Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest UTMed07

Result: Accepted (St. George)

wGPA: 4

MCAT: 11 10 10 
ECs: Message me if you wanna (lots of sports and volunteering and shadowing)

Interview: felt very conversational and i was extremely confident after each one

Year: Completed UG

Can't believe it! Can't wait to meet some of you future classmates soon! 

After many years of reading acceptance posts, I can't believe I'm adding my own (with some tips thrown in, to be taken with a grain of salt):

TIME STAMP: 9:08 AM, May 12, 2015

Interview Date: March 08, 2015
Result: ACCEPTED! St. George Campus (1st choice) I screamed and jumped so much when I saw the title of the email that I almost threw up :/
cGPA: 3.84

wGPA: 3.93
MCAT: 10/11/10 (BS/VR/PS)
ECs: Nothing too extraordinary and I doubt reading my ECs or the accomplishments of my peers here will help future applicants. As cliched as it sounds, I think it helps to pursue activities that you are passionate about and try others that are out of your "comfort zone" or help you learn something new. Exposing yourself to research and the clinical professions can also be beneficial. It's also important to be able to "sell yourself" or convey really well the skills you learned/displayed through your ECs in your autobiographical sketch. I highly encourage future applicants to check out the CanMeds competencies. They were my bread and butter for this application cycle. Try to show how you displayed the CanMeds roles through the acitivites that you list on your sketch. 
Essays: Similar to what I said above - I used the CanMeds roles as a guide to determine which skills to highlight in my essays and then got feedback for them from a handful of people, including some close friends, a professor, a current medical student, and an academic counsellor. When your essays go through multiple revisions, they will significantly improve in quality. Use the free resources out there to brush up on those essays!

Interview: I definitely obsessed way too much about my performance at one station - I thought I said some flag-worthy things and would be automatically rejected. The period between my interview and May 12th was probably the most stressful of my life. Advice for future applicants: take a few seconds to gather your thoughts before answering a question! You don't need to ask for permission from the interviewer - just take some time (5-15 s) to think before you speak. And try not to stress too much about your performance and perceived mistakes! 

Year: Final year of Masters

U of T has been my dream med school since as long I can remember! I've accepted my offer and can't wait to meet the rest of the 1T9s!

Time Stamp: May 12 @ 9:07 AM

Interview Date: March 7th, 2015

MCAT: 12/10/14

wGPA: 4.0

Year: Just Completed UG

ECs: Long time athlete (competitive soccer/hockey, plus other intramurals), worked at a long term care home for 4 years, some academic scholarships, one NSERC,  2 summers of research experience + Hons Project (no pubs yet), volunteer tutoring...if you would like to know particulars please PM

Interview: Was my worst interview of the three I had. I think I botched the very first question I was asked, but I think I was able to recover fairly well. I thought one station went poorly, one was mediocre and two went well.

I've been lurking forever, hope this helps someone in the future!

Edit: Thankful, but have decided to decline this offer for another one. Goodluck to all those still waiting!

TIME STAMP: 10:14 AM, May 12, 2015

Interview Date: February 21, 2015
Result: Accepted!!!!
cGPA: 3.91

wGPA: N/A
MCAT: 10/10/11
ECs: Paid and volunteer work with newcomer populations; high school sports at the national level; business competitions at the international; tutoring since highschool; university committees; exec & pres on a few clubs; choirs since highschool; lab research assistant; clinical research; principal investigator on a funded project; first author pub; awards for research, academics, and community service.

Essays: Composed the week before they were due. LOTS of effort put into them. Drew a lot from the stuff put on my ABS. Edited multiple times by my two best friends. Both phenomenal writers and they knew me best. Satisfied at the end of the day.

Interview: Loved the MPI format! My interviewers were all relaxed and I definitely felt like they got to see my personality shine through the interview. Stumbled on one station, but I think everyone had at least one that gave them a little bit of trouble.  

