Premed 101 Forums

So Ottawa doesn't look at your total undergrad cGPA (as calculated by OMSAS), they only look at your recent 3 years?

2 hours ago, M3P0 said:

I thought the 3 year thing they do was their version of a "weighted GPA" and our total undergrad GPA was their cGPA. And they use whichever one is higher to assess whether we meet the cutoff.

sounds more like Queen's approach (but with 2 years)

Ottawa just changed their rules to the past 3 years - prior they had a weighted system in past where newer years counted more. 

13 hours ago, rmorelan said:

sounds more like Queen's approach (but with 2 years)

Ottawa just changed their rules to the past 3 years - prior they had a weighted system in past where newer years counted more. 

Queens approach is they have a the 2 year GPA or your total undergrad GPA, and they assess based on the higher one. I think ottawa is just one type of GPA: last 3 full time years (I guess if your years weren't full time then they would look at your total undergrad GPA, but it's not like they calculate two and then assess the higher one). Guess I'm not qualified for Ottawa :( oh well.

3 hours ago, M3P0 said:

Queens approach is they have a the 2 year GPA or your total undergrad GPA, and they assess based on the higher one. I think ottawa is just one type of GPA: last 3 full time years (I guess if your years weren't full time then they would look at your total undergrad GPA, but it's not like they calculate two and then assess the higher one). Guess I'm not qualified for Ottawa :( oh well.

you are right about Queens - the fact that they  automatically take the best of the two options is quite good actually :)

Ottawa would still use it is rules for those where you took less than 5.0 credits for the year to see if they can make it work etc for the last three years (that hasn't changed). I am not aware of them ever defaulting to looking at your total UG GPA - you have to have 3 years that work for the system (this prevents people from applying there if they have say nothing but part time years no matter how long they were in school).