Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest UTMed07

Accepted and have confirmed on omsas for MAM!

UG GPA:3.88

wGPA:3.94

Grad GPA: 3.93 (in progress)

MCAT: 9/9/10 R

BSc in Biology and MSc in Nutritional Sciences

ECs: Did a lot of research, student council, NSERC x3, UG exchange, no publications but 2 poster presentations, etc.

Interview: I felt really good about it and I thought I did a good job at showing my interviewers who I really was

Can't wait to be a part of the MAMily!

3rd year

cGPA: 4.0

MCAT: 15BS/12/12

ECs: research (3 summers in a mol bio lab), hospital volunteering etc.

Interview: felt way better about it than my ottawa one

Rejecting Mac in favour of U of T

It's a nice touch that toronto puts us in contact with the second years who interviewed us :)

Accepted to St. George campus!!! :D

Graduate applicant (MPH 2013)

wGPA: 3.91 or 3.94 (depending on how my pass/fail grades are treated)

grad GPA: 3.96ish

MCAT: physical sciences flagged (with an 8); other sections above cutoffs

ECs: Lab research, population-based (epi) research, worked as an educational consultant and medical writer for 2 years, social justice trips to Latin America, peer health educator, numerous leadership roles and committee work, scholarships (OGS, NSERC, etc.), a few poster presentations, first author publication submitted.

Essays: I was thoughtful about the essays and used them to show my uniqueness.

Interview: Initially thought it went really well (super relaxed and conversational), then second-guessed myself for the past few months.

My only interview and I will be accepting. Looking forward to meeting everyone else this fall. Enjoy your summers!

UG applicant graduated 2012

wGPA: 3.95ish

MCAT: 13 9 12 S

ECs: Really diverse, big brothers, hockey coaching, a lot of research, 3 publications during UG (2 in seperate research fields), etc etc

Essays: Thought they were well written, worked on them for 2 months got all my friends to edit it and make sure they were good.

Interview: Very conversational; I enjoyed it! My interviewers were really nice people!

So happy I got into UofT. I really wanted to go here so will be defintiely accepting. I feel so lucky and the acceptance still feels surreal.

Accepted, IP

2nd year MSc

cGPA: 3.9

Not sure about wGPA, but I estimated it at around 3.96

Graduate GPA: 3.9

2nd year MSc

32M MCAT (12,10,10).

NSERC, OGS, and several other scholarships

Over 600 hours volunteering at a local hospital, volunteer trainer at several rehab programs on campus for patients with cancer or heart disease, a month internship at an overseas hospital, various student bodies and student support groups, tons of travel/ overseas volunteering in the Middle east.

Essays were good/okay. Spent around a week on them, and had several people proof read them for me.

Interview was short and informal, and totally unrelated to medicine; we spent most of the time talking about the war in middle east where i grew up. I had mixed feelings at the end of it.

Congratulations to all of you :)

• 2 weeks later...

Accepted from the wait-list!! Phewwww... Such a relief! :)

Time stamp: 3:36pm May 29th!

GPA: 3.92

MCAT: PS 8/ VR 10/ BS 9/ WS S

ECs: Several ECs and volunteer activities during Undergrad and Masters.

Year: Undergrad and MBA completed.

IP

Essays: I got a few people to read through them and it went through several rounds of editing.

Interview: Didn't think it went well at all. I was done in 20-25 minutes, which made me very nervous....but it all worked out in the end, I guess!

Note to potential applicants and those still wait listed: If Medicine is your dream, don’t give up! These things have a funny way of working out and if you’re meant to be a physician, you’ll get in sooner or later. Keep working hard, stay focused and continue to develop your skills/resume. Always remember – the mountains are the means, the man is the end. The goal is not to reach the top of the mountain, but to improve the man.

Time stamp: 9:11 a.m., May 14th.

Undergrad: U of T, St. George Campus.

cGPA: 3.98

MCAT: 39 S (PS 14, VR 11, BS 14)

ECs: Several clubs and volunteering

Research: NSERCs and publications (co-authored 2 papers, and multiple abstracts).

Essays: Very honest and brief. Took them to U of T's writing center to check for grammatical mistakes.

