Premed 101 Forums

Top 10 "Description" vs "Impact"

Have you watched the admissions webinar? I'd imagine they explain this in detail. 

Beyond that, what I did (which lead to a great pre-interview score, unfortunately I got 3 hours of sleep the night before and bombed it...)  was stick to the factual descriptions for the "Description" and talk about the significance to me in the other section. 

Description: Tutored a variety of students. Blah blah blah. 

Impact. Tutoring taught me many things about XYZ. One instance I remember... Etc...

Your verifier will see your description but not your impact so that's a good clue for which is for what kind of writing. 

Good to know abt verifier. Do you think its fine to still provide more detail in the impact section? I sort of used it to tell a story, with different aspects of the experience & meaning to me if that makes sense. Also sorry to hear abt your interview, best of luck this year (if you are applying)!

I got into a better school for me so all ended well. 

The short answer is it's going to be tough to not introduce some extra detail into impact, just don't overdo it. 

For example (let's stick with tutoring):

Description: Tutored... people. By doing... Somethings. 

Impact: I talked about the overall impact on me, and then (where I felt it wasn't forced), added details of short stories. So for tutoring it might be "I was tutoring this child with learning disabilities once and we had a breakthrough and that taught me a lot about the importance of being patient and understanding" (Made up example, but that kinda idea). Calgary seems to love it when you talk about how experiences changed how you approach life or taught you something. 

As always I'll add a caveat that I don't know what Calgary's looking for, so watch the webinar and read the guide, but what I outlined above got me a top 10% pre-interview score (with great stats admittedly).