Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest UTMed07

Hi everyone!

Accepted

Had undergrad completed in Biology/Neuroscience

GPA: degree was completed so with marks dropped wGPA most likely low 3.8's - mid 3.8's...not sure.

MCAT: 32S (11/10/11)

Didn't think my interview was that great...rambled a lot. Guess it went better than I thought!

Also accepted at Queens and MUN.

Will likely be accepting Queens :)

I hope the waitlist moves quickly!

4.0 GPA/cGPA

ECs: president of a club for 2 years + advertising coordinator, hosp volunteer 7 years, sports coach (2 teams), member of various sports teams, 3 summer research projects (2 NSERC), various one day events, MS walk spokeswoman/coordinator for 4 years and volunteer for Carnation Campaign for 3 years, Review Committee for local heritage fair, scholarships, etc.

MCAT met minimum required scores.

Interview impression: At first thought "that went great!", then gradually felt less and less confident. I think the interview was probably my biggest problem. I thought that my choices for ROLs were fairly strong. Prior to May 13th, felt pretty sure I'd end up waitlisted.

Overall reaction: F***

Accepted!!!

4th year - U of W, biomedical science

wGPA - 3.98

MCAT - met cutoffs

ECs - basketball, marathon running, piano, choirs, voice lessons, NSERC, travel, ER and cancer center volunteer, job shadowing physicians

I thought my letters of reference and essay were pretty strong. My interview went really well, but I didn't think much of it after hearing that the interview at U of T is only a part of the whole admission process, and knowing that a good feeling interview can also be a badly scored interview by the interviewers.

Also waitlisted at Ottawa. Already accepted the U of T offer.

So excited! U of T was my first choice, and it still hasn't really sunk in.

So excited to be posting this news... It's been a long haul and I can't believe it's finally over..

Accepted 9:02 am on the 13th. 3rd time applicant. Grad student.

Applied to 7 schools, interviewed at U of T only, accepted at U of T!

MCAT - 31P, GPA - 3.92, Grad GPA - 4.0

ECs - 3 years TA'ing, counseling, student council, hospital volunteering, physician shadowing, a lot of community volunteering/involvement, lots of awards & research productivity (5 publications now, 4 first author), international conferences, etc.

I felt my essay was really strong, as well as all 6 reference letters.

I can't wait to meet the rest of the 1T4 class. Congrats everyone!!! :)

41T MCAT

GPA anywhere from 3.85-3.92 (don't know if I got weighting, its complicated). 3 years of research, national conferences/presentations, bioethics work. 4th year applicant. Great essay, decent ECs, great LORs. Can't say much else because of a desire to maintain anonymity.

Interviewed at U of T, Schulich, Mac and Queens. Accepted at U of T and Schulich, my top 2 choices, WT at the other two. Will be accepting U of T :)

Accepted!

PhD Student

33O, 3.67 OMSAS GPA

ECs: Lots of grad student stuff (conferences, mentorship, awards, secondary pubs, but no primaries at time of application). Dodgeball, triathlete, runner, Canadian National institute for the blind volunteer, tutor.

Applied to every school in Canada except Northern and McGill. Applied to States as well.

Interviewed: Dal, U of T, Wayne State in Detroit.

Waitlist: Dal

Accepted: U of T!!!

Good luck everyone still waiting!

Wow, I never thought I'd be in this position, where I'd be posting my stats + decision. I must say, it wouldn't have been possible w/o God!

Here goes..

Mcat: 34 S - 12 (p.s.)/11(v.r.)/11(b.s.)/S (w.s.)

GPA: 3.98

Year of Study: 4th

Applied to: Calgary, Dalhousie, Saskatchewan, U of T, McMaster, NOSM, Queens, Western.

pre-intv rejections: Calgary, and Dalhousie

Interviewed at: Saskatchewan, U of T, Mac, NOSM, Queens, and Western.

Thoughts about intv:

U of T was my first - jittery/shaky/nervous/rambling. (good cop/bad cop technique + needling was used! :eek: )

Queens - went alright, the interviewers let me talk, didn't interrupt, in the end they started opening up to me.

Sask - first MMI experience. Bombed two stations, rest went well, I thought

MAC - second MMI, bombed two stations. Felt so-so about performance

Western - this one went well!! The interviewer hinted that she'd be seeing me down the road.

NOSM - last intv. thought I killed it! final MMI. interviewers really liked my responses, encouraged me with nods and smiles, and a few even commented on the thoroughness of my answers.

Judgement Day:

Accepted- U of T, Western/ Rejected: NOSM (placed on reserve WL...i.e. no-go according to their letter) / WL at: Queens, MAC, and SASK. {accepted off WL}

DECISION: Will be accepting U of T! :D

Just goes to show you that what you think of your performance, has no bearing on how the interviewers perceive you.

SOOooo stoked though! :)

Applied: U of T, uOttawa

STATS

GPA - 3.93

MCAT - 26Q (I'm a musician...what can I say...)

YEAR OF STUDY - 6 (4 x music degree, 1 x nursing, 1 x biochem)

ECs - Several years work as a pro. musician, one publication (second author), certified doula, years of work as a lifeguard (including NLS instructor/examiner), lots of hospital and public health volunteering, first aid instructor

Accepted: U ot T, uOttawa

Hopefully this will make someone happy...I've decided to attend uOttawa in the fall :) I've already declined at U of T

Muggins, what was your MCAT breakdown?