Year: 4th year UG

TIME STAMP: 9:01am, May 12th 2015

Interview Date: February 22, 2015

Result: Accepted!

cGPA: ~3.85

wGPA: ~3.91

MCAT: 10/9/13 (re-written)

ECs: PM if interested

Essays: Spent a good deal of time and thought on them. Tried to be honest and true to my thoughts, had my Dad read them for grammar! :)

Interview: Felt great about 3/4 stations and alright about the last one -finished it rather earlier so had to fill some time! Really enjoyed the interview format overall and liked meeting/talking with 4 different people at different stages of training/backgrounds.

Year: 4th Year Undergrad

Caught me off guard, to say the least! Feeling blessed! 

First post here..

TIME STAMP 10:30 AM

Interview Date: Feb 22 2015

Result: Rejection 

cGPA: 3.87

wGPA: 3.95

MCAT: 10/9/13

EC: 10+ Years of Competitive Hockey, 10+ years of performance music and music production, 2 summer research positions and shadowing in surgery, 3 publications in high ranked surgical journals, multiple volunteer research positions during undergraduate degree, 2 Teaching Assistant positions, Club Executive, 3 years as a camp counsellor,  etc...

Essays: Put a lot of work into them and had them reviewed and revised multiple times 

Interview: All stations felt incredible, 1 perhaps was a bit worse than the others 

Year: 4th year undergrad 

Pretty rattled to say the least... would love some sort of guess as to what went wrong 

TIME STAMP: 9:08am, May 12th 2015

Interview Date: March 8th

cGPA: ~3.78

wGPA: ~3.92

MCAT: 10/11/11

ECs: lots of research (3 different labs, 1 pub in progress and a few poster presentations), a few long-term volunteer and club executive roles, guitar, some sports and international experiences.

Essays: worked pretty hard on them and had them looked over by friends and family. Was quite happy with them in the end. Make sure you go through Canmeds.

Interview: Was the least stressful and most enjoyable of all my interviews. Thought 3/4 went quite well, one was okay.

Year: 1 year masters

Feels amazing finally being accepted after 3 tries and a lot of hard work. I know it's cliche but if you really want this, don't give up and most importantly don't doubt yourself.

TIME STAMP: 9:08am, May 12th 2015

cGPA: ~3.78

wGPA: ~3.92

MCAT: 10/11/11

ECs: lots of research (3 different labs, 1 pub in progress and a few poster presentations), a few long-term volunteer and club executive roles, guitar, some sports and international experiences.

Essays: worked pretty hard on them and had them looked over by friends and family. Was quite happy with them in the end. Make sure you go through Canmeds.

Interview: Was the least stressful and most enjoyable of all my interviews. Thought 3/4 went quite well, one was okay.

Year: 1 year masters

Feels amazing finally being accepted after 3 tries and a lot of hard work. I know it's cliche but if you really want this, don't give up and most importantly don't doubt yourself.

TIME STAMP: 1:29pm on 27May2015 (email, no phone call)

Result: Accepted (off waitlist)

wGPA: 3.97
MCAT: 11/10/10
ECs: 2-years worth of co-op work experience as undergraduate engineering student. Spent last two years working as a research assistant/coordinator at a hospital. Sports, oversea mission work (non-medical related), engineering-related research, and clinical research.

Essays: Spent a lot of time writing and editing. Asked friends and colleagues to review.

Interview: 2 stations went amazing. 1 below average station. 1 station where i struggled with one question and killed other questions.

Year: Finished undergrad in 2013. 

so excited! This has been my dream since 2012. The waitlist is moving guys! Wishing everyone the best!!

• 2 weeks later...

I've used this forum a lot over the years so I thought I should finally make an account and contribute some statistics - especially because I don't have a crazy GPA and I remember reading this forum and getting really discouraged about it at times.

