Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

SO SO SO SO SO excited to get to post in this thread!

TIME STAMP: 12:01pm PST

Accepted SMP (First choice!)

AGPA: ~84
MCAT: 503
ECs: Mostly did things that I loved, lots of travelling, hiking, sports, hobbies. Hospital volunteering for 2+ years, board of directors for a volunteer organization, regional harm reduction coordinator for a volunteer agency that distributes necessities and harm reduction to the homeless. Volunteer and employee for organization teaching children with autism athletic skills. Solid employment history, currently senior consultant for a natural health consulting firm. Message me for more info! Only really started heavy volunteering after undergrad (graduated in 2015)
Geography: IP
InterviewCame out of it with a massive smile on my face and just a crazy feeling of gratitude to have been there to have that opportunity. Definitely got mixed up on a station and felt I said the wrong thing. Told myself if I didnt get in that I was still just so grateful to have had a shot.

I didn't realize fully I wanted to do medicine until my second year of university. Applied twice and rejected pre-interview. This was my first interview. If you feel like your grades or MCAT aren't high enough DON'T GIVE UP!! It may take a few tries but don't ever give up!

Excited to meet all you!!

2 hours ago, jfdes said:

6th time applying, 3rd time interviewing, still in shock to be posting this...

Time Stamp: 12:25 PST

Accepted, VFMP (first choice)
AGPA: 86.55%
MCAT: 512 (balanced, 129 CARS)
ECs: Student government, orientations leader, crisis line volunteer, volunteering with various charities, hospital, lab assistant at various research labs (paid), CIHR funding for a summer, working at a gas station, currently working as a policy analyst for government, and a few very random but unique hobbies (honestly could have either really helped or not counted for anything, they're pretty out there)
Year: BSc completed 2013, Master's completed 2016, currently working full-time
Interview: Honestly felt like the best interview I've ever had, and I've done 12 (!) of them in the past 5 years. I walked out of every station this year feeling pretty good, and knew I absolutely nailed at least two of them (the acting station went almost perfectly, and there was one where I really felt I connected with the interviewer). There were some that were probably average, but I didn't feel like I bombed any of them - which was a first. Usually I walk out of them unsure and crossing my fingers that things worked out (it never did), this time was completely different.

Stats from last year:

NAQ: 29.00
AQ: 25.58
TFR: 54.58
Interview: Below Average (below average the year before as well)

I feel so blessed to have finally received an acceptance to a Canadian medical school. I've been applying for years now, and have been given so many opportunities - which I always ended up blowing. I've interviewed at UBC the past 3 years, but I've interviewed at Calgary, McMaster, Alberta, and Saskatchewan (I had a really high old MCAT score) over the years. May has consistently been the worst month of the year for me, and last year was especially awful because I spent a lot of time practicing - every week for a couple hours since the previous summer - and still received a rejection. That was a pretty low point in my life tbh.

The practice did help, but I think the thing really holding me back was my lack of maturity. I had always been very academically focused, and to be honest hadn't really had a chance to live a life. I think doing that the past few years - falling in love, going to bars with friends, arguing about politics, moving to my own place and dealing with laundry and dinner - has really helped me grow as a person, and I think permanently changed who I am. I went into each of those stations as if I was talking to my girlfriend about an interesting topic over lunch. I had fully formed opinions and thoughts on subjects because I'd argued about these things over beer with friends (and on reddit). I'd had cool experiences to talk about not just from volunteer activities, but also from disagreements with a roommate or co-workers, or from moving across the country for a master's program.

Anyway, wanted to get that off my chest. This year really did feel different, and I'm glad it ended up being different. I interviewed at Calgary as well this year but felt terrible after (question style is very different from UBC imo, which I focused my preparation for), and got a rejection. I also interviewed at a US school and received an acceptance, but the tuition kind of terrifies me so I was still really stressed out this week.

To those who didn't get an offer this year, trust me when I say I know how it feels. I've had a lot of experience trying to improve my application over the years, so if anyone wants some advice, or even just to chat or rant, please reach out through PM. This process really involves a lot of luck, and there are so many amazing people who don't get accepted every year. If you really want this, it'll happen eventually.

You are a true inspiration. I was really down that I got a rejection today, but reading your story put a big smile on my face.

Thank you for not giving up.

Thank you for showing us that perseverance pays off.

Thank you for sharing your journey. 

I wish you all the best in medical school. You’ll surely become an amazing doctor.

Time Stamp: 12:25 PM

Accepted VFMP
AGPA:
~89.5%
MCAT: 513 (125 Cars)
ECs: average compared to everyone on here, longest duration was about 3 years or so but lots of leadership positions, volunteer at crisis line, hospital, little research. Most of my volunteer experiences were unique in that they were at places med students don't typically volunteer at. Message me if you would like more information. 
Interview: Felt really good about it during and right after. However, convinced myself that it wasn't good enough soon after and was preparing myself for a rejection. 

From last year (rejected pre-interview) 

NAQ: ~22

AQ: ~31

TFR: ~52 

Congrats to everyone else who has been accepted! To those who have been waitlisted and unfortunately rejected I hope you keep on trying and remember this rejection doesn't have anything to do with your suitability for this profession. 

I was contemplating not making any posts, but here 

5th App, 4th Interview:- Rejected

Early or Regular Deadline: Early
AGPA: 81.48
MCAT: 509 (127/124/130/128)
ECs: Non-Trad
Interview: Average

NAQ: 37.85 (-7 from last year)
AQ: 16.77

There's not much that I can say at the moment. Everything feels numb and so disappointing, I so hoped that this day would be different because I felt that I gave my all for interview prep and my interview was definitely better than last year. I guess with my low GPA Interview needs to be absolutely perfect to even stand a chance of consideration.

The struggle continues *sigh*.

TIME STAMP: 12:25PM

Acceptance/Waitlist/Rejection: Accepted VFMP!
AGPA: 3.97, not sure how it was converted but probably around 90-92?
MCAT: 523
ECs: Diverse ish, nothing super long term (mostly 1-2 years), PM for details
Interview: Overall felt good except one acting station! 

A little late...but hopefully helps ppl out!

TIME STAMP: 10:28 am May 11, 2018

Acceptance/Waitlist/Rejection: Rejected
AGPA: 91.20
MCAT: 518 (128 CARS)
ECs: sports playing/coaching, youth leadership, music leadership, currently working in medical clinic (1.5 years), kinesiologist volunteer/work (1.5 years), other volunteer work with organizations working with vulnerable and special needs populations, research assistant in a couple labs back in undergrad, couple poster presentations, other less significant things 
Interview:  Below Average

NAQ: 38.91
AQ: 32.61

TFR: 71.52

Last year: 

NAQ: 34.10

AQ: 29.44

TFR: 63.54

Interview: BELOW AVERAAAGE

This year really stings...thought I had improved my interview score vastly (practiced with med students, doctors, friends, family) and just overall more experience over the last year talking with new people and patients. The week prior to my interview was the worst week of my life...lost a close family member in a car accident and interviewed the morning after her funeral. I know that probably took an effect on my performance but I almost felt unfazed and less nervous after having to help plan a funeral, support my wife and just grieve through this shock the week prior. I really needed a win this year so was hoping so much I'd get in but nevertheless my perspective on this whole process has really been changed. There's way too much in life to enjoy than to focus on this totally unpredictable, stressful process. For others that got rejected yesterday, enjoy your weekends off, travel spontaneously, try something new and spend time with friends and family! It really can be a blessing getting rejected looking back on my experiences. Awesome job to those that got in...it's really inspiring to hear all your stories. 

Also, if anyone has any tips for improving a below average interview I'd really appreciate it ;) also, i'll need some new ppl to practice interviews with in Victoria next year so sending out an early request :) 

Congrats to all those who were accepted (welcome to the fam and make sure to join the FB group!). To all those who weren't accepted, I know the disappointment, frustration, sadness as I went through 4 years of that before I was accepted. If you're considering of reapplying and need advice on your application on how to write a better NAQ, how to improve the MMI interview or just want to chat, feel free to PM me! 

TIME STAMP: 12:25pm May 11, 2018

Acceptance/Waitlist/Rejection: Accepted VFMP
Early or Regular Deadline: Regular
AGPA: 87% OGPA, no grades removed
MCAT: 520 (129 CARS)
ECs: hospital volunteering, Down syndrome foundation, crisis line, research (no pubs), small awards nothing prestigious, living abroad for 8 months, co-op, piano, writing, project leader roles etc. Honestly, nothing spectacular or out of the ordinary

Current Degree: 3rd year, finished co-op year this term and would have graduated in May 2019 from UBC BSc. Hons Integrated Sciences

Interview: 
Felt pretty good about it except for the acting station which I knew I messed up, and the writing station where I didn't finish my essay

NAQ: above 25.9
AQ: probably around 25.75 based on my GPA

I was surprised by this, but very happily so. I was hoping to finish my degree to be eligible to apply for MD PhD next year and only applied to UBC this year thinking wouldn't get in and I'd apply more broadly next year. Excited about this though and accepted my offer today, so hope to see some of you in August!

Feel free to message with any questions

On 5/11/2018 at 9:03 PM, Lothrandir said:

I was contemplating not making any posts, but here 

5th App, 4th Interview:- Rejected

AGPA: 81.48
MCAT: 509 (127/124/130/128)
ECs: Non-Trad
Interview: Average

NAQ: 37.85 (-7 from last year)
AQ: 16.77

There's not much that I can say at the moment. Everything feels numb and so disappointing, I so hoped that this day would be different because I felt that I gave my all for interview prep and my interview was definitely better than last year. I guess with my low GPA Interview needs to be absolutely perfect to even stand a chance of consideration.

The struggle continues *sigh*.

Is it possible for you to take some classes and also rewrite the mcat?

My NAQ dropped a couple points this year too.

Sorry to hear of your rejection. I am with you on that one. 

A little late, but only because I'm still in shock...

3rd application, 1st interview. 

Accepted, VFMP

TIME STAMP: 12:25 PM
Early or Regular Deadline: Regular
AGPA (if applicable): 84.4%
MCAT: 510
ECs: Research (6 pubs, 5 first author, 3 oral and 3 poster presentations), hospital volunteering, costa rica volunteering, tennis player, tennis coach, hobbies, travel, second language, various ECs with people of different backgrounds (marginalized populations). 3+ years of clinical research experience, lab research in undergrad.

Interview:  Felt pretty numb leaving the interview, I didn't feel like I bombed any station, but didn't feel like I nailed any either. 

Long-time lurker here. Im a little late, but I thought I'd contribute.

1st Application, 1st interview

Graduated in 2017 from UBC

Accepted: VFMP (first choice)

TIME STAMP: 12:25pm

Early or Regular Deadline: Regular

AGPA: ~87%

MCAT: 515 (125 CARS)

ECs: 6+ years co-leading humanitarian trip, organized  Africa humanitarian trip, 6+ years youth organization, 3.5 years volunteer at senior home, 3 years with helping food shelter, 4 years volunteering at charity for low-income families ,7+ years helping with teaching children at Sunday school, tutoring, 6 years Ball hockey (2 years competitive), 7 years summer children camp, jyejitsu, French native speaker, hobbies (garden work, traveling, softball, snowboarding).

Awards: 1st place hockey trophy from local tournament, Volunteer of distinction award, 

Interview: Felt comfortable initially, but started overthinking about my answers for months to the point that I thought I did terribly. I felt okay about 6~ stations, 1-2 stations I thought didn't go so well (in my opinion). Acting station went alright. 

Congrats to everyone who got accepted. This thread has helped me for years, im so grateful for this community! To those who didn't get an offer, please don't give up. Do things that you are passionate about. For me, that was helping with children  who are in need, and helping at my church. Most of my ECs, I've been doing since early on in high school. I genuinely loved doing them. I found that in my interview, those were what I talked about a lot LOL.

After five years of stalking this forum, I've decided to write my first and last post: 

3rd application, 1st interview

Accepted, VFMP

Time Stamp: 12:25pm

Early or Regular Deadline: Regular

AGPA: 88%

MCAT: 510 (128/125/130/127)

Geography: IP 

ECs: Not going to go into too much detail. Over 4+ years of community service, including several leadership positions. Played basketball throughout high school and recreationally in university. 3 summer research positions at various different hospitals with three poster presentations and one abstract publication. Worked in retail and rental management industries. 

