Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest UTMed07

Result: accepted!

wGPA: 3.67 (grad applicant)

MCAT: above cutoffs

Research: PhD with 5 publications, including 3 first author and 18 months of postdoc experience at a research institute in San Diego. Many conference presentations. A few research awards but nothing stellar.

ECs: Volunteering with humane society in Ottawa and San Diego, Volunteering with the Heart and Stroke Foundation as well as the American Heart Association, hospital volunteer, several different sports

Regrets

wgpa: 3.98

34N MCAT

ECs are pretty standard

Thought the interview was okay - they seemed concerned that I didn't have previous medical experience though.

Not disappointed because I already got accepted in my home province. Best of luck to everyone waiting!

Accpeted

UTM campus (first choice)

4th year

UofT Undergrad

wGPA 3.90

MCAT: 14/10/14S (10V)

6 years of music teaching

5 years church organist/assistant choir director

ARCT piano

Grade 10 violin

2 years volunteering with Toronto Symphony

4 years research (no pub)

4 research fellowships

international conference w/ abstract and poster presentation

no clinical volunteer (really came back to bite me in the ass)

I cried when I saw the first line of the email. After waitlisting at Queens and rejected by all US schools I applied to, UofT was my top/only choice

congrats to all those who got accepted. Remember, medical school is not the end, but a mean to pursue something greater.

to those of you who were not so lucky this cycle, never give up! Life is a marathon, not a sprint :)

ACCEPTED!!!!!!

wGPA: 3.98

cGPA: 3.90

MCAT: 12PS/8VR/13BS WS: S

ECs: nserc, 3 research projects and conference presentations, developed experiments and instructional videos for chem department and TAed ochem for ~1year, rural clinical volunteering, 3-4 years of volunteering with developmentally challenged children, some academic awards, painting/selling artwork, and i have been managing a research lab for a little over a year.

Interview: Felt great coming out of it

UG wGPA: 3.89

MCAT: flagged with 8 PS

Grad GPA: i'm not really sure, I think above 3.9

PhD:

CIHR DRA, OGS, a number of presentation awards, 8 first author pubs, 2 mid author pubs, and a few in preparation. lot of presentations at conferences and numerous seminars.

ECs:

internship at biotech company, TA, travelled to Europe twice, supervised undergrad thesis student, hospital volunteering, girl guides leader, misc jobs

Interview: could've gone either way, although I'm very critical of myself

First time applying and couldn't be happier!

Rejected

wGPA 3.98

MCAT above all cut offs

ECs below average but good enough to get me an interview

Interview felt really bad. Was very personal and got to tell stories I wanted to tell, but messed up on some questions early on and had pretty shaky nerves.

Woke up to receive three rejections (essentially - "bad waitlist" at Ottawa) which was heartbreaking. I wish they gave feedback. I'm worried three post-interview rejections says something about me and my suitability for medicine, and don't know if it's something I can change. After an hour of being convinced I never want to put myself through this again, I know I will keep on applying and try to improve for the future.

Congratulations to those who made it, and good luck to those on the waitlist.

OOOF... I've been trying to get into med school for quite a long time now (so I really feel for those of you who have not been accepted because I've been in your shoes a couple of times in the past) BUT I've finally been accepted today, Thank G-d! Perseverence pays off when combined with patience... Keep this in mind folks who will need to reapply one more time before getting in; if you've made it to this stage, you know that you've come very close and just need a little something extra next time (apply more broadly, work on improving your ECs, practice for the interview a bit more) OR simply luck.

My stats are good but non-stellar:

GPA ~3.9 (wGPA maybe 3.92? maybe a bit higher - 3.94?)

MCAT: above cutoffs

Autosketch: decent - tried not to have too much 'fluffing.'

Mini essays: Wrote the rough draft for all of them in one day; edited everything the following day; asked a friend with good English skills to review them with me; made small corrections here & there until I was satisfied that I had done reasonably well, and stopped worrying about them. Total time: ~ 3 days spent to do a good job.

Interview: Personally, I tend to do poorly in interviews, esp. in those that matter the most (because I'm way too anxious & stressed and it shows), but this year @ U of T, I felt that I had done quite well (I got my interviewers to smile a couple of times) and I walked in & out of it quite confident. Based on the stats in this thread, I feel that the U of T interview is the 'make or break' point to get an offer. Ergo, once you make it to the interview, your high (or low) marks will only help (or hurt) you so much.

This morning before opening email: had a bit of tachycardia and felt nauseous :eek:

Email subject line: U of T Medicine - Hard copy sent to address listed :confused:

Accepted: at St. George campus :D

I'm obviously very excited and waiting to meet all of my future classmates!!!