Interview: Very conversational. Really enjoyed the experience.

Offered St. George Campus. Will be accepting!

See you all in August!

• 2 weeks later...

Accepted off waitlist - MAM

Time Stamp: June 10, 2013 5:08pm

cGPA: 3.91

MCAT: 31S

ECs: Student government, scholarships, volunteering at hospitals, health promotion, and community health, club execs, 16+ years dance, mentoring, shadowing doctors.

Year: Graduated BSc from Dalhousie in 2012, working with federal government

IP/OOP: OOP

My actual reaction: "MAN, WTF!". I just signed an apartment and bought a car for MUN. And I have three days to make a decision now - Gonna have to have a little research and thinking time! Pretty sure this is all some cruel and weird joke - I was in disbelief when I got the interview in the first place!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

• 9 months later...

Please post only acceptances/regrets. Discussion will be moved to the other thread.

It will make it easier for everyone if you guys follow this format as usual:

TIME STAMP: XX:XX

Result: Acceptance or Regrets

Interview Date: MM DD

Program: MD or MD/PhD

cGPA:

wGPA: (if applicable)

MCAT: PS/VR/BS/WS

ECs:

Essays:

Year: UG, Masters or PhD

Geography : IP or OP

TIME STAMP: 2:50 PM

Result: Accepted!

Interview Date: MD: March 1, MD/PhD: March 2

Program: MD/PhD

cGPA: 3.92

wGPA: 3.98 (I think)

MCAT: 14/12/12 (PS/VR/BS)

ECs: Varied, lots of leadership positions. Most ECs were non healthcare related. Some research positions (no pubs)

Essays: I thought they were good, guess admissions thought so as well :)

Year: UG 4th year

Geography : IP

Good luck to everyone waiting. For those interviewing end of March, the best advice I can give is be yourself. I used to roll my eyes when people told me this, but it really is true. I think I was able to portray my personality (good and bad) during the interviews. I wasn't afraid to laugh at myself, or make the interviewers laugh. Think of it as a first date :)

• 1 month later...

TIME STAMP: 9:30 ish PM

Result: Accepted!!! St. George Campus

Interview Date: March 2

Program: MD

wGPA: 3.93

MCAT: 11/10/12 (PS/VR/BS)

ECs: Teaching dance, tutoring, lab positions, lots of volunteering

Essays: Felt confident in them after many many revisions.

Interview: felt amazing after it, but then questioned myself (not surprisingly) for the remaining months, but still felt good overall.

This is absolutely surreal, I am so grateful! I am very very excited to meet my fellow classmates of 1T8! If you didn't hear good news, please keep trying, push again and you will be rewarded!

TIME STAMP: 9:43 AM Eastern (the 1st messed up email)

Result: Accepted to St. George Campus

Interview Date: Feb 1st

wGPA: 3.97

MCAT: 14/13/12 (PS/VR/BS)

ECs: Executive/Chair of several committees, volunteering in a peer counselling position, literacy tutoring, worked in a dental clinic, I have my own independent online business, one research experience

Essays: Put in plenty of time, thought they were good :)

Interview: It was my very first interview so I wasn't really prepared for it as much as the rest. Had one really good station and the rest were meh.

TIME STAMP: 9:52 AM

Result: Accepted to St. George Campus

Interview Date: 03 30 (Morning check-in)

wGPA: 3.96

MCAT: Above cutoffs

ECs: Extensive research experience, first authoured paper, tutoring, hospital volunteering, worked with at-risk populations, exec member at a university club, awards and scholarships, etc

Essays: Felt confident about them. Had a current medical school student review them.

Interview: My best interview. Felt really good about it on the day of. But as time passed by I felt less confident about it.

Year: UG completed 2012

TIME STAMP: 10:26AM

Result: Accepted MAM Campus (first choice)

Interview Date: March 2

wGPA: ~3.89

MCAT: 11PS/9VR/14BS

ECs: Varied (research, medically-related employments, sports, scholarships, pubs, many oral/poster presentations)

Essays: Worked on them quite a bit; felt well-rounded

Interview: I thought that the first 3 went really well and the 4th was questionable, haha

Year: Finishing up my MSc

This definitely threw me for a loop since I was 95% certain that I wanted Dal. I think that I need a few days to think about my choice now.

