Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

You have NO IDEA how excited I am to post here.

Accepted VFMP (1st choice...very excited to be moving to vancouver)

OOP

GPA (overall) - 3.93/4.00 OMSAS

last 60 credits GPA - 3.93/4.00 OMSAS because my last 60 were just my first 2 years of school

MCAT: 13PS 6VR 12BS S (31S) - they are serious about WS and english mark making up for your VR (i got an A in english and S on the writing sample)

just finished 3rd year at the University of Manitoba in Biochemistry

wrote the MCAT again to apply for next year 13PS 9VR 12BS T (34T)

1 summer of NSERC - protein chemsitry

travelled overseas for 2 months volunteering at HIV/AIDS clinic

hospital volunteering

volunteering with autistic children

some intramural sports

TAing

more travelling

other activities i wont bother mentioning but showed a great deal of commitment to

1st time applicant

such a roller coaster year

Applied: UT, Queen`s, Ottawa, UofM, UofA, UBC

Rejected Pre-interview: UT, Queen`s, Ottawa, UofM, UofA

Interviewed: UBC

Accepted: UBC

all you need is one

psyched to meet the class of 2011...ahhhh

Accepted OOP into VFMP (1st choice)

Honors B.Sc. (biology) UofT

OMSAS GPA: 3.93

MCAT: 9/11/12 R (V/P/B)

Other: little bit of everything....teaching, fundraising, volunteering at hospitals and nursing homes, reserach, awards, music, sports

Accepted: MUN, UBC

Waitlisted: UofT, Ottawa (my own province doesn't seem to like me :confused:), Alberta (eventually accepted)

Rejected: Dalhousie

I'm really torn between MUN and UBC...small class size at MUN appealed to me, but living in vancouver is very very enticing! :P

don't be too down on yourselves for those who are disappointed with their resutls this year. I was rejected pre-interview last year from UBC...and this year i was accepted! So...keep trying if this is what you really want :)

• 2 weeks later...

Accepted IMP (first choice)

IP applicant

3rd year applicant (have been working on a Biology/Psychology combined degree at UVic)

Overall: 87%

Last 60: 87%

Prereq: 83%

MCAT: 10/10/10 P

ECs: oncology ward volunteer, medical volunteer in China, highschool and university vollleyball, film-making, bible study leader, lots of traveling...

Only applied to UBC, this is my first med school application.

• 2 weeks later...

I was just accepted off the waitlist! I'm very excited. I'm a nontrad student (as most of you already know). I just wanted to post my not so hot MCAT scores to give others faith that with a great interview and extracurriculars it can happen. It was my first time applying and I only applied to UBC and U of C. Obviously no interview was granted at U of C as an OutofProvincer b/c of my MCAT.

MCAT: 9,9,8, P (yucky!)

last 60: 89%

prereq: not even sure...I got high marks in all of them except Biochem 300 (UVIC) 1996...I'm too embarrassed to reveal that result. It is in old, old posts if you want to know.

extracurrics: tonnes of volunteer, travel and lived in Taiwan for 2 years, worked as an OT for 6 years, mom.

Just got accepted off the waitlist too!!! I'm an IP graduate student accepted to IMP which I am totally excited about.

Took a BSc in Biopsych at UBC and am finishing my Masters in Neuroscience this year.

MCAT: 11/11/9 O (not so great, I know. Well, compared to others posted on here)

Last 60 credits: ~86%

Overall: ~83%

Pre-req: ~85%

ECs: lots of volunteer (palliative ward, HIV/AIDS, teaching), travel, captain of sports team, 2 pubs, etc

Third time applying to UBC, so third times a charm I guess:)

Neurodude. 3rd times the charm for me too.

Accepted IP to VFMP

BSc Integrated Science from UBC

MCAT: 12/11/10 M (M-The bain of my existence)

AMCAS GPA: 3.65 overall

Extracurricular: TONNES!!! Grew exponentially as each year of rejections happened. My family had to book me in advanced to have dinner with me. (that's not a joke)

Worked for 3 years in a completely non-health related job.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Accepted to VFMP, 1st choice

1st time applying, IP applicant

Finished Undergrad 3 years ago, A- average overall, last 2 years a little higher, Honours in biology, took 6 years to complete (not full time last few years)

Lost of extracurricular (national team athlete, travelled alone and volunteered in India and Asia for 1 year, worked with youth with disabilities, volunteered in medical clinic 2 years, tree planter ect)

MCAT- 9P, 10VR, 12B, P

First and foremost I’d like to give a pat on the back to everyone that applied.

I was rejected post-interview for the second time at UBC (in province).

I just completed a B.Sc. in Biology, GPA ~ 7/9

Extracurriculars:

-Health promotion society founder / director / policy advocate

-Volunteer with two hospitals and at blood clinics

-Crisis lines volunteering

-Suicide awareness for youth

-Impaired/dangerous driving prevention

-A BC youth leader & press conference MC at the National Conference on Tobacco/Health

-University orientation leader

-United Way volunteer award recipient of ages 20-24

-Scholarship recipient

-Indoor volleyball (competed nationally)

Jobs:

-Automotive journalist/photographer

-ESL tutor and summer school teacher (inc. summer camp)

-Beach volleyball league manager

-Car detailer

-Busser

-Actor

-Lab work

Other rejections:

-No acceptances across Canada, USA, