Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest UTMed07

Result: Accepted

Timestamp: May 14th

GPA: 3.95+

MCAT: 520+

ECs: Well-rounded, PM if curious

Essays: Very last minute

Interview: Easiest interview out of any medical school, feels like they are just screening for baseline human decency. 

Year: UG

Geography: IP 

Will be declining

Accepted to St. George Campus

Timestamp: May 14th, 9:17 AM

wGPA: ~3.94

MCAT: 516 (128/128/130/130)

ECs: 7 years as a lifeguard and swim instructor, Student recruitment position at the university I attended, numerous university clubs (mental health awareness, tutoring positions, etc). Hospital volunteering (2 years), medical mission volunteer in Haiti, Rotary club member, guest speaker at leadership conference, etc. Message me for more details if you want. What I would really like to add in here (to give some hope to future applicants) is that I had practically no research experience. I only had one entry for the research section of OMSAS and I was really just a research assistant in a psych lab for a few months with incredibly minimal hours over the time span and NO publications to my name whatsoever. For those of you without research, don't count yourself out! We are all unique and not everyone needs to do research! I personally always stood by doing stuff I enjoy, not just things I thought would make me "look good", and research just wasn't my thing. 

Essays: Felt okay about them. Had my family edit them numerous times over for me, but that's about it. Really tried to add in my personal experience wherever I could, which I think helped to make them memorable. 

Interview: Coming out of it, I felt pretty good. My first station was my best, and she told me to relax because I was doing really well, which really boosted my confidence. The second station, I had a tougher time with. Felt okay about it, not good but not bad.  Felt okay about how I delivered my answer, but didn't think the content of what I presented was all that great, if that makes sense. The third station was pretty good - had some things in common and the interviewer was very nice. Fourth station is where I thought I lost it - interviewer completely stone faced, and looked confused with what I was saying. Felt like I rambled a bit. Overall, I came out feeling pretty good besides a few little bumps. About a day later, I convinced myself it was a horrible interview and that I stood no chance basically. Second guessed what I said for weeks. I guess my immediate post-interview feelings were more accurate.

Year: Finishing up masters program (course-based)

I have been waiting to post here for years! Feels so good and am very excited. Will either be accepting this offer or Mac. Don't give up on your dreams guys! I wish all of you the best. I know how tough this journey is - I took the MCAT four times, applied 2 full cycles without any interviews before finally being given a shot on my third cycle, took a year off after undergrad, and did a one-year masters. The dream is absolutely possible. Keep working hard! If anyone needs any advice or encouragement or anything, please message me!

21 minutes ago, momomonster112 said:

Hey all! Long time lurker here. Just accepted my offer this is the BEST DAY OF MY LIFE.

wGPA: 3.69

cGPA: 3.5

MCAT: 501

DOMINATED the interview, strong EC's, outstanding LOR's. First time I applied super excited!

DUDDEEEE, can I please PM you? How did you get in with such a low GPA? can we talk.

47 minutes ago, momomonster112 said:

Hey all! Long time lurker here. Just accepted my offer this is the BEST DAY OF MY LIFE.

wGPA: 3.69

cGPA: 3.5

MCAT: 501

DOMINATED the interview, strong EC's, outstanding LOR's. First time I applied super excited!

I would very much like to PM you. Sounds like a miracle. Congratulations!

Really excited to be posting this to a few different threads... This is my third cycle applying to medical schools across Canada. The first time (2016) I was rejected from 6 schools post-interview, the second time I was waitlisted to U of A but never got off the waitlist. I then took a year off from applying to graduate from my Physiotherapy degree and work for a bit to save up money and gain experience. AND I FINALLY RECEIVED MY FIRST ACCEPTANCE THIS YEAR (4 acceptances, 1 waitlist). I am still in shock, this process has filled me with more self-doubt than anything else in my life, and there were so many times where I questioned if I was good enough and debated giving up. To all those that didn't receive good news today, please don't give up on your dreams! Trust me, it will be worth it.

Result: Accepted

Geography: OOP (From AB)

GPA: 3.95 for OMSAS

MCAT: 514 (127/130/128/129)

Degree: Bachelor of Science in Human Kinetics (2016), Masters of Science in Physical Therapy (Dec 2018)

E.C: Variety, I have worked in a hospital in Calgary as Physical Therapist for the past 5 months, I compete in Powerlifting (have competed at the national and world level for Team Canada), was on the University rowing and swimming team, President of 2 clubs in university, Medical Volunteer trip to Nepal, Habitat for Humanity, Feed the Hungry, etc. Random jobs (Earl's, Starbucks, Ringette Referee, etc). Haven't done any research (which is something my application has always been missing)

Interview: Very hard to tell, I have had so many interviews and have been unsuccessful at all of them so I never get my hopes up anymore. I just tried to be myself. Interviews have always been the weakest part of my application. I am very social and able to make friends and connections with my patients, but something about bragging about myself has always been uncomfortable for me. My first round of applying, I didn't practice at all and was always concerned about feeling too conceited. I have learnt the hard way that you can't be successful in Med school interviews trying to be modest. The past few years I have practiced talking about my accomplishments with confidence and not trying to down play them, which has finally paid off!

After changing my mind 1000x, I have finally decided that I will be declining for U of A, but SO SO excited to finally be able to say I did it after all this time. Congratulations to everyone else that has gotten accepted, especially those that have taken multiple years like myself. And once again, to those that haven't gotten accepted, I know the feeling, but please don't let it define you. I believe in you!!!!!

Result: Accepted - St George.

Timestamp: May 14th, 9:09 AM

GPA: 3.89 OMSAS

MCAT: 515

ECs: High School Sports, Student Government positions during Undergrad., Research positions via co-op and NSERC.

Essays: ~ a month on the essays having them reviewed by close friends.

Interview: This was my second time invited to interviews and felt very confident for 3 out of the 4 stations. Felt like I absolutely bombed the last station and could not stop cringing at the responses I gave.

Year: Completed UG 2 years ago - currently working.

I was really surprised by the response! I felt totally defeated after coming out of the last interview station and could not stop thinking about how stupid my responses where. This was my second time around applying and the biggest thing I took away from the first time was being genuine and true to yourself during the interviews really pays off! I am still in disbelief and look forward to meeting you all in August/Sept! For those not accepted, don't give up - its good practice for the next time!!

Result: Rejected

GPA: 3.97 ish

MCAT: 131/127/131/132 (521)

ECs: Unique and diverse

Essays: Felt good about them, had them proofread by multiple people. Spent about a week on them. 

Interview: Wasn't nervous at all, thought at least 2 stations went great and two stations went so-so. I thought this interview went the best of all of mine since the interviewers gave me good non-verbal feedback and I thought I answered well. I may have said something that got me red flagged? Who knows!

Year: 4th year UG

Geography: OOP

Result: Accepted to UTSG!

Timestamp: May 14 @ 9:17 am

GPA: 3.99

MCAT: 125+ in all sections

ECs: Above average. Many years of research (3 first author pubs), student gov, volunteering, lifeguarding, teaching, and other managerial/leadership experiences. Many awards and scholarships!

Essays: Spent a whole month on them and had 6 people read them over.

Interview: My favorite interview! Felt above average in all 4 stations. Connected with 3 of my interviewers and had friendly conversations with them. Definitely Showed my personality! My immediate reaction was good but over the next 6 weeks, I convinced myself I was not going to get in (well thank goodness I was wrong :)).

Year: Finished MSc

This is my 5th time applying, so May 14th was definitely my favorite day EVER! The interview used to be my weakness in the past, but I feel like over the years, my experiences have helped me to improve my communication skills and become more mature. Showing my experiences and personality was the key to getting in this year! If you were rejected this year and/or in the past, my advice is DO NOT GIVE UP; learn from your weaknesses and improve (I know easier said than done)! Persistence goes a long way in medicine! If you would like tips, feel free to DM me (trust me I know looooots about different types of med school apps and interviews :)).

Will be accepting my offer (UofT has always been my dream school)! Can't wait to get to meet my classmates!

Result: Rejected

Timestamp: May 14, 9:07 AM.

GPA: OMSAS 3.94

MCAT: Passed cutoffs

ECs: Check history

Essays: Felt decent about them, spent several weeks, heavily revised, checked over by several people.

Interview: I felt 3 went quite well, and one of them felt below average, but even then not a disaster. I had a good feeling coming out of the interview, and then like many people, became quite self-critical as time passed. Maybe I put too much pressure on myself for this interview. Honestly speaking, though, having been on so many waitlists, I would rather get rejected immediately than rejected after waitlist haha. Congrats to all who got accepted!

Year: BSc 2017

• 11 months later...

Result: Accepted to MAM (6:59 AM PST)

GPA: 4.0

MCAT: 514 

Degree: BSc. Honours (class of 2020)

E.C: Varied. Honestly pretty vanilla. Didn't have much long term stuff other than hobbies. I think it is all how you talk about it. Put some unconventional stuff like family members with illness and how I'm trying to live a zero waste life. 

Essays: wrote them over the course of a few weeks and didn't have anyone read over (lol). Used them to tell a story - make them personal if you are looking for advice.

Interview: Felt good about it! I felt better at my Ottawa interview and bad WL there so I wasn't sure how this would shake out. Best tip is to be yourself and use personal examples when answering questions.

Mississauga campus.

Will accept unless I get into UBC (fingers crossed for tomorrow).

8 hours ago, kitandkat said:

Result: Accepted to MAM (6:59 AM PST)

GPA: 4.0

MCAT: 514 

Degree: BSc. Honours (class of 2020)

E.C: Varied. Honestly pretty vanilla. Didn't have much long term stuff other than hobbies. I think it is all how you talk about it. Put some unconventional stuff like family members with illness and how I'm trying to live a zero waste life. 

Essays: wrote them over the course of a few weeks and didn't have anyone read over (lol). Used them to tell a story - make them personal if you are looking for advice.

Interview: Felt good about it! I felt better at my Ottawa interview and bad WL there so I wasn't sure how this would shake out. Best tip is to be yourself and use personal examples when answering questions.

Mississauga campus.

Will accept unless I get into UBC (fingers crossed for tomorrow).

same boat! My life and friends are in Vancouver, so fingers crossed for UBC <3 ....though i would be super excited to go to uoft as well!

Result: Accepted (Mississauga) @ 9:30am

GPA: 3.86 (or 3.94 if EE went through to give me wGPA)

MCAT: 517 (127/128/131/131)

Degree: PhD complete

E.C: Mainly research focused (10+ publications, 5 first-author, mentorship, TA-ing etc), but some other typical premed experiences too, including some decent clinical exposure.

Essays: Probably took a few weeks to a month. Got input from others which is always helpful, but I agree with what people say in terms of making them genuine & personal, gotta tie in examples you can really connect to to make it happen.

Interview: In-person. Felt pretty ok about it, though some parts were much better than others; was really hard to gauge how interviewers felt @ U of T imo. Nothing too off the wall though. 

Will likely be accepting because Toronto's always been the dream, but wanna give other schools a fair look as well before committing. Good luck to the waitlist gang getting off, and even to those rejected; this was my fourth cycle and the first time I received any interviews, so if it's the dream don't throw in the towel. There's a ton of luck (even without a lottery involved) and sometimes it just takes perseverance more than anything.

Looking forward to (likely) meeting the UofT crowd in the fall!   

Result: Accepted 

wGPA: 3.99 or 4.00 

MCAT: above all cutoffs

Degree: 4th year UG

E.C: Scholarships, Extracurriculars, LOTS of employment, very little research, mid-range volunteering

Essays: worked hard on them, but the 250 word limits limits the potential depth of the essays. i tried to directly answer the question while also showing my personal view on the topic/life

Interview: In-person. 2 stations went well, 1 station had a nice interviewer but i was really rambling, 1 went poorly to say the least. Had a couple of breakdowns after this bad boy. 

Definitely considering taking this offer! Other schools are great, but U of T is the one to beat IMO!

Sorry for the delay in post. Still trying to process everything as I am moving in with my family in Mississauga and trying to arrange travel plans with all the craziness around COVID-19. 

wGPA: Close to 3.97

MCAT: 516

Had strong ECs over many years, including publications and various leadership roles including a non-profit Organization. 

Can't wait to meet everyone. 

Result: waitlisted

wGPA: somewhere between 3.93-3.94

MCAT: above cutoffs

Essays: make these bad boys as personal as possible while focusing on the clusters they have on their website

Interview: cried myself to sleep after this one, was surprised it wasn't a straight rejection. I interviewed on Feb 8th, and honestly I am not the strongest interviewer at all so I wish I just had more time to prepare. If I were to give any tips, it would be to try to add structure to your answers, but at the same time toronto really values personal examples so make sure to incorporate them when possible.

Year: graduated last year!

References: idk if itll be relevant but I am pretty sure I had some of the best references out there.

Again, surprised to be waitlisted and not rejected but either way I got into my top choice so I am a happy man!

• 1 year later...

Why haven't there been any posts in the past 2 years?! 

Result: Accepted (May 10th)

wGPA: 3.95+

MCAT: Above cutoffs

Degree: 4th year UG

E.C: A few unique activities, but generally vanilla. Mostly research and advocacy.

Essays: I tried to be as personal as possible. My tips are similar to others - share what you are most passionate about while still answering the question and tying your essay to the clusters!

Interview: Nothing unexpected and felt better than my other interviews. My biggest tip is practicing with many different people leading up to the interview and being genuine :) I was rejected post-II last year and I think this was what made the biggest difference.