Premed 101 Forums

CaRMS photos

Generally speaking, you'll see a huge variety in pretty much everything, including background (I've seen different people use each of the examples you gave), clothing (for guys, tie vs. no tie, suit vs. no suit, glasses vs. no glasses), but one consistent thing is that it's a headshot. There's some guidance on the CaRMS website as well.

At UBC, a lot of people use a professional photographer (this one in particular does a lot of Carms headshots: http://sarbglaze.com/portfolio/professional-headshots-and-portraits/). While it was a fun experience getting photos taken, I also had friends from other schools who had people take photos of them for free. I honestly don't think it matters too much as long as you look professional.

On 9/23/2020 at 11:50 PM, James Nystead said:

@lolz3 @SillyPanda @1D7 Just so we are on the same page, headshot means shoulders (level of the clavicle ish) and up correct? 

Could you find the information on the CaRMS website as I was not able to, much appreciated thank you

https://www.carms.ca/match/r-1-main-residency-match/applicant/application-process-documents-r1/documents-r1/

Very little guidance, but some. As SillyPanda said, most people wore a fancy top (blouse, blazer or suit). Another thing is think of how you might want your hospital ID badge to look as well since some places just have you submit a headshot for it too which might lean you towards a plain/professional background more.

Really there's no need to go to too much trouble to get the most professional CaRMS photo especially if it will cost you a lot of money. I took one for a friend I met on elective in the hallway in the hospital (happened to be a plain white background), and it worked perfectly well. Just as others have said, make sure you are not dressed too casually. 

No need for professional photos. Our committee just needs them to remember who you are. We put print out the pictures of all the interviewees and put them on the whiteboard, discuss, and rearrange, to come up with the rank order list. We do a lot of "put that one in front of that one!"

A nice head shot with professional attire and nice smile in a plain background is fine. Make sure it's in colour and not black and white. One candidate sent us black and white and we were all wtf?