academic background. I started a second undergrad degree this Sept as a third year student in a 4-year honours program. Technically speaking, the end date of my 4-year honours program is on 2022-04. However, I haven't decided yet if I will complete the fourth year yet (I'm just doing this to boost my GPA) cause I may decide to graduate with a 3-year BSc non-honours instead, which should not be a problem. I am just wondering how other applicants with a second undergrad degree and/or third year applicants from a 4-year honours program filled out this section? Thanks! Below are the sections confusing me:

Start Date: pretty straight forward, 2020-09

End Date: does not let me input a date past 2021 so I couldn't put the end date if I were to complete 4 years (2022-04) so I put down the date as if I were to complete 3 years only (2021-04)

Type of degree***: 3 year or 4 year?? I want to put 4-year since this is technically what shows up on my transcript (Honours Biology) but I am afraid that this would be confusing in terms of my start/end dates? Any suggestions?

Degree (Confer) Date Expected: 2021-06 or 2022-06? Like above, I am unsure whether to include this date as if I would be completing the 4-year honours degree or if I end up transferring to a 3-year BSc non-honours version?

3 hours ago, yeescience said:

Hey All,

I'm having some difficulty inputting my second undergraduate degree in my OMSAS academic background. I started a second undergrad degree this Sept as a third year student in a 4-year honours program. Technically speaking, the end date of my 4-year honours program is on 2022-04. However, I haven't decided yet if I will complete the fourth year yet (I'm just doing this to boost my GPA) cause I may decide to graduate with a 3-year BSc non-honours instead, which should not be a problem. I am just wondering how other applicants with a second undergrad degree and/or third year applicants from a 4-year honours program filled out this section? Thanks! Below are the sections confusing me:

Start Date: pretty straight forward, 2020-09

End Date: does not let me input a date past 2021 so I couldn't put the end date if I were to complete 4 years (2022-04) so I put down the date as if I were to complete 3 years only (2021-04)

Type of degree***: 3 year or 4 year?? I want to put 4-year since this is technically what shows up on my transcript (Honours Biology) but I am afraid that this would be confusing in terms of my start/end dates? Any suggestions?

Degree (Confer) Date Expected: 2021-06 or 2022-06? Like above, I am unsure whether to include this date as if I would be completing the 4-year honours degree or if I end up transferring to a 3-year BSc non-honours version?

I had a similar problem when I applied out of third year! I emailed OMSAS and basically they only let you put the end date to 2021 because you're applying with the assumption that you're going to get into med school, but I would definitely still put that it's a four year honours program. This shouldn't be a problem at all, and is exactly what I did, and I also changed and graduated with a 3 year BSc once I got in

On 9/15/2020 at 5:57 PM, Psych said:

I had a similar problem when I applied out of third year! I emailed OMSAS and basically they only let you put the end date to 2021 because you're applying with the assumption that you're going to get into med school, but I would definitely still put that it's a four year honours program. This shouldn't be a problem at all, and is exactly what I did, and I also changed and graduated with a 3 year BSc once I got in

Thank you for your response! If you ended up putting down a 4-year degree, how did you fill out the next two final questions by any chance? Any further guidance would be very much appreciated. :)

Degree Status: Expected or non-expected

Degree Date: *this is required if put "expected" in degree status* but it says to provide date if it is expected at the end of the current academic year

6 hours ago, yeescience said:

Thank you for your response! If you ended up putting down a 4-year degree, how did you fill out the next two final questions by any chance? Any further guidance would be very much appreciated. :)

Degree Status: Expected or non-expected

Degree Date: *this is required if put "expected" in degree status* but it says to provide date if it is expected at the end of the current academic year

I'm not 100% sure but I think I said "not-expected", and I think if you click the little information arrows on the application it tells you what to do for that part! I could be wrong but that's what I remember at least :)