Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest UTMed07

My first post and my motivation for posting is to hopefully provide a synopsis that could be of value to future (grad) applicants. I had a PM101 account back in 2006 when I first applied to medicine out of undergrad, but have no clue what my password for that account is.

My info:

Accepted at U of T St. George campus on May 5th.

GPA = 3.29 (4-year U of T undergrad degree); wGPA = 3.48

MCAT: P=10, V=9, B=13, S (second take; first take was way back in 2004 - the old paper format exam).

Currently in final year of PhD at U of T St. George.

Volunteer experience: During undergrad years = hospital (non-clinical), cancer society, mentoring, a summer at hospital overseas; after-school outreach for at-risk youth (went to high-school in the ghettos so I'm able to connect with this demographic)

During grad years = lots of mentoring and science outreach as part of grad student union. No clinical volunteerism during grad school.

ECs: very little; played lots of basketball in high-school and undergrad (thought about playing professional basketball at one time - starting point guard for high-school team every year - averaged 16.1 ppg and 6.0 apg; played ball with Steve Nash several years ago) [btw, anyone following the collapse of the Lakers in the playoffs this year?!]

Grad school productivity: 3 first author publications in good journals; 2 mid-author publications; 1 first author review article; 1 second author methods paper; lots of presentations and conferences; several graduate funding awards.

First off, I wanted to say that it is possible to get into medicine in Canada with a low GPA. For grad applicants, U of T can be very forgiving of poor GPAs provided you sell yourself in other aspects. One thing that is incredibly important for U of T is the personal statement. This really can make or break an applicant - especially grads. You must be able to articulate yourself in such way as to make a big splash (heard this straight from the horse's mouth - I'll leave it at that). Reference letters are also very important - grad applicants - DO MAKE THE EFFORT TO PROVIDE THEM WITH 6 REFERENCES. Deborah had a post on the blog stating that more references will be to your advantage. Don't skimp on your CV as well. I recall there were threads on here debating whether a CV can be too long - that's just silly IMO (no offense to anyone). As long you've got quality material to list, do it, even if you're on your 20th page already! Do organize your CV very professionally and in an easy to digest layout. Deborah has repeatedly mentioned that the entire grad package will be looked at in detail regardless of length. Do NOT sell yourself short!

Lastly, for future PhD applicants, U of T is expanding their MD/PhD enrollment and one would think they would also be looking to recruit more PhD grads in to the MD program as well (this is part of their vision to improve evidence-based medicine and the importance of basic research in medicine). As a PhD applicant, you should make the effort to present yourself as a good fit in this context.

Good luck to future applicants and congrats to those accepted this year!

chillax

Finished undergrad and took year off.

wGPA: 3.94

MCAT: most recent 11/9/14 Q, best 12/10/12 Q (wrote 4 times)

ECS:~4.5 years volunteering at my local hospital, ~5 years volunteering at my local library as a peer tutor helping kids improve their literacy skills, and ~3 years as an executive member of a student club. Nothing outstanding but all very important activities to me and I learned a lot from each one.

Research: tons, no publications though

Essay: Spent a week on it, most detailing why I wanted to go into med and the experiences that lead to this decision.

References: All very good, 1 from volunteer managers at my hospital, one from one of my research supervisor, and one from a physician I worked with.

I was waitlisted last year at UofT so for all those that did get rejected/waitlisted, dont give up and try again. Hardwork does pay off.

No idea what happened to my previous account.

Accepted!

Definitely my first choice, so an easy decision to accept the offer.

wGPA: 3.96

MCAT: Low 30's, wrote only once (seems so long ago since I wrote in 2nd year, not something I would recommend as I think I had more knowledge of how to study well in 3rd year)

Lots of EC's, volunteered locally and abroad, worked as a clinic aide

2nd time applying

Undergrad @ Mac, took a year off to work, volunteer & research

I was in a serious car accident in my 3rd year (so sometimes when I regret not applying in 3rd year, maybe it was a good thing!). The physio is still ongoing.

Never give up.

I was accepted on May 5th! This was my first time applying :) I just finished 4th year

omsas GPA: 3.95

MCAT: 34S, wrote once after 3rd year, I took a Kaplan prep course to keep me motivated because studying on my own after 2nd year didn't work out haha

EC: I don't think my ECs are too impressive, I volunteered at the children's hospital for ~2years, Church volunteering, leader of a Girls club, community soccer. I think that my research is what really stood out, I have worked in a lab for the past 2 summers and for my undergrad thesis, I presented my research at an international and at a national conference. I have a couple of abstracts, and a middle-author paper in the works.

I don't think that research is the Key part of your application, its just what I was passionate about and I think its what stood out on my application, and I think I had great references from my supervisors :)

Hope that is helpful, good luck to all future applicants!!

I was rejected with interview at U of T

I was accepted at: Memorial

rejected by:U of T with interview

Newfoundland resident

My U of T calculated wGPA was 3.90. My MCAT was 10 VR / 11 BS / 12 PS R.

I had lots of research experience in physical sciences, some volunteering, student societies, etc. This was my first time applying for medical school.

