Premed 101 Forums

planning on taking Athabasca courses to strengthen gpa for application... thoughts?

In the last year of my biochem undergrad, my GPA was 3.3-3.5 but unfortunately, that was also my highest year. i was planning to take easy GPA booster classes at Athabasca so that queens and UWO will only look at my last undergrad year and the Athabasca year gpa. I also plan on doing a master's before applying, though i know UWO doesn't care about masters.

has anyone ever done this and if so what was your experience? what are med schools' thoughts on Athabasca courses? i dont know much about Athabasca but i read on **DELETED** that there are certain courses that are not transferrable or that they may only transfer to a 1st or 2nd year course, does anyone know how transfer courses works?

ive just recalculated my last year and its a 3.5. my plan was to take that year of online easy classes at athabasca and then apply to schools like queens and UWO that take the two best/last years, do you still think that its not worth a shot if i was able to get 3.8-4.0 in all of those easy gpa booster classes?

On 9/20/2020 at 1:30 PM, ebhnw20 said:

ive just recalculated my last year and its a 3.5. my plan was to take that year of online easy classes at athabasca and then apply to schools like queens and UWO that take the two best/last years, do you still think that its not worth a shot if i was able to get 3.8-4.0 in all of those easy gpa booster classes?

The other consideration you may be missing: if you can only get strong grades in easy gpa booster courses, and cannot figure out a way to succeed in more difficult courses, you may find you really struggle in medical school. Sure, maybe if the only reason you have a 3.5 average is that you haven’t been applying yourself, and maybe you could suddenly change your behaviour and start excelling once in medical school. But if you’re not used to pushing yourself, that approach could easily backfire.