Time Stamp: 9:01am on May 12

Interview date: April 18

Result: Accepted

cGPA: 3.74

wGPA: 3.87

MCAT: 10/10/12

ECs: Did a co-op degree and completed all work terms as a Research Assistant so I had lots of paid research experience. Also was part of a first aid team for 4 years (held an exec position for a few terms) and played rec soccer - nothing too crazy :)

Essays: I spent a huge amount of time on these and made sure everything tied back to the clusters and the medical profession

Interview: Went smoothly - no major hiccoughs at all. I thought the interviewers were all really nice and it was all pretty straightforward (though I practiced a ton beforehand so I think that definitely helped!)

Year: 5th year UG (5 year program b/c of co-op)

It was a really difficult decision but in the end I turned down this offer to go to a different school. Good luck to anyone on the wait list still, I hope you get some good news! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Another lower GPA acceptance:

Interview date: Feb 22

Result: accept, off waitlist (early June)

cGPA: 3.78

wGPA: 3.88

MCAT: 9/11/12

ECs: lots of volunteer in healthcare, sports and arts activities, some leadership on university clubs, some research but no pubs

Essays: tried to use experiences that illustrate the qualities expected of medical students as stated in U of T's section in the OMSAS handbook. Asked as many people as I could to comment and edit.
Interview: I thought 3/4 stations were a disaster. I was very nervous. By the time I got to my 4th station I thought I wouldn't be able to screw it up any further and think I might have done ok in that one.
Year: graduated UG 2013

I'd applied everywhere and this was my one interview invite. I feel so lucky to have been accepted and excited to start. Good luck to all those wishing to get into medicine!

• 8 months later...

:D Wow I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this e-mail. Did not expect to hear back 3 days after my interview!!!

Program: ***MD/PhD***

Interview date: Feb 27-28

Result: Accept

cGPA: 3.70

wGPA: 3.85

MCAT: 131/128/132/129

ECs: Lots of research (several publications), hospital volunteering, TAships, tutoring
Essays: Took about 7-10 days to write and was happy with them. I had a lot of material from my US apps earlier in the fall. My advice is to know yourself well and make sure your essays reflect your personality by relating the prompts to your experiences and covering UofT's core competencies.
Year: BSc '11 and MSc '14
Geography : OOP

***I don't want to start a panic: ONLY MD/PHD DECISIONS ARE BEING RELEASED EARLY, MD-ONLY DECISIONS ARE MAY 10th -> Good luck to everyone who interviewed!

Happy to provide advice to any future applicants :D UofT really blew me away; the amount of resources, campus, and students, were all very impressive.

• 2 weeks later...

Result: Accepted to MD/PhD
Interview Date: Feb 27/28 MD/PhD
wGPA: 3.85
MCAT: above cutoffs
ECs: lots of long-term commitments and included activities that I am passionate about
Essays: Thought they were great (probably the strongest part of my application)
Interview: There was one station that I truly messed up on (or so I thought?), so I thought there was no way I would be getting an offer. These last couple of weeks drove me insane as I would replay that one station over and over again in my head. Lesson learned: don't be overcritical about yourself! My advice would be to be yourself, talk from your experiences, and take time to think before you answer questions.
Year: MSc 2nd year

I am in complete shock! Never thought I would be posting here. Good luck to everyone else!

• 1 month later...

ACCEPTED!!! (St. George) 9:18AM

Interview Date: Feb 28 

GPA: 3.72 (Not eligible for weighting) 

MCAT: Above cuttoffs

Interview: I thought it went well overall. 

IP MSc 2nd year

I am in total and utter shock!! This is my 4th time applying and 1st time ever getting an interview. It has been a long and arduous process, but I am extremely grateful for this opportunity and have learned so much along the way. Never give up people! :)

Result: Accepted to MAM

Time Stamp: 9:22 AM

Interview Date: Feb 28
wGPA: 3.99 (cGPA)
MCAT: 13/9/13
ECs/Essays: See interview thread
Interview: Had a good idea of what the interview would be like after interviewing last year. Felt great about 3 stations. 
Year: 4th year UG

Will likely be taking my McMaster offer over this one. Good luck everyone!