Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest UTMed07

I agree. About 35% of the class are 3rd year applicants on average, and this years does not seem that different. The only reason why there could be a bit more is because UWO does not take 3rd yrs - meaning a few super 3rd yrs might be spread around the other 4 medical schools that take 3rd yrs. But the effect would be minimal.

I'm a 4th year - but did not apply last year. I probably could have got in, but I wanted to enjoy my undergrad experience.

r u sure its 35% third year at UOFT?

3rd year applicant in a BSc program

OMSAS GPA: 3.94

MCAT: met cutoffs

EC's: sports, hiking, extensive travel/backpacking, club exec, committee work, music, no research

Essay: straight up explanations of my reasons for medicine

Interview: laidback/conversational, both interviewers seemed interested

Applied: UBC, UofT

Interviewed: UBC, UofT

Accepted: UBC, UofT

Just accepted UBC's offer (decided to post when I finally came to a decision), so there will be a spot for UofT opening up.

Much congrats to everyone!

Wow Congrats!

Thought I put this thread back on track since I had a few minutes.

2nd year Masters Student

Omsas GPA: 3.78

UofT wGPA: 3.89

MCAT: 35Q

ECs: research(1 co-author, 1 conference, 2 retreats, 1 research-paper award), sports, lots of volunteering, music

Interview: Laidback and conversation, very nice interviewers.

Applied: UofT, Western, Queens, McMaster

Interviewed: UofT

Accepted: UofT

accepted

4rth year applicant, 1st time applying

OMSAS gpa: 4.0

MCAT: 36Q

EC's: significant research experience, awards and scholarships, first aid, loads of hospital volunteering, sports and travel

LOR's: One good one, one that was okay, one peice of #%@$!

Applied: UofT, Western, Mac, Queens, Ottawa, McGill, Montreal, Sherbrooke, Laval, Dalhousie

Interviewed: everywhere but Queens and Dal

Accepted: UofT, Western, Mac, Ottawa, McGill, Montreal

Waitlist: Sherbrooke, Laval

I will be accepting my offer at McGill. Good luck to those still on the waitlist!

My two-cents for those reading these boards that are applying in future cycles: make sure you get good grades! Don't get bogged down by everyone's ridiculous ECs. Good grades is all you really need at some schools (although not all) to get an interview. Once you've reached the interview stage anything can happen! I'm sure my ECs helped me get into UofT, Mac and Ottawa but Mcgill, Western and others will litterally give you an interview if you simply meet their GPA/MCAT requirement. Don't lose sight of the power of strong academic performance! With that said, I think most people have the potential to succeed academically if they put in the necessary effort. Good luck everyone!

just though I'd keep this going:

Applied: Toronto, Western, Queens, Ottawa, McGill, McMaster

Interviewed: Toronto, Western, Queens, Ottawa, McGill

Waitlisted:Ottawa, McGill

Offered:Toronto, Western, Queens

Accepted: Toronto

MCAT: 14 P /11 V / 12 B / T

cGPA: 3.96

ECs: maybe a little above average, lots of research experience.

Ontario Resident, 4th year applicant

GPA: 3.95 (3.98 best two years)

MCAT: 30S

Applied: UWO, Toronto, Queens, Mac, NOSM, Ottawa

Interviewed: UWO, Toronto, Queens, Mac, NOSM, Ottawa

Offers: UWO, Toronto, Ottawa

Waitlist: Mac, Queens, NOSM

Accept: UWO

All med schools in Ontario are fantastic so I based my decision on family, health and home - however, it was difficult deciding b/t UofT and UWO:confused:

GL to everyone!

Applied: UofT (MD, MD/PhD), UWO (MD, MD/PhD), Queen's (MD), McMaster (MD, MD/PhD), Dalhousie (MD), Calgary (MD)

Interviewed: UofT MD/PhD, UofT MD, UWO MD/PhD, UWO MD, Queen's MD

Waitlisted: UofT MD, Queen's MD

Rejected: UofT MD/PhD, UWO MD/PhD

Offered: UWO

Accepted: UWO

MCAT: 12 P / 11 B / 11 V / T WS

cGPA: 3.39

wGPA (UofT): ~3.6

2yGPA (UWO/Queen's/Dal): 3.94

ECs: no hospital volunteering, but student gov't, published 3 papers one first author (tons of research)

Removing my name from UofT's WL so GL to all still on the WL!

