Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest UTMed07

finally worked myself up to posting. hopefully it will help someone in the future.

TIME STAMP: 10:10 am May 13th

Result: Rejected

Interview Date: Feb 1

Program: MD

wGPA: ~3.95

MCAT: 13BS/10VR/13PS

ECs: volunteering, work, sports, some research and awards

Geography: IP

Essays: Felt very good about them, had a med student review them (among other people)

Interview: thought 2 stations were great, 1 was good, 1 was bad at first. Felt worse and worse about them as time went on. Guess my initial gut feeling was wrong.

I really thought I had a good shot at U of T, felt terrible to not even be waitlisted

Here's hope for those of you without a >3.95 GPA.

TIME STAMP: 9:30 am May 13th

Result: Accepted

Interview Date: March 2nd

wGPA: 3.91 (not qualified for weighting (3rd year applicant))

MCAT: 13PS/11VR/11BS

ECs: Various, with greater emphasis on teaching and social justice (PM if you'd like to know more).

Essays: Spent a considerable amount of time on them and felt like they gave an accurate and holistic representation of myself.

Interview: One of them was extremely awkward but the rest felt like conversations that went really well.

• 3 weeks later...

TIME STAMP: ~10 am June 6th

Result: Accepted off waitlist (MAM)

Interview Date: March 2nd

wGPA: 3.95?

MCAT: 12BS/11PS/10VR

ECs: Lots of awards, and pretty average volunteering, except for volunteering in Africa.

Essays: Wrote honestly about myself, and why I want this program. Had people I know look over just to make sure nothing sounded odd.

Interview: Was a "meh". I answered everyone but sometimes had them repeat the same questions so that probably wasn't great. Also couldn't tell if I answered everything properly. Check with them if you answered their question! I selected MAM because it's closer to home, nicer building, and everything relatively in one place.

• 10 months later...

TIME STAMP: 9:06AM
Result: Accepted to St. George Campus
Interview Date: April 18 afternoon
cGPA: 3.94
wGPA: N/A
MCAT: met cutoffs
ECs: Fairly strong and diverse
Essays: Pretty satisfied with result, but nothing extraordinary
Interview: Decent interviews, one station went particularly well. Nothing stood out as bad.
Year: 3rd UG

TIME STAMP: 9:07AM

Interview Date: Feb 22nd
cGPA: 3.97
wGPA: 4.0
MCAT: 13B/13P/11V
ECs: I focused on quality instead of quantity in my sketch! My aim was not to fill out every spot, but to make them all count.
Essays: Spent quite a bit of time on them and felt great about them in the end. 
Interview: This was the interview I was most unsure about so this came as a pleasant surprise. Three stations felt great, however one felt much worse than the others. So there is hope! 
Year: 4th 

TIME STAMP: 9:02AM

Result: Accepted to MAM
Interview Date: Feb 22nd
cGPA: 3.74
wGPA: 3.91
MCAT: 11B/13P/9V
ECs: Lots of research due to MSc (3 pubs and 9 conference abstracts), no research in BSc, long term coaching and volunteer commitments, none medically-related. Just stuff I honestly enjoyed doing.
Essays: Months of revisions. Made them as perfect as I could. Tried to use personal examples and stuck to the point without being too wordy.
Interview: Only had 4 days to prep since I got a last-minute call based on a cancellation. Tried to be myself and let my personality shine through. I don't like sounding rehearsed anyways so it kind of worked in my favour I suppose.
Year: MSc Completed

Best of luck to everyone.

TIME STAMP: May 12 9:07 am
Result: Acceptance (St. George Campus!!!!)
Interview Date: March weekend
cGPA: 3.99 I think
MCAT: 11/10/12
ECs: See interview thread. Mainly research, some tutoring, lots of sports!
Essays: Spent a lot of time on them, thought they were really good!
Year: 4th year undergrad
Geography : IP 

Got the axe from Ottawa, so I will 100% be accepting. Super excited!

TIME STAMP: 0907

Result: Accepted to St George Campus

Interview Date: April 18th

cGPA: 3.85

wGPA: 3.93

MCAT: 10/10/10

ECs: very diverse and long term. ED volunteer (1400 hours), quality improvement research. student mentor, medical trainer, ED volunteer leader, hospital move leader constable

Essays: Spent quite a bit of time on these. I was detailed and made sure that my essays reflected the CanMeds roles. I had at least 6 people review them

Interview: Felt like a conversation with friends and I was feeling reat afterwards. 3 stations were good 1 was awkward.

After my waitlist at Ottawa, I was getting worried. But it looks like U of T saw the potential in me. So excited to meet everyone and start on this path.

Time stamp: 10:30am May 12th
rejected
Interview date: April 18th
wGPA 4.0
MCAT 35
ECs: Not too great, a few long term but nothing unique or monumental
Essays: They were pretty decent
Interview: I thought it went pretty well, didn't really catch me off guard. But the interviewers were so robotically friendly *truman show anyone* so who knows what they were thinking
Year: 4th year undergrad

It looks like offers are still trickling in so don't lose hope!

Time stamp: 10:39am May 12th

Accepted (St George Campus)!!

