Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

Wow. I am so emotional right now I can't even believe this is real. I am so beyond grateful and humbled, not to mention extremely lucky.

Result: Accepted (NMP, first choice)

aGPA: Not sure how it translates but my GPA was 3.4. My undergrad GPA was 3.2 (!) and my grad GPA was 3.85 - people with lower GPAs it IS possible, please don't give up, if I can do it YOU CAN DO IT!
MCAT: 512 total (128/131/127/126)
ECs: Lots and varied. If interested, please PM me, I would be glad to help out.

Interview: Immediately after I felt good, I really enjoyed the day, everyone was really nice, and I really liked the "vibe" UBC gave off. Afterwards I started doubting myself and had fully convinced myself that I bombed at least half of the stations.
Year: Completed PhD
Geography: I am OOP but with PhD considered IP.

Congrats to everyone that was accepted! I look forward to meeting my fellow classmates.

To those of you who weren't accepted. Please don't give up. It has taken me a long time to get here and there were many, many, many times I wanted to give up. The self doubt can be overwhelming at times. I have received 14 rejections from medical schools and each one stung. You just have to slowly chip away at making yourself a better candidate and target the schools you apply to. Thank you UBC for valuing my journey! I can't wait to start.

Result: Rejected!

GPA: 89

MCAT: 34

ECs: I got a score of 24.... not amazing

Interview: I actually thought this interview went really well, but apparently not! On the OAS it says my score was below average. Just goes to show you that this whole process is a crap shoot.

Year: BSc May 2015; Gap year

Geography: IP

Oh, well, I got one acceptance, which is all I need :)

Result: Accepted!!!! AHHHHH :D  (VFMP)

GPA: ~83.7% (with worst year removed)

MCAT: 31 (10/10/11) Old MCAT

ECs: Various long term commitments within my university. I feel like long term commitments are key. The more long term ones were all focused in specific areas...but I also dabbled in other areas with commitments that were ~2 years long. I also included my hobbies and odd jobs I had since high school. 

Interview: It felt good...but you can never be sure. I had 1-2 awkward stations where I felt like I rambled a lot...but probably about 2-3 stations where I felt good. The rest was all a blur.

Year: Graduated BSc in 2015

Thank you to everyone on this forum...I've been a lurker for years, and this forum's helped a lot!

Result: Accepted! (IMP)

aGPA: ~83

MCAT: 9/11/11

ECs: Last year I got a 36.17, and added 1 publication, year working in research, performance in community theatre, and some other things to my application, while continuing old commitments. A lot of variety and a good number of hours. 

Interview: I thought it went really well with the exception of 1-2 stations, which obviously I obsessed over for the past 3 months.

Year: Graduated BSc in Kin 2014, currently in nursing but that wasn't on this application

So so so excited to be accepting this offer! I honestly did not think I had a shot given my GPA (and my prereq GPA sucked), and so was prepared for a rejection today. I am incredibly honoured and excited. For all of you who didn't receive an offer, please keep trying if this is your dream. Last year I wasn't even invited for an interview. All you can do is work hard to strengthen your application! For those with lower GPAs…IT IS POSSIBLE! If you want to message me feel free, I'm happy to help :) 

Result: Accepted (SMP--First choice of site).

GPA: 91.8% with worst year removed.

MCAT: 520 (132/129/131/128)

ECs: Random.

Interview: I thoroughly enjoyed the interview at UBC and thought it was a lot of fun.  Being genuine (warts and all) seemed to play out well for me at all programs that offered an interview.  

Year: Graduated BSc in 2015

Geography: OOP

Rejected... and not too sure what to do now in terms of improving.  I have rewritten MCAT already and I am a non-trad and my GPA won't improve with almost 200 credits under my belt. 

AQ 18.16 (Adjusted 81.4%)

NAQ 38.37

MCAT- meets cut offs 

Interview score: above average 

Year: Finished master's in 2010

Second time applying, first year interviewing...

I know my references were great so it is definitely a grades/MCAT issue

Bummed but happy for all those who got an acceptance. Congrats!!!

Result: Accepted IMP!!!

GPA: ~81

MCAT: 10/11/14

Interview: first interview! super nervous, and thought I bombed every station...