UofT undergrad 4th year applicant (graduating this year) first time applying.

Interviewed: UWO, UofT

Rejected Pre-interview: Mac, Ottawa, Queens, Calgary

Waitlisted: UofT and UWO

Accepted: UofT (off waitlist, today)

My Undergrad GPA was: 3.7 (OMSAS), 3.85 (U of T wGPA) and MCAT (VR/PS/W/BS): 11,9,S,11.

EC's: volunteering with cancer society, standard club/activity enrollment, NO clinical/hospital, lots of research (3 years of research, poster presentation at an international conference, 1 first author paper in submission to a reasonably high-impact factor journal)

Sorry for the late post, I have been traveling for 2 months now.

Here are the results:

Accepted: U of T, UBC, U of A, U of C.

Waitlisted: Queens.

Was REALLY hard to choose between UBC and U of T, but in the end I chose U of T because they gave me more information about their program and they have so many affiliated hospitals right on site.

Stats: I first author pub in high impact journal, 3.85 U of C GPA, 3.80 OMSAS GPA, 33R MCAT, 2 years working as an MOA in medical clinic, 2 summers research, lots of life experience.

Super excited for Sep!

• 11 months later...

Accepted!!!

Grad Student (PhD)

GPA: 3.25 (yes, it is low, asked for WGPA exception, not sure if I got it)

MCAT: 9P, 11V, 10B, Q

ECS: standard volunteering stuff, student government

RESEARCH: this is probably what got me in, I had 4 pubs (3 first author), a lot of presentations, conferences.

I don't post much on these forums, but felt that I should to show my stats. I remember thinking I could never get in with my GPA, but then I saw a few posters years ago with similar stats getting in and that really helped me to remain optimistic. What I lacked in my undergrad GPA (really bad first year), I made up for during my grad degree. It has been a very long road and I am so happy to be able to post on this thread. UofT has always been my first choice :)

Accepted!!!!!

In past years I found it very helpful to read the detailed stories of people who were admitted to try and figure out what I had to do to make myself competitive so here goes?

I?m a non-trad student

First undergrad cGPA ~3.2

M.Sc cGPA ~3.9

Second undergrad GPA ~3.9

MCAT ? passed all the cutoffs

For U of T, with my second undergrad I pulled my wGPA from ~3.4 up to ~3.65. I asked for special consideration on my GPA due to the huge difference between my two degrees, and the fact that I overloaded a lot in my first degree. UofT doesn?t tell you if they granted the accommodation, so I don?t know if my wGPA may have ended up a bit higher, but I figured it didn?t hurt to ask.

From grad school and summer research during my second undergrad I had 8 publications (3 first author), 2 oral presentations at conferences, 4 posters (first author), and also co-authored a grant. I had a CIHR award for grad school, and got a couple small awards during my second undergrad.

My 3 main LORs were from my M.Sc. supervisor, my summer research supervisor, and from my volunteering supervisor. The extra 3 grad LORs were from my M.Sc. committee members.

For EC?s I?ve done a lot of sports stuff, mainly 2 sports that I?ve done competitively for many years, was on 2 varsity teams, and also coached. I?ve been on student council, played intermurals, and done TAing/tutoring. I?ve also volunteered in a hospital in a position that has very high patient contact, and done shadowing in the clinic with my grad supervisors.

This year I applied to: UofC OOP, Dal OOP, McGill OOP, NOSM, Western, Mac, UofT, and Queen?s

Interviewed: UofC, Dal, UofT, Queen?s

Accepted: UofT, Queen?s, Dal

TBD: UofC

I thought my UofT interview went well, I talked with the 2 interviewers for ~50mins. It was very conversational and they seemed engaged/interested in the conversation. We talked about all the regular interview stuff you would expect, and they also drew on interests that I'd mentioned in my essay.

I will very happily be accepting UofT St George campus for this fall!