Interview date: April 18th

wGPA 3.87 (cGPA 3.68)

MCAT 32

ECs: Tons!

Essays: Alright - I wrote them from the heart though

Interview: To be honest, I was iffy about how it went, but it looks like it went well enough!

Year: Graduated undergrad

That's right, I'm not a grad student and I have a sub 3.9 GPA. It can be done! Congrats everyone!

TIME STAMP: 9:07 May 12th
Result: Accepted (St. George Campus)
Interview Date:  April 18th
cGPA: 3.96
MCAT: 10BS/9VR/12PS
ECs: Tons of work, volunteer, academic and leadership scholarships, pub, lots of research projects (see ottawa invite thread for more details if you want) 
Essays: Spent 2 months writing these
Interview: 1 felt a little shaky, 3 were outstanding.

This is surreal. 

TIME STAMP: 9:07 May 12th

Interview Date:  Mar. 7
cGPA: 3.97
MCAT: 14BS/11VR/14PS

Year: graduating undergrad
Essays: Felt good about these.
Interview: Felt good about all the stations. Thought two of them were outstanding.

TIME STAMP: 9:09 am May 12th

Interview Date:  Mar. 8
cGPA: 3.78

wGPA: 3.93
MCAT: 11BS/11VR/10PS

Year: 1 year out of undergrad
Essays: Thought they were good for the most part
Interview: Felt good about 2 and was unsure about the other 2

Result: Accepted 
wGPA: 4.00
MCAT: Met cutoffs
ECs: Varied (PM if interested)
Essays: Felt fairly good about them, made them personal
Year: UG 4
Geography : IP
Interview:  My favourite interview of them all, thought it went very well based on interviewer reactions and am so glad to know it was so. 

Feels unreal. So so thankful, this was my dream school. Have a lot of people and opportunities to thank for this, just feeling so grateful right now!  :D 

Thought I'd share for the first time. 

TIME STAMP: 8:54 AM MST May 12 

Result: Wait list
Interview Date:  April 18
GPA: 3.86

MCAT: 13BS/10VR/10PS
Geography: OOP

Year: 1 year out of undergrad
Essays: Didn't spend a lot of time on them but I felt that they were pretty good. 

ECs: Above average I'd say - lots, varied, and big long term commitments.  
Interview: Felt great about all of them coming out but upon reflection it may have been my worst interview this year.

I have also been wait listed at other schools I had interviews at. It should make me optimistic, but I was wait listed last year and never got the call. I guess it is time to start studying for the new MCAT. After being rejected off wait lists in 2014 I had a really difficult year and I struggled with applying again because I knew how much it hurt to see a lot of my friends move on into med school and not being given that chance. But I am really happy that I did reapply. I got a lot more interviews this time around even though it didn't work out the way I wanted to. AND I got to go to Ontario for the first time in my life which, for this prairie girl, was a great experience. 

While the premed life is an emotionally difficult one I have at least learnt over the past year that I am the only one who will judge myself for not getting in, that we really are our own worst enemies in this process. I think that I'm a stronger person right now and I know that this coming year will be better regardless of whether or not I get in off wait list. I hope everyone who got a rejection or wait list will be able to eventually see that they are still amazing people. 

Congratulations to everyone who got in to UofT (and anywhere else) and I hope I can join you guys this year. If not, I hope to see you while you volunteer at interviews next year! And to everyone who got rejected or is on wait list, I feel you. <3

And... I should get back to lab work. 

Result: Rejected 

Time Stamp: 10:30AM 

Interview Time: March and felt pretty darn good about them! 

GPA: 3.94 (not sure if I qualified for cutoffs or not!) 

EC's / Etc: Feel free to PM me or see some of my previous posts for a list! 

MCAT: 12/10/14

1st Year M. Sc. 

Good luck to everyone for their start in medicine next year who got a positive response! For those who didn't have the best news, keep on working hard and stay positive! 

TIME STAMP: 9:07AM

Interview Date: Feb 21st

cGPA: 3.99

wGPA: 4.0

MCAT: 12B/11P/9V

ECs: really made sure all my ecs were meaningful and connected to one another especially for my abs

Essays: Spent quite a bit of time on them and really liked the questions that I was being asked!!!

Interview: it was my first interview of the cycle. Two stations were amazing. One was ok. And one I felt I did so terrible. Guess everything else was good that it didn't matter :)

TIME STAMP: 10:31 am

Interview Date: Feb. 22 
Result: Rejection
cGPA: 3.99

wGPA: N/A
MCAT: 13/9/13
ECs: See interview thread
Essays: Worked hard on them and had many people review them. 

Interview: All stations were very conversational.  They went very well, and a couple interviewers mentioned that I did great. 

Year: 3rd year UG

TIME STAMP: 9:07 AM

Interview Date: March 8
Result: Accepted (St. George)
cGPA: 3.91

MCAT: 12P/11V/11B
ECs: Research, lots of volunteering and employment
Essays: Didn't get them done with enough time to have anyone edit, but felt good about them, spent a couple days writing them

Interview: Felt good about 1 station, thought 2 were ok and 1 was awful - guess I'm not great at judging my performance!

Year: 4th year UG