Premed 101 Forums

Chances for CaRMS (EM) if willing to go anywhere in Canada?

Lots of questions about CaRMS from me rn! As the subject heading says, if someone is willing to go *anywhere* in Canada for their residency, how much more likely to get a spot would they be? I am mainly interested in EM, but enjoyed what I have experienced of IM so far. Is there a statistic on the website that can show match rate for a specialty based on # of sites ranked? If I backed up EM with IM, what is the likelihood of switching (if I wanted to) into EM at a school with spots? 

Forgive me if this is nonsense, it has been a long day of lectures, I am tired and isolated and match-anxiety is creeping up on me. I feel like I'm not doing enough to make myself competitive and I'm terrified of not matching or of not matching to my preferred specialty. Feeling so neurotic about this right now, but don't have many people who know about this to ask, so here I am! If you don't feel like posting publicly please message me, I would appreciate any insight.

On 10/6/2020 at 2:50 PM, Meningocoele said:

Lots of questions about CaRMS from me rn!

From my experience, a significant majority of applicants will apply broadly across Canada, and those limited by geography will be the exception. If applying to a relatively less compeditive speciality, ie FM, and they get lots of interviews, they might withdraw some less desirable locations or they may not rank some places, but it would be folly not to apply in the first place. Generally those that are geography restricted, ie have families, will tend to target less compeditive speicailities in the first place. That is to say, when you look at the stats out there, you should assume most people are applying everywhere, especially in the more compeditive fields like EM, so the match rate that's out there would apply.

Can't predict your transferring chances. Dependant on too many variables. It happens but odds are not that great overall, so don't back up with something you couldn't see yourself doing. Better chances if you match at a place with a large EM program, but it would depend on why you didn't match in the first place. If you think you'd do ICU or something instead then its not unreasonable to back up with IM. The other option would be to back up with family then gun for the +1 ER fellowship from the start.