Wishing you all the very best, whether this year is YOUR year or not :)

Hey guys, just posting on here since everyone would have found out today although the acceptance came in on March 11th.

Result: Accepted MD/PhD

GPA: 3.8. Grad GPA: 4.0

MCAT: PS-11/VR-10/BS-13/WS-S

ECs: Student council UG and Grad, TON of research experience (4 pubs) from 2nd year undergrad onwards, community volunteering...not much else.

Essays: Skewed towards graduate work, and well prepared.

Year: MSc-2nd year

IP

Interview: MD wasn't the best I think, but the MD/PhD went extremely well with more chances to talk about research experience.

Congratulations everyone!

Here are the stats I didn't post earlier.

Accepted to St George campus

Cgpa 3.83

Wgpa 3.90

MCAT 10/10/11/S

ECs: lots of long term commitments and community work. Tons of jobs to pay for school. Neuro Research experience and clinical research as well.

IP

4th year just graduated

Essays : I wrote truthfully and drew upon what I gained from those experiences. Didn't spend an enormous amount of time on them but felt they were good.

Interview: honestly, I couldn't get a good read on the interviewers. But it didn't go terribly bad IMO.

I will be accepting this offer as Toronto was my top choice. I felt it was the best fit for me in terms of the structure of the curriculum, students, and the opportunities that are available for professional development and networking.

Good luck to all of those still on the wait list and congratulations to all of those accepted. Looking forward to meeting you all!

First post. Not first rejection. Heading back to law school this fall though. Will always fight and keep trying Hopefully my stats can help. Timestamp 8:58am.

Gpa 3.76?

Wgpa 3.88-3.9

Ec: research in epidemiology; hospital volunteering; varsity team; womens centre; research assistant at a cancer centre ; performing arts

Interview: short like 20 mins? Thought that tipped me off :P

Keep trying everyone

ACCEPTED - St. George Campus

Timestamp: 10:16am

wGPA: 3.94

MCAT: met cut offs

EC: fairly average - NSERC, some hospital volunteering, varsity soccer, Relay for life, biology society member, lots of awards/scholarships, TAing ..

SO excited!!! This is my third time applying (and I told myself it would be the last time!). Can't wait to meet everyone in the fall!!!!

Waitlist! :)

Hometown: PEI

OMSAS GPA: 3.94

MCAT: 31S

Graduated from Dalhousie with a BSc Microbiology & Immunology, and Biology (with distinction)

ECs: Student government, scholarships, volunteering at hospitals, health promotion, and community health, club execs, 16+ years dance, mentoring, shadowing doctors. 6 years of contract work with the federal government in national parks, teaching assistant, 4 years as a Sandwich Artist :cool: .

First time applying to any Ontario schools, had convinced myself that I would never be good enough for Toronto, and then actually laughed out loud when they wanted me for an interview. Wait list is welcome news! Now to decide if I wanna hang around.

Accepted to St George!!!

4th year applicant

wGPA: 3.97

MCAT: Well above cutoffs

ECs: First Responder, high- level charity involvement, shadowing and coaching among others.

Interview: Thought it went well and they seemed to respond well to my answers and demeanor. My 2 bits of advice are to try and project as someone they would want to work with. My interviewers responded really well when I was able to show humility and a sense of humor about myself.

UT is in my favourites, planning to enjoy the moment and decide next week.

GPA: 3.94

MCAT: 12PS/11VR/12BS

ECs: I didn't plan on going to med school until last year so none of my ECs have medically related experience (except for one small one). Mainly student council (president), member of some local and international executive committees (nothing saving the world, mainly professional societies), volunteering, very little research, no pubs. However, I had some decent experiences like working abroad, etc. that might have given me an edge.

Interview: Thought it went ok. Nothing spectacular but didn't screw up too much.

Have no idea what school I'm going to choose. Queen's was my top choice and the only one that I was waitlisted for so I might wait right to the deadline to decide. UWO and Alberta are my next top. U of T just seemed so "big" to me...like no community feeling, no mention of extracurriculars done as a class, they didn't seem to know each other, etc. Maybe it was just me.

Accepted

Mature-ish student (26, graduated undergrad 2009)

3.76 GPA

3.85 wgpa

MCAT all 11s

Lots of research but no pubs, working and volunteering abroad, currently working for UHN in Toronto.

Congrats to all with good news and look forward to meeting you soon!

Condolences to all with bad news, good luck in the future and hope u get it next time.