Interview: Was definitely my strength. Had a lot of fun and tried to connect with each interviewer. Only really had one misstep in my last station but was able to recover. 

For all those pre-meds out there, don't always listen to what you see / hear on these forums! Most times after spending time on various threads, I would leave it feeling dejected and not as proud of my own accomplishments. Whenever you read something on here, know that it hasn't been verified. Please don't change your ECs just because someone on here says "that's what got me in." Believe in yourself and rely on those who really have your best interest at heart (friends and family). There's no mold for getting into UBC so you shouldn't try and copy other applications. Do what you love and give it 100%. You got this!  

Accepted, PGMP
AGPA: 82%
MCAT: 508 (balanced, 126 CARS)
ECs: Involved working many different jobs, diverse volunteer work, leadership positions (This is probably my best category)
Year: Masters
Interview: It was hard to tell how the interview was coming out. I felt like I definitely could have done better, but looking back on it I think it went fairly well. I practiced scenarios and talking a lot to prepare and had two previous interviews to practice (last year), which definitely helped. 

TIME STAMP: 14:36 EST, May 11th

Acceptance/Waitlist/Rejection: NMP
AGPA: 86ish (Not sure -- exchange during undergrad made it difficult to calculate)
MCAT: 509 (CARS: 127)

Interview: I felt really good about the interview. Spent a lot of time prepping using the exact same format as UBC.

ECs:  I assume my 2-year Master's was biggest here (awards, conferences, highlighting unique commitments and activities associated with this degree, also provided me with great reference letter opportunities that I'm quite confident were strong, etc. [would highly recommend a Master's for anyone looking to grow personally and on their CV for applying again!]), highlighted hobbies and unique things (student exchange, music, hiking, intramural sports, growing up abroad, etc.), long-term student first aid volunteering, work with patient safety organization, long-term volunteer research commitment, tree planting, grown up rurally and volunteer/ participate in many rural activities (for rural application).

I didn't feel like the strongest candidate going in based on my academic stats, but feel that the interview and ECs (I spent extensive time editing and re-editing how I expressed myself in this part of the application, and feel as though it really paid off), along with my Master's, were the biggest factors in getting me in. Hope this helps!

• 2 weeks later...

So happy and relieved to finally been able to post this..

Accepted
AGPA: 83.2%
ECs: worked many odd jobs, had diverse volunteer experiences, included my involvement in sports and music
Year: Graduated in 2014 

This is my FIFTH application (yes 5TH application) and 4th interview. In the past, my NAQ scores have been around 32+, the biggest challenge I had was the MMI, which after the 3rd interview, I realized what I had to change and luckily it worked (one of the interviewers even commented that me, "that was a really impressive response."  My first three interviews have been between "Below Average" and "Average." 

This forum has been a blessing to me and I'm happy to help others in any way possible. Feel free to message me.

15 hours ago, pretty daffodils said:

So happy and relieved to finally been able to post this..

Accepted
AGPA: 83.2%
ECs: worked many odd jobs, had diverse volunteer experiences, included my involvement in sports and music
Year: Graduated in 2014 

This is my FIFTH application (yes 5TH application) and 4th interview. In the past, my NAQ scores have been around 32+, the biggest challenge I had was the MMI, which after the 3rd interview, I realized what I had to change and luckily it worked (one of the interviewers even commented that me, "that was a really impressive response."  My first three interviews have been between "Below Average" and "Average." 

This forum has been a blessing to me and I'm happy to help others in any way possible. Feel free to message me.

congrats! did u get accepted off the waitlist?

Long time lurker here, and a 5th time applicant! Finally!

TIME STAMP: May 11th, 2018

Acceptance/Waitlist/Rejection: Accepted to my 1st choice site
AGPA:  ~83%
MCAT:  515 (had to write the new one while working full-time for this application)

EC: extensive, non-trad, masters completed and working for a few years
Interview: last year was above average

The first two applications I did not receive any interview, then I really put in a lot of efforts to showcase my life on my third application, and I got an invite ! After this, it took 3 more cycles of interviews to finally get accepted and I can’t believe this is really happening! First time interview was a regret right away, second time was regret after waitlist, and this year finally no regrets. 