Accepted on May 5

4th Year

wGPA: 3.97

MCAT: 11/10/11 Q

LOR's: 2 PI's (both were happy with my work), 1 high school guidance counsellor (known me for many years, strong letter)

EC's: many years of volunteering with disabled individuals (starting in grade 8), executive positions on youth councils/student councils/clubs, some long-term hobbies and sports, volunteering at local and international hospitals, 2 summers of research (1 publication and several conference abstracts) and honours thesis

Personal Statement: spent way too much time on it (I must have done more than a dozen drafts before I was happy with it :P ). Took about 3 weeks in total, but I'm glad I put in the effort, considering the important role it plays in pre-interview scoring.

Interview: faculty member was very relaxed and laid back. The med student was quite keen on asking lots of questions, but mostly on the profession, health care, and ethics, which luckily, I had prepared for. Managed to give a few witty answers and cracked a joke :D , so the mood was fairly positive throughout the interview.

Personal advice to future pre-meds: WATCH YOUR GPA!!! Sure, there may be isolated incidences where someone can get in with a relatively low GPA, but they're making up for it by being very strong in other areas (ie. research). A poor GPA will more often than not shut doors to Canadian (and American) med schools, so make it your priority to maintain a competitive GPA. If at anytime you find it impossible to balance school work and EC's, ALWAYS shift your efforts to getting good grades, because you can always beef up your EC's later (take a year off, etc.), but once you let those grades slip, you'll never get them back (that GPA will stay with you forever, whether you like it or not). I've seen way too many people sacrifice their grades to commit to EC's, doing irreparable damage to their GPA and as a result, forcing them to take up a second undergrad, grad work, or just stop applying to medicine. Striking a balance is key, but when it comes down to crunch time, DO NOT let that GPA slip....just my 2 cents.

Accepted on May 5

Finished undergrad

wGPA: 3.99

MCAT: 11/9/12 R

LOR: solid, nothing amazing

ECs: No hospital volunteering, no research/publications, lots of sports/clubs, few exec positions

Advice: Get the GPA you need and don't sacrifice much to get it. Sounds harsh and I did do lots of ECs, but at the end of the day if you have a 3.7 but worked in a hospital 20 hours a week, you're heading to graduate school to get a masters if you want to get into medical school. I know there are tons of great stories of people with lower GPAs getting accepted with exceptional ECs but they are the exceptions, especially for U of T.

Good luck to all the med school hopefuls out there.

Applied: U of T, McMaster, Queens, Ottawa, McGill, UWO

Intervewed: Everywhere but Queens. Got an interview from Mac but didn't attend

Accepted: U of T, Ottawa, McGill, UWO

M.Sc. student (McGill)

GPA: undergrad - 3.86 grad - 4.00

MCAT: 33S

EC: Fairly impressive I think, very involved in campus student life and extracurriculars.

I turned down McGill and UWO. Struggling with the decision of UofT vs. UofO - giant and enveloping with fantastic resources or personal and relaxed with fewer hospitals/resources?

Waitlisted until just now, was just offered a spot at UTM. Also have an offer at Queen's and I think they're both awesome schools so not sure I will take it at this point. I'll try to decide as soon as possible!

Stats:

cGPA: get excited: 3.68 ; not sure if qualified for weighting

MCAT: 35R (12P / 11V /12B)

Extracurriculars: lots of research, two pubs (1 primary) and 3 conferences, a lot of student government, long term overseas volunteering with a health ngo, some other stuff

LORs: two PI's (both physicians) and my academic advisor from university, I think that these made a big difference for me

graduated last year

...yes, GPA is important. But it's not everything. Personal growth, clinical exposure and life experience are central to what kind of person you become during your formative undergraduate years. If you learn lots and work hard, it will be recognized. And if it detracts from your GPA... it's a total gamble, but completely worth in, in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

Just started on these forums after my acceptance to find housing, and found myself going through some of the stats. Thought in my search for apartments, I should post my own stats for future applicants :)

Accepted May 5 to St. George Campus

4th year PhD student finishing the end of June

GPA was 3.75, but eligible for weighting so probably closer to 3.9

MCAT 26S BS10/PS8/VR8/WS:S (Sad I know)

Research: 14 pubs in pretty good journals (no Nature or Science papers, lol) from my MSc and PhD combined, plus another submitted. 9 were first authorships, but 2 were reviews which I don't think really count.

ECs: was a residence don for 2 years, volunteered internationally and locally, played varsity basketball, lots of scholarship awards during grad school, research internships in Japan and Italy.

LORS: all 6 that I was allowed. Supervisor, committee member, department chair, character reference from friend, and 2 other profs.

Essay: I think this is what made the difference for me. was 3 sections, devoted to my academics, travelling experience, and a personal relationship which have all taught me what I want to do with my life, and how I plan on contributing to society.

I hope this helps future applicants. In the meantime, I have to go graduate to keep this offer :rolleyes:

accepted off of waitlist just now... 3:10 PM emailed to me from deborah coombs

They said I have till june 16 to reply, but I will be accepting within the next couple of days

wGPA: 3.93

10 vr, 11 ps, 12 bs

just graduated 4th year undergrad [first time applying]

3-4 publications

fairly good ECs: volunteering at hospital for approximately 2-3 years, 16 month research internship which resulted in my 3-4 publications, kid life coaching volunteer program for 3 years, 1 week international volunteer outreach program in second year, smaller science camp volunteer activities.