Congrats to everyone!!

TIME STAMP: 10:17

Result: Accepted!!! UTM

Interview Date: Jan 25thish??

wGPA: 3.90

MCAT: 10/10/10 (PS/VR/BS)

ECs: 3 pubs (no 1st author), tutoring/TA, lots of clubs/exec, lots of volunteering, recreational/intramural sports, residence advisor, camp counselor

Essays: Felt very confident. Worked very hard on them and had quite a few people review them as well.

Interview: Felt good overall but very hard to tell. I was part of the first weekend so didn't know what to expect. But felt pretty good and I guess it was!

Year: MSc Completed

TIME STAMP: 10:19 AM EST

Result: Accepted to Mississauga! (1st choice)

Interview Date: January 25th

wGPA: 4.0 (if I qualified for weighting, if not 3.98)

MCAT: 10/11/12/Q (PS/VR/BS/WS)

ECs: 300+ hours volunteering as first responder, several other long-term volunteer activites, some unique short term activities, 4 years part time/full time employment, but 0 research!

Essays: Felt good about them

Interview: One station felt horrible, 1 went great, the rest felt okay

Year: 4th year UG

TIME STAMP: 10:26AM

Result: Accepted to Downtown Campus (first choice)

Interview Date: January 25th

wGPA: 3.87

MCAT: 30 with an 8VR

ECs: undergrad club execs, sports, research, volunteering, pubs, presentations

Essays: good

Interview: good-ish, hard to tell

Year: finishing up my MSc

Congrats Guys!

TIME STAMP: 10:28 AM

Result: Acceptance -- MAM

Interview Date: 02 02

cGPA: 3.72

wGPA: 3.84

MCAT: 12PS/9V/12B

ECs: Lots of research, special needs work, conferences, environmental outreach, 7 publications, teaching experience.

Essays: Spent a very long time on them

Year: 5th year PhD

Geography : OP

TIME STAMP: 10:33AM

Result: Accepted to St. George (first choice)

Interview Date: March 1st

wGPA: ~3.95

MCAT: 14/12/13

ECs: some research (no publications), worked as canoe trip leader 5 summers, board member of a non-profit at my school, summer spent working in a hospital, some shadowing, some TAing ,etc

Essays: thought they were good

Interview: felt good about my answers but was extremely anxious

Year: finishing up a one year Master's

Accepted (St. George, first choice)

Time Stamp: 9:53am

MCAT: 32O (9VR)

Graduated 2013

wGPA: 4.0

ECs: hockey, research, volunteering. the usual

Interview: felt really good afterwards, much better than I did at uOttawa (where I've been good waitlisted)

Geography: IP

This is great and I don't know what I'd do if I didn't get in. I don't think I'd have it in me to go through this for a third time. To the young premeds reading this, it's an amazing feeling.

To those who were accepted, I look forward to meeting y'all.

To those on the waitlist, I wish you the best of luck.

For those less fortunate, I hope you continue to pursue what you deserve.

Cheers, PM101

TIME STAMP: 10:03 AM EST

Result: Accepted St. George

Interview Date: February 2nd

wGPA: 3.78

MCAT: 10/11/10/(PS/VR/BS)

ECs: 2 pubs (1 first authour), some conference presentations, lots of theatre, curling, undergrad scholarship, etc.

Essays: Felt like they were pretty good.

Interview: One was pretty bad, felt one went really well, other two went fine.

Year: MSc Completed

Time Stamp : 10:17

Result: Accepted to MAM - My first choice :)

Interview Date: Feb 2nd

wGPA: 3.92

MCAT: 10/10/10

ECs: 3 published papers (one first author, two as the second author), NSERC aboard a research vessel.

Worked as a clinical research assistant part time during the academic year and full time over summers.

Volunteering - same community supper program for 10 years in my community, work with L'Arche in Honduras, volunteering at a shelter for sex-workers.

Essays: I spent a lot of time writing these, I felt they were strong.

Interview: Went well.

I am so happy to have been offered a spot at MAM. Can't wait to meet the rest of the 1T8s in August. :)