PS-10

VR- 8

BS - 8

WS -Q

According to U of T stats, they have accepted people with similar and lower marks to mine in each section. I really appreciate that U of T uses the MCAT as a 'flag', instead of just a hard and fast cut-off.

Hopefully, throughout the next 4 years, I'll be able to demonstrate that MCAT score is not the definitive marker for success as a medical student!

Guest viscous
Applied: U of T, uOttawa

STATS

GPA - 3.93

MCAT - 26Q (I'm a musician...what can I say...)

YEAR OF STUDY - 6 (4 x music degree, 1 x nursing, 1 x biochem)

ECs - Several years work as a pro. musician, one publication (second author), certified doula, years of work as a lifeguard (including NLS instructor/examiner), lots of hospital and public health volunteering, first aid instructor

Accepted: U ot T, uOttawa

Hopefully this will make someone happy...I've decided to attend uOttawa in the fall :) I've already declined at U of T

Congrats, any reasons why you chose uOttawa over UT med? You can give your response in "Why UOttawa med" in Ottawa threads cuz it will help many ppl with multiple acceptances.

Accepted @U of T (waitlisted @Mac)

Grad Applicant

GPA ~ 3.77 (not sure if I got the weighting applied, I didn't qualify for it but requested consideration for special circumstances. If it was my GPA would be > 3.9).

MCAT 11 13 11 O

ECs - Publications (6 or 7, 1 first author), volunteering at a hospice, volunteering @ schools, lots of sports, some awards.

This was my second time applying. So pumped!

What do you mean request consideration for special circumstances?

Accepted at U of T!!! Just found out today, had no internet till now :D

3.72 U of T wGPA

3.54 OMSAS cGPA

4th year

13VR/11PS/11BS/P

2 summers research, abstracts presented at national & international conferences, lots of leadership & volunteer positions

See you guys in the fall!!

Accepted at U of T (re-applicant) and quite surprised.

- Undergrad cGPA/wGPA: 3.54/3.85 (Extenuating circumstances: mildly serious hand injury in 4th year that may have resulted in special consideration by the ADCOM)

- Economist by training (at LSE doing MSc in Health Policy/Economics)

- MCAT: 29S (9BS/9PS/11VR) (Economist ...?)

- Significant work and volunteer experience in healthcare settings, good awards (Ontario Junior Citizen 2002), some different ECs (Olympic Torchbearer, junior trade mission to South East Asia)

- Admission Essay: I think this is what made it for me. I took a fairly different approach and tried to dig into something more philosophical in explaining my attraction. (Discussion points include Beethoven, architecture, CBC Radio (super nerd!), Pascal, and literature). This caused trouble in the interview (I can't go into details obviously) but I had to defend my ownership of some of the ideas and walked out of the interview completely unsure of the interviewing physician's assessment. ("You're an enigma" are the words he used.)

Add me to the list of shocked and accepting 1T4s....

Accepted UT and Mac (waitlisted at Queen's)

Applied with GPA 4.0, MCAT 44S

Will be accepting the UT offer. See you in the fall!

The GOd of premed? :eek: :eek:

Looking forward to worship you in Sept ;)

j/k

Looking forward to meeting you in sept!

3rd year applicant

OMSAS gpa: 3.95

MCAT: 33O (apparently I can't write?!)

EC's: Research (conferences, posters.. have way more now but I guess that doesn't matter anymore!), awards and scholarships, 5 years of tutoring, volunteering at a HIV clinic overseas, lots of sports, music, tons of travel

LOR's: all very strong

interview feeling: very positive

Essay: to the point, honest and thorough.

Will be accepting U of T, can't wait to meet you all!!

In Province

OMSAS 4.00

MCAT 13/14/15/S (as if uoft even cares)

4th yr applicant

Admitted to Toronto

Tried to post on the actual day, but man was this board overloaded.

Interviews: Dal, McGill, McMAster, Ottawa, Toronto, UWO, Queen's, Sask, Alberta, Calgary, UBC

Waitlist: McGill, UBC, Queen's, UBC

Accepted: Dal, McMaster, Toronto, Western, Alberta, Calgary, Ottawa

Waiting - have not revieved Sask email yet.

Deciding between McMaster and Toronto at this point. Not sure which one though. 3 yrs vs more opportunity I suppose.

3rd year applicant in a BSc program

OMSAS GPA: 3.94

MCAT: met cutoffs

EC's: sports, hiking, extensive travel/backpacking, club exec, committee work, music, no research

Essay: straight up explanations of my reasons for medicine

Interview: laidback/conversational, both interviewers seemed interested

Applied: UBC, UofT

Interviewed: UBC, UofT

Accepted: UBC, UofT

Just accepted UBC's offer (decided to post when I finally came to a decision), so there will be a spot for UofT opening up.

Much congrats to everyone!

if by many you mean like 5. And 3rd year applicants are definitely more likely to be on pm101...

I agree. About 35% of the class are 3rd year applicants on average, and this years does not seem that different. The only reason why there could be a bit more is because UWO does not take 3rd yrs - meaning a few super 3rd yrs might be spread around the other 4 medical schools that take 3rd yrs. But the effect would be minimal.

I'm a 4th year - but did not apply last year. I probably could have got in, but I wanted to enjoy my undergrad experience.