Year: 3rd year in second BSC program (previously finished another)

Congratulations everyone! This is my 6th time applying (YES, SIXTH), and first interview. Do NOT ever give up!!! Persistence is key, so keep trying!

Result: Acceptance *tears*

GPA: 87ish? :S  
​MCAT: low 30s

Interview: Got above ave. last year and was straight up rejected....felt better this year.

ECs: diverse - sports, arts, advocacy, research, politics, teaching, youth NGOs, disability work

Year: complete UG

#teampersistence

Result: Acceptance *tears*

GPA: 87ish? :S

​MCAT: low 30s

Interview: Got above ave. last year and was straight up rejected....felt better this year.

ECs: diverse - sports, arts, advocacy, research, politics, teaching, youth NGOs, disability work

Year: complete UG

#teampersistence

Was your mcat score low last year when you were rejected with above avg interview score?

Result: Accepted!!!! I look forward to meeting all of my peers soon!

oGPA: ~88%
MCAT: 7/10/8 = 25
As hard as it is to share this, I think it's important for anyone out there with a low MCAT to know that there is more to what UBC looks for than just numbers
ECs: This section was really personal and really true to who I am. I spoke not only to my volunteer and research experiences, but also about my background as a former foster child, as a young mother, and as someone who has cared for my siblings throughout their addiction struggles. I stayed honest about what was important to me and about the journey that has gotten me to where I am today.

Interview: I felt like I bombed one station, did ok on another, blew 5 of them out of the water and average at the rest?? So who knows lol. I did practice a lot before hand but on the day of I just had normal conversations with my assessors.
Year: Completed a BScN in 2015 and currently working as an addictions nurse
Geography: IP.

What an emotional day, I'm still in shock and am prone to bursting into tears. I just want to say thank you to everyone who has helped me from this site, I promise to pay it forward 10x over. I'll post more about my journey in The Non-Trad forum when I get over the shock and come back down to Earth :)

Result: Accepted!!!!!

AGPA: ~85

MCAT: 27

ECs: IMO quite strong and varied and I truly think UBC must have considered this my strong suit.

Interview: I walked out feeling a little numb and questioning every interaction but after going through each scenario (countless times) I thought it generally went really well. My life experiences and immersion within different cultures has strengthened my communication skills. I usually tend to do well in interviews but I practised A LOT which I think was also something that helped me present a calmer and relatable self come MMI.

Year: finished undergrad

Geo: IP

After terrible attempts at the MCAT and still ending up with a below average score I have been questioning and second guessing my pursuit of medicine for a while now. Although the MCAT and somewhat my GPA limited my ability of applying accross Canada I just had to have faith that UBC would recognize me for more than just the numbers on my transcript and my MCAT score. For other low MCATers, it's possible!

Please PM if you would like to know more about my ECs :)

Result: Accepted VFMP 1st choice

oGPA: 87.9%
MCAT: 33S
ECs: Decent I think.

Interview: Mediocre I thought though UBC thinks otherwise apparently.
Year: Completing Msc

Wasn't as excited as I thought I would be. On the fence about attending.

Result: Accepted VFMP (1st Choice) (Super excited to meet all my fellow classmates in August!!!)

GPA: 86ish% aGPA (Prereq GPA: 78ish%)

MCAT: 30Q (old MCAT)

ECs: Varied and numerous. Hospital volunteering, teaching, research etc.

Interview: 2nd time interviewing. Felt much more relaxed than the 1st time and practiced (but not too much) and I tried to be myself.

Year: Graduated with a M.Sc. degree.

To those who received offers this year at UBC, Congratulations and I can't wait to meet you all in August at orientation!

For those who received regrets this year please keep your chin up and if you want to pursue medicine as a career, keep trying and don't give up! This was my 3rd time applying and I feel that I have grown and become more confident and mature in my approach to the field as a whole by taking on activities that I am interested in and also in activities and jobs that pushed me outside of my comfort zone. (Feel free to PM me if you want to chat)

To those waitlisted this year, stay positive and be patient because you may receive good news at some point in the very near future as a fair number of students do decline their offers to UBC to attend school elsewhere or to pursue other opportunities. I was waitlisted last year and it can feel like an agonizing wait, but spend time doing things that you enjoy the most and if you receive bad news later on this summer try again, as to be waitlisted means you are a very competitive candidate for med school.

Best wishes to everyone!