Feel my gpa and personal statement were what definitely got me that interview. Making that personal statement stand out I think is really key for future applicants. Why I feel I got wait-listed initially even after having a high wGPA is my interview.

thought my interview went well initially, but then felt that i really screwed it up (answered my ethics question vaguely and somewhat wrong and could have definitely amped up my confidence and fluidity of answers) .. I thought that this happening was next to a 0% chance..

but wow..

good luck to all the other wait-listers up there.. Keep ur spirits up!

Accepted off the waitlist at 3:17pm today! Sooooo so so pumped!! :)

Offered a spot at St George

GPA: 3.89

MCAT: 10/10/14 Q

Finished undergrad a year ago

ECs: a bunch...most relevant is 1 year full-time as medical assistant at a clinic

I'm a long time lurker and first time poster. Thank you to everyone who has been posting on these forums! All of the advice and updates have been so helpful! :)

I can't believe this!!!!

Accepted off of waitlist 3:10 PM emailed from Deborah like everyone else

GPA: 3.92

10 PS, 10 VR, 10 BS, P

Graduated undergrad (5 years with X-ray technology diploma)

Varied ECs, not as many as other people but I have been doing most of them for atleast 2 years (volunteering, dance, RA, etc)

Volunteered in a lab (PSYC) but have no papers and did not do any major projects by myself

I thought I could have done a lot better on my interview. I was pretty nervous and probably didn't expand on my experiences as much as they would've liked.

This is unbelievable and I really hope there is more movement for the rest of you waiting. I know how difficult this situation and it really blows but if you got this far it means you are so freakin' close. Best of luck and keep trying!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I've read the email about 20 times so far, but am still finding it hard to believe. Preparing myself mentally to deal with the possibility that the email was sent by mistake. But anyways, I was accepted off the waitlist, UTSG today.

GPA-3.75 (If they applied the weighing, 3.86)

Graduate applicant

9VR, 13BS, 13PS, Q

ECs: 1 UofT club leadership role, some community volunteering (about 2 years), research (about 3 years), hospital volunteering (2 years), work-study in history, 2 co-author publications, 1 poster and 1 oral presentation at international meeting, TAing, but I did take advice off these forums and wrote a very humble (instead of bragging) kind of essay, which I think was well received. I still cannot believe they're taking in someone as mediocre as me, but apparently, they are.

Here's to hope!

Congrats cryptic! I'm in the same position as you are, just got off the waitlist at 2:45 pm today and I'm still in disbelief. I'm scrambling to lock down the deposit and everything else, so that my place stays secure!

wGPA - 3.87

Just completed Undergrad (4th year applicant)

11VR, 14BS, 13PS, R

ECs: Fairly mediocre, in my honest opinion. Physician shadowing, tutoring, member of two exec committees (president of one), volunteer patient (for 1st and 2nd year med students), one summer of research, one summer working in a hospital administrative position, and a 4th year honours thesis. Probably the strongest part of my application was my Personal Statement and my LoRs.

To everyone else still waiting, don't give up hope! I think there's still a pretty decent chance to get in off the waitlist - they haven't shortened it at all yet as far as I know, and the facebook group is still ~50 under the class size.

• 11 months later...

Accepted

1.7 but weighted 1.8

12/14/5 S

EC: Ditch digging, ran the Seneca obituary writing club, participating in healthy volunteer studies, some hospital volunteering (with the landscapers), visited lots of pharmacies, spent 3 weeks in Africa (at all inclusive).

I can't believe this is happening. So surreal. Anyone up for a celebratory gerbiling tonight?

ACCEPTEDDDD!!!

Timestamp: 10:30 am

OMSAS GPA:3.86 (didn't qualify for weighting; my cGPA: 3.91)

ECs: research, leadership, hospital, teaching/tutoring - a good mix of activities i thoroughly enjoyed

U of T is my first (and only) choice! so I will be firmly accepting!

Accepted (10:30 timestamp)

UTM campus (My preference, so no surprise)

3.97 GPA (4.00 weighted)

38(39?) S MCAT

I thought this was my best interview so far, and still think so even though it was mid February.

Extracurriculars were very average, or below average. Hospital volunteering, lots of tutoring, student government.

Also accepted at Western, and waitlisted at Mac. Will be removing myself from Mac waitlist.

Accepted 10:54 Timestamp

UTSG Campus

4.00 GPA (don't qualify for weighting-3rd year UG applicant)

MCAT Flagged (14/8/12/R)

Was confident about interview at first but had my doubts

ECs: strong -hospital volunteering, NSERC, club exec, mentoring, tour guiding, other volunteering, faculty counsel

One of my LORs i know was great the other two I have no idea.

Waitlisted at Ottawa-will be accepting UofT!!!!!!!!! :)

Good luck to everybody waiting. Your posts have made the waiting so much more bearable. Thank you and best wishes for the future!