Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest UTMed07

I have waited a long dam time to post here. 

TIME STAMP: 7:44 AM EST 

Result: Accept to MAM

wGPA: 3.96 

MCAT: Above cut off

ECs: Very research oriented. Multiple publications and some volunteering. No sports. 

Essays: I felt they were really good compared to last year (kind of controversial!). 

Year: Graduated undergrad in 2016

Geography: IP

Unbelievable that I am posting this, so surreal. Dont have the words to describe this feeling.

Result: Accepted woo! St. George Campus

Timestamp: 8:28 AM

wGPA: 3.90-3.92

MCAT: Above cut off

ECs: Very diverse! PM me if interested!

Essays: I felt they went well!

Year: Finished MSc

Interview: My last interview, I honestly just tried to be myself, was super calm and just spoke my mind to the interviewers, was really real with all of my answers to their questions and I felt they got a good grasp of my experiences and my personality. Although I would say prep definitely helps to build confidence, I think just being your best self and being calm and collected will bode well for you!

Leaning towards Toronto, but will decide after UBC results come out :)

Result: Accepted to St. George!!

Timestamp: May 9

wGPA: >3.9 (not eligible for weighting)

MCAT: Above cut offs

ECs: Lots of research (2 pubs [incl. a 1st author pub], conference presentations, research awards); volunteering, leadership, etc, etc

Essays: Guess they were good :)

Interview: Honestly was my favourite one out of all of my interviews

Year: 3rd Year UG

Geography: OOP

I'm still in shock with this news! U of T was my first choice and I'm extremely happy to have received this offer! I can't wait to meet the rest of the 2T1s in August!!!

Result: Accepted to St. George

Timestamp: 4:42am (Pacific Time)

wGPA: >3.9 

ECs: Some research (presentations but no pubs), several continuous years of volunteering with several organizations

Essays: Whipped them off in an afternoon.... but they were good... I guess?

Interview: Felt pretty good

Year: 5rd Year UG (BA and BSc)

Result: Waitlisted

Timestamp: 8:41am (EST)

wGPA: > 3.9

ECs: Research/academics heavy, varsity fencing; no clinical/hospital volunteering/employment. Feel free to PM me for details.

Essays: Spend ~1 month working on these; lots of revisions, discussing with my SO. I did take them to my school's Writing Centre, but I didn't find it terribly helpful. I thought they were very good.

Interview: Felt good about 3.5 stations

Year: 2nd year MSc; Hon. BA undergrad

Toronto is my first choice, so fingers crossed that we see some early waitlist movement! Congrats everyone who was accepted! =)

Easily the greatest day ever.

Timestamp: 4:42am (Pacific Time)

wGPA: 3.97 

MCAT: 518

ECs: research, school clubs, volunteer... the usual

Essays: Did them quickly so typos all over, but overall were good

Interview: Thought I did well at 2 stations, okay at 1 and poorly at 1

Year: 4th year UG

I'll be waiting on UBC before I make a decision but leaning towards UofT. If anyone has some helpful info to help me decide (if I get accepted to UBC as well), feel free to PM me!

Result: Accepted to UofT, St. George

Timestamp: 7:42 am

GPA: I forget how the wGPA was calculated, my transcripts say 3.99 

MCAT: 516

ECs: Nothing hugely unusual. Executive member of a strings orchestra for three years, exec on a student union, edited for a few student publications. I was published as a sole author in two student journals.

Essays: I felt incredibly strong about them

Interview: I cried the whole ride home

Year: 3rd year, but graduating this year with a BA (took courses over the summer, etc.)

Unbelievably excited -- I can't believe this is real. 

Absolutely Blessed!

Timestamp: 7:42am 

wGPA: 4.0

MCAT: 518

ECs: no hospital volunteering, research, long term community work, lots of school clubs

Essays: worked on them for about 5 weeks, were very well done.

Interview: Thought I did very well on 3 stations and Ok on the last 1.

I'm seriously shaking right now... It took me the last couple hours to calm down enough to remember to post!

Result: Accepted (St. George)

Timestamp: 8:11am (EST)

cGPA: 3.97

ECs: A good variety with some long-term activities, but felt pretty vanilla.

Essays: Spent a lot of time on them and felt they were strong.

Interview: Felt good about 2 stations, okay about 1 station, and very iffy about 1 station

Year: 3rd year UG

I'm torn between U of T and McMaster, but am leaning towards U of T!  Either way, I am super grateful to have the choice. 

Edit: forgot to change my ECs from the copied post :P

Long time lurker here. 

Timestamp: 6:19am 

wGPA: 3.61

ECs: Professional chess player, won several regional competitions, did well in provincials. 

Essays: Strongest part of my application. Hired the right person to do them for me, though it was rather costly. 

Interview: Felt great throughout, my personality really shined during the interview. 

Absolutely in shock. My mind went completely blank for half an hour.

Had multiple backup plans since I knew my GPA was going to be a major hurdle. I think my ECs and Interview really made an impression. So for everyone out there with less than a perfect GPA who's debating whether or not to apply, there is hope!  

Result: Reject

Timestamp: 8:44am (EST)

wGPA: 3.94

MCAT: 36 (10/12/14)

EC's: Feel free to PM

Essays: Felt good! A few spelling mistakes. 

Interview: Felt great! 

Year: MSc(ompleted)

Really had a great time interviewing here. Both for MD and PhD. Best of luck to all those who are on the waitlist! Congrats to those accepted. Keep it up for anyone with not the best news. Always next year. 

Result: Waitlisted

Timestamp: 8:40 AM May 9

wGPA: 3.91
MCAT: 36 (12/10/14)
ECs: Average - hospital volunteering, various leadership and employment, some volunteering with diverse groups
Interviews: Was average to below average - last interview and didnt prepare as much as the previous ones
Year: 2Y MSc

Result: Waitlist
Timestamp: 8:26 am EST
MCAT: 516 (129/129/128/130)
Interview: Thought it went okay, but I felt afterwards that I was being too casual. 
Year: 4th year
ECs: really good, lots of variety, non-traditional stuff

I will be giving up my spot on the waitlist in favour of accepting my offer to Western. Good luck to everyone waiting - hang in there!

Result: Accepted to St. George!

Timestamp: 8:33am (EST)

wGPA: 3.98 

MCAT: above cut offs

ECs: Hospital volunteering, research heavy (no pubs), poster presentations & awards, community involvements. 

Essays: Wrote them from the heart, but last minute, had some typos. 

Interview: felt ok, started doubting everything I said afterwards. 

Year: Final year UG 

Have been using this forum for the past 5 years for guidance, and as someone with no connections whatsoever in medicine when I first started on this journey, I am thankful for the help and support I have received here. Hope it continues to be a source of knowledge and guidance for many more to come! To those not successful this year- please know you are amazing and wonderful individuals and that a med school admissions decision does not change that. 

Result: Accepted to St. George!

Timestamp: 8:32am (EST)

wGPA: 3.99 

MCAT: 514 (130/125/129/130), above cutoffs

ECs: Research, work, volunteering placements 

Essays: Felt good about them, lots of edits  

Interview: Felt great about 2 stations, ok about the two others, went back and forth afterwards of how I felt about it 

Year: Final year UG 

So grateful and relieved. To those that did not make it this year, you are miles ahead and you are just that much closer to your dream!

Result: Accepted 

Timestamp:  7:45 am

wGPA: 3.95 +

ECs: Around 40 items total - Research (NSERC, other paid research, Poster Presentation, Oral conferences, Abstracts), ECs + Volunteering (sports, teaching, community work) + Bunch of awards

Essays: Spend a lot of time on these. I swear it's my Essays that made them want to see me, I got them reviewed many many times, had many revisions. 

Interview: To be honest I think the best advice I can give about this is that SHOW YOUR PERSONALITY and don't be a robot. They want to see how you think about the answer, not so much about how you articulate your answer. So I remember, in the last station I thought I bombed so bad, but I guess not. One station I ended in 7 minutes, and had 5 minutes to spare - I should have said more, but I was speaking too fast. Trust me - show your personality, smile when you walk in, laugh, joke around if you think there is an opportunity. Interviewers were SUPER SUPER NICE. I was thining I wasn't going to get in because of the interview, and believe me, if I thought I did well I would say it, but I think I did average in interview. 

Year: Finished my undergrad this year

Geography: IPs

wGPA: 3.96

ECs: guitar teacher, research, club executive positions, hospital tech job (PM for more details on this section)

Essays: worked really hard on these; reviewed each of these at least 8 times 

Interview: Felt casual, felt like I connected to every one of them

Year: 4th

I'm seriously shaking right now... It took me the last couple hours to calm down enough to remember to post!

Result: Accepted (St. George)

Timestamp: 8:11am (EST)

cGPA: 3.97

ECs: A good variety with some long-term activities, but felt pretty vanilla.

Essays: Spent a lot of time on them and felt they were strong.

Interview: Felt good about 2 stations, okay about 1 station, and very iffy about 1 station

Year: 3rd year UG

I'm torn between U of T and McMaster, but am leaning towards U of T!  Either way, I am super grateful to have the choice. 

Edit: forgot to change my ECs from the copied post :P

Congratulations on the acceptance. In regards to McMaster's medical school vs University of Toronto both are excellent programs. However from my understanding Mac is a 3 year program and does not focus very much on pharmacology.

Result: Accepted    :)

MCAT: 130/128/131/128 (517)

ECs: I did things I enjoy.

9 years with one organization, worked part-time all throughout undergrad, dabbled in clinical and basic science research (various poster publications, no manuscripts atm), involved with my local cultural community 

In may opinion, my ECs  were less 'competitive' than what I've heard from others applying to med. I never really had the money to go abroad or volunteer a lot because I had to work most of the time. I also do not have any special talents, no musical skills, no dancing, no sports...nothing. My activities, except for one were also not extensively long-term. 

To those applying, don't feel pressured to do things to become a more competitive applicant. Just be who you are, and hopefully your character shines through to the admission committee and interviewers. 

Interview: 2 stations I felt I really came across as myself to the interviewers. On one station, my interviewer actually answered the question they asked me - so it was more conversational! I thought this was a bad thing, but guess not! The interview style was refreshing, it wasn't rigid as other panel interviews (Ottawa) and I enjoyed the experience. 

Not a big city girl  :D  

ECs: pretty vanilla, club exec, student gov't, research, typical premed, nothing outstanding. 

Essays: worked hard on these for ~4 weeks; reviewed and edited them >5 times each

Interview: Felt really good about 3/4 stations, walked out with positive remarks from interviewers. Felt a bit rocky on my first station. Great experience overall. 

MCAT: 512

ECs: mentoring, house league sports, conferences, student government, volunteering

Interview: I believe that it went well!  I really enjoyed the format of the interviews.

I have accepted an offer elsewhere.  However, I did have a very positive experience at the interview and I believe those who did accept their offer will have a great 4 years of study.  Best of luck to those on the waitlist and to those planning on applying next year!

• 2 weeks later...

A little late-- but posting for data purposes. 

Timestamp: 8:55 am

wGPA: 3.94

MCAT: above cut offs

ECs: msg for deets

Essays: Spent a week working on them. 

Interview: Although very subjective here was my take: 2/4 were conversational and felt good. 1 interview was a challenge but interviewer was friendly so it felt stress free, 1 went below average (i.e. ethics related questions). 

Year: Completing MSc