Without a high GPA, its been a long journey but I am so grateful that it took long. I’ve grown much more mature for this offer to come and really appreciate it. If you are reading this and feeling down, trust me I know how you feel.  If medicine is truly what you want to do, don’t  give up! Keep trying, doing things that you truly enjoy and you will get there someday! :)  

• 2 weeks later...

Time Stamp: 9:02am, Tuesday, June 5th (3rd round of invites)

3rd time applying, 2nd interview

Accepted IMP (Off wait-list, 2nd choice)

AGPA: ~85% (B.Sc.)

MCAT: 508 (126 Cars) 

The first time I wrote it I got 505, went back for a re-write after last years rejection.  Wasn't a huge improvement, but I know everything helps.

ECs: Lots of sports related things, such as coaching football and basketball at my high school, playing basketball at a youth custody center, on a committee for a charity that supports kids playing sports, play in semi-competitive leagues, intramurals.  All long term commitments (several years or longer).  Did some of the traditional stuff such volunteering at hospitals and health related organizations, some tutoring. Also added some smaller things, like volunteering at an animal shelter, playing music, travel experience.  Finally, I added some life experience that I thought would give them an idea of who I am (split family, 4 younger siblings, etc.). No research or publications.

Interview: Average last year.  Second time doing the interview was a huge benefit.  First time I was super nervous and definitely rambled on some of the stations.  This time I felt fantastic coming out of this interview and I'm almost certain it helped my overcome my low MCAT and average grades.

From last year (rejected post -interview) 

NAQ: 30.56

AQ:  22.87

TFR: 53.43

I've been lurking on this forum for 2 years now, reading posts of success stories of people who had similar applications to mine.  It helped keep me hopeful, and for that I am thankful. So I wanted to post my story to give those people like me out there some hope as well.   My advice would be (and this was also given to me by my step-dad who graduated from UBC med many many years ago), if it's really something you want to do, it is only matter of WHEN not IF.  I didn't do a lot of volunteering when I was doing my undergrad and had to catch up after I graduated.  I picked stuff that I enjoyed doing (such as sports, coaching) which made it a lot easier to commit to for a long period of time.  Of course, everyone needs to throw in some strategic volunteering, but I really think most of it should be stuff that is representative of who you are.  Everyone's application is different, so focus on your strengths.  For me it was my ECs and my interview, of that I am certain. And don't be afraid to add things to your ECs that you may think are not important! They want to get to know who you are, and how you spend your time.

For the interview I tried to show an ability to see multiple sides of the issue, look at the big picture, and take an integrative approach to a solution.  The prompts will never have a simple answer, that's the way they are designed.  Talk through it, show empathy and compassion to all sides of the issue, be confident and willing to correct yourself. or to stop and think for a few seconds to collect your thoughts.  Most of all, try to have fun with it and be genuine. Anyway, if this post gives even one person some hope then I will consider it an success. I'm so happy right now, it's an incredible feeling to see that e-mail after so much rejection and heartbreak.  Just keep working at it!

• 3 weeks later...

Result: Accepted off waitlist (June 25/2018 @14:34 pst)

AGPA: 82%
MCAT: 512
ECs: Diverse experiences including leadership experiences 
Interview: 1 station felt rough, another one I reflected on I thought was bad and the written station was awful. 

Really didnt think I would be in this position after all the waitlist rounds had passed! Here’s some hope for non-traditional applicants with low GPAs! 

• 9 months later...

I cannot believe I finally get to post this!! 

Result: Accepted (MD PhD) (April 11/2019 @1:00 pm EST)

AGPA: 90.5%
MCAT: 514 

Year: Finishing M.Sc. this summer. (1st-time applicant)
ECs: Diverse: leadership, community outreach, advocacy for refugees and newcomers, lots of research, arts/sports/music.
Geography: OOP
Interview: I felt okay coming out of the MMI, then a month later I doubted all my answers -_- (initial impression: ~9/10 stations went well, one was really iffy).  

• 4 weeks later...

Timestamp: 2:01 EST

Result: Waitlisted 

Early or Regular Deadline: Regular
AGPA: 91.7
MCAT: 51x 

Year: Done my masters
ECs: Pretty good mix
Geography: OOP
Interview: I felt horrible coming out of that interview so I am very happy to be on the waitlist. Essay was very standard and easy to write about.