Premed 101 Forums

Exposure in a hospital doesn’t matter - you’ll note if you read through the help guide that exposure to medical settings does not come up as an evaluation criteria. Choose whichever NAQ entries the show the most length of commitment and most significant responsibility, and that most fulfill those criteria they are evaluating on. 

On 9/22/2020 at 1:59 AM, frenchpress said:

Exposure in a hospital doesn’t matter - you’ll note if you read through the help guide that exposure to medical settings does not come up as an evaluation criteria. Choose whichever NAQ entries the show the most length of commitment and most significant responsibility, and that most fulfill those criteria they are evaluating on. 

Similar story here - wondering (if I don't get in this cycle, which is always something to prep for in this process whilst ofc always hoping for the best) if I should drop my entry of doing 60 hours of hospital volunteering between 2015 and 2017 in favour of something like a weight loss journey entry. Didn't put the weight loss thing on this year's app because I didn't think of it as a possible EC entry but tbh now I'm realizing that it could be, I estimate it'd be around 400 hours by the time the next application cycle rolls around (estimated at 5 hours per week of working out).

But I've also heard that those fitness-type NAQs are regarded as a bit of a joke, i.e. it doesn't really show any quality that a physician would be expected to have. It is ultimately a pretty selfish endeavour like I am on this weight loss journey for myself and not dedicating my time for anyone else or anything. Thoughts?

30 minutes ago, Excel-erate Your Breath said:

Similar story here - wondering (if I don't get in this cycle, which is always something to prep for in this process whilst ofc always hoping for the best) if I should drop my entry of doing 60 hours of hospital volunteering between 2015 and 2017 in favour of something like a weight loss journey entry (I was at 30 BMI at the beginning of 2020 and currently down to 25 right now, will of course keep progressing on this journey each day). Didn't put the weight loss thing on this year's app because I didn't think of it as a possible EC entry but tbh now I'm realizing that it could be, I estimate it'd be around 400 hours by the time the next application cycle rolls around (estimated at 5 hours per week of working out).

But I've also heard that those fitness-type NAQs are regarded as a bit of a joke, i.e. it doesn't really show any quality that a physician would be expected to have. It is ultimately a pretty selfish endeavour like I am on this weight loss journey for myself and not dedicating my time for anyone else or anything. Thoughts?

For extra context I'll still have some hospital exp. on my app, under employment experiences I worked at the hospital in my town for about 2.5 years (8-12 hours a week) between 2016 and 2018

I recall somewhere in the help guide they specifically say that they don’t so much want you to tell them how you’re like a physician, they want you to tell them things about yourself. I can’t say which is better, but whichever shows more about you, your commitment and your work ethic is maybe the more interesting one to include. Personally I think a BMI decrease of 5 points is pretty impressive - must have been a lot of work!

5 minutes ago, frenchpress said:

I recall somewhere in the help guide they specifically say that they don’t so much want you to tell them how you’re like a physician, they want you to tell them things about yourself. I can’t say which is better, but whichever shows more about you, your commitment and your work ethic is maybe the more interesting one to include. Personally I think a BMI decrease of 5 points is pretty impressive - must have been a lot of work!

Yeah it was definitely a grind but can't stop here! It's gotta be a lifestyle not a transient "phase." Thanks for the tips though!

On 9/24/2020 at 10:20 PM, Excel-erate Your Breath said:

Yeah it was definitely a grind but can't stop here! It's gotta be a lifestyle not a transient "phase." Thanks for the tips though!

WOW that's amazing!! I also embarked on a weight loss journey starting in May, went from 27.5 down to 24.5. I mostly just tried intermittent fasting (skipped dinner) and due to Covid, I did a lot of YouTube cardio exercise, almost every morning :) 

How about you, what did you do? 

On 9/27/2020 at 10:48 PM, Fast_Layne said:

WOW that's amazing!! I also embarked on a weight loss journey starting in May, went from 27.5 down to 24.5. I mostly just tried intermittent fasting (skipped dinner) and due to Covid, I did a lot of YouTube cardio exercise, almost every morning :) 

How about you, what did you do? 

Honestly I wasn't living an unhealthy lifestyle before! (I know that sounds stupid but let me explain lol) like I used to only eat healthy whole foods and never consume liquid calories in the first place, but I just was consuming too much. All I did was actually start recording everything that went into my body in an app and that let me gauge like oh okay I can only have a banana for the rest of the day if I want to stay in my calorie deficit for the day (just as a random example). i.e. for my height and weight I usually try to eat no more than 1500 calories every day. I didn't want to start some type of diet or a feeding window thing because I knew there would be day by day variations (ex. eating at 6pm one night instead of 4 30pm) so I was like let me just keep it as basic as possible

And outside of that just twice a day (morning and late afternoon) working out, during lockdown it was all bodyweight stuff but once gyms started opening (idk if they have where you live but for my town it was like July) I started doing that. Usually cardio mornings weight training afternoon

To go down 3 BMI from just May til now is so good!! Well played that's awesome