Premed 101 Forums

What Should I Do? PLEASE HELP, I NEED ADVICE!

Hi everyone! I hope you're all doing well today :)

I'm on here looking for a little bit of advice... In my first year of undergrad, during my first semester I scored a D in chemistry, but during second semester I got it up to an A-. Other than that, I got all As/A+s. If I take out that D from my gpa, my gpa (unweighted) would be a 3.97, but with it, it's a 3.8 (these are the projected numbers for when I apply during third year, I'm currently in second year). I want to apply during my third year to UofT and maybe one or two other med schools. I already have a bunch of extracurriculars/activities that would really make me stand out in my application, good references, and a genuine story on why I want to be a doctor. My only problem is that 3.8, which could be a 3.97 without that chem mark. I was hoping you guys can help me figure out what option is best for me, or at least give me your opinion... do you guys think I should: 

a. write an academic explanations essay to talk about why I did so bad (My reason: my family was going through some financial issues- we were/are living below the poverty line- and I was worried about keeping my marks up in the other courses to maintain my scholarship, so I kind of got my self into a mess with my mental health because of all of the pressure I was under, and almost flunked chem)

b. Just apply and shoot my shot with a 3.8 (It was still technically my fault that I got the D in chem. So I just have to suck it up and take the hit)

c. Don't apply during third year and use the weighted gpa system during my fourth year. (I really wanted to apply and hopefully get in during third year because that would've meant I don't have to pay for my fourth year of undergrad. As much as I love my undergrad experience and what I'm studying, I really wanted to minimize the costs, if possible). 

I would really appreciate your input!! Thank you guys for all of your help <3 

*Edit: Typo

11 hours ago, stressedbunny said:

Hi everyone! I hope you're all doing well today :)

I'm on here looking for a little bit of advice... In my first year of undergrad, during my first semester I scored a D in chemistry, but during second semester I got it up to an A-. Other than that, I got all As/A+s. If I take out that D from my gpa, my gpa (unweighted) would be a 3.97, but with it, it's a 3.8 (these are the projected numbers for when I apply during third year, I'm currently in second year). I want to apply during my third year to UofT and maybe one or two other med schools. I already have a bunch of extracurriculars/activities that would really make me stand out in my application, good references, and a genuine story on why I want to be a doctor. My only problem is that 3.8, which could be a 3.97 without that chem mark. I was hoping you guys can help me figure out what option is best for me, or at least give me your opinion... do you guys think I should: 

a. write an academic explanations essay to talk about why I did so bad (My reason: my family was going through some financial issues- we were/are living below the poverty line- and I was worried about keeping my marks up in the other courses to maintain my scholarship, so I kind of got my self into a mess with my mental health because of all of the pressure I was under, and almost flunked chem)

b. Just apply and shoot my shot with a 3.8 (It was still technically my fault that I got the D in chem. So I just have to suck it up and take the hit)

c. Don't apply during third year and use the weighted gpa system during my fourth year. (I really wanted to apply and hopefully get in during third year because that would've meant I don't have to pay for my fourth year of undergrad. As much as I love my undergrad experience and what I'm studying, I really wanted to minimize the costs, if possible). 

I would really appreciate your input!! Thank you guys for all of your help <3 

*Edit: Typo

If you want to get in after third year, I recommend uOttawa and Mac- from my experience they take a lot more third years than u of T and Queen's. If you're super set on u of T, it will be more difficult to get in (but not impossible) so I would probably wait until fourth year, but that's more of a risk. Getting into med school is a bit of a luck game so being dead set on one school unfortunately doesn't work out in a lot of cases