Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, marcoyolo said:

It was very challenging. Two minutes to answer the question and part of the two minutes was reading the question itself. I was woefully unprepared. 

Yep :( Very challenging 

Also didn't feel like preparing really helped me. It was like the casper - the time limit and the test itself goes by so fast - you're pretty much going to say what you're going to say 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Scrubadubdub said:

Yep :( Very challenging 

Also didn't feel like preparing really helped me. It was like the casper - the time limit and the test itself goes by so fast - you're pretty much going to say what you're going to say 

If you don't mind me asking, what did you do to prepare?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you both @marcoyolo and @Scrubadubdub for sharing. Would you say that prepping as you would for an interview would be advisable or are the questions so off the wall that it really doesn't matter?

Thankfully Dal hasn't said how they're going to use this and it's likely going to be a challenge for everybody, so hopefully this is a minor component of our application. Cheers CASPer :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I definitely utilized the sample questions they give you before starting- there’s two. Did both a couple of times to get used to reading the prompt and talking. It is challenging- you have to read the question and think and respond all while the timer is counting down and it’s recording you haha. 
I reviewed my application and looked up some tips on taking one-way interviews on the internet! None of my questions were situational like the actual CASPer- they were all like personal questions about me as an applicant. Felt more like a job interview- i.e. know your strengths and weaknesses, etc. 
You’ll be fine though! It’s really not awful, I only took like 30 minutes to do this stuff and prepare beforehand! The worst part is after you’re done and you think of ways you could’ve answered the question better instead of rambling lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Took it today, feel similar to @mastermucocele. My advice is that you might not need all two minutes to answer a question therefore you should pause and think before answering. I've sat on merit boards and those who tend to come across as better candidates take 5-10 seconds in silence to consolidate their thoughts before answering the question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey there - just took the snapshot. 

Lemme tell ya - it was SO tough to think on the spot and come up with an answer in the two minute time frame. I had one question that I also found to be very intriguing and had to think for a little longer than I normally would. I found some interview questions online and practiced recording myself answering them and listening back, not sure if it was helpful though. @coffee coffee , there was no option to send it to any programs so I believe that they will be able to access it when they need it, as long as you have released your CASPer score to them! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, BigDreamer said:

Hey there - just took the snapshot. 

Lemme tell ya - it was SO tough to think on the spot and come up with an answer in the two minute time frame. I had one question that I also found to be very intriguing and had to think for a little longer than I normally would. I found some interview questions online and practiced recording myself answering them and listening back, not sure if it was helpful though. @coffee coffee , there was no option to send it to any programs so I believe that they will be able to access it when they need it, as long as you have released your CASPer score to them! 

How long did you prepare for? I'm currently looking up interview questions to have examples ready to talk about, then was going to move to recording myself. Again, not exactly sure how to prepare or if it's even useful, like you said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, PopShoppe said:

How long did you prepare for? I'm currently looking up interview questions to have examples ready to talk about, then was going to move to recording myself. Again, not exactly sure how to prepare or if it's even useful, like you said.

Just went over some general interview questions, thought about my answers for a few days (i.e. who is someone you look up to/why?, what's your favourite book, why do you want to go into this profession). 
I found the questions to be similar to any job interview. Slightly introspective, so nothing you can overly prepare for.
Definitely used the practice questions they had a couple times, watched my recordings to make sure I was giving enough eye contact. 
Also took the first few seconds of each question to gather my thoughts before answering - didn't always use the whole time allotted!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, rli2 said:

Just went over some general interview questions, thought about my answers for a few days (i.e. who is someone you look up to/why?, what's your favourite book, why do you want to go into this profession). 
I found the questions to be similar to any job interview. Slightly introspective, so nothing you can overly prepare for.
Definitely used the practice questions they had a couple times, watched my recordings to make sure I was giving enough eye contact. 
Also took the first few seconds of each question to gather my thoughts before answering - didn't always use the whole time allotted!

This is great stuff, thanks for sharing your experience! I guess it's like CASPer in that you can't overly prepare for it, of course that doesn't help settle the nerves much lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, PopShoppe said:

This is great stuff, thanks for sharing your experience! I guess it's like CASPer in that you can't overly prepare for it, of course that doesn't help settle the nerves much lol.

on the bright side it's pretty quick haha! And less intimidating in that you're not directly speaking with someone - basically having a conversation with yourself 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, PopShoppe said:

How long did you prepare for? I'm currently looking up interview questions to have examples ready to talk about, then was going to move to recording myself. Again, not exactly sure how to prepare or if it's even useful, like you said.

I personally had been casually going through interview questions since the summer, just to start thinking about different ideas to talk about and so that it doesnt feel scripted. But specifically for Snapshot, I prepped for a few days by recording myself answering questions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/24/2020 at 8:55 PM, Spleen said:

@bigdreamer  Would you say the practice snapshot were accurate representations of the questions you received on the real thing?

I would say no - the practice snapshot questions were quite basic compared to the questions I received. I was so flustered that I think I rambled a bit and digressed way off topic. But it was so quick so it was over in no time and you don't really have a chance to think about what you could have answered until you are completely done 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Sun_Moon said:

Did anyone get an email from Dal Admissions as a final reminder saying that the CASPer snapshot needs to be completed. I completed it 2 weeks ago.

I also did and completed about a week ago - says to disregard if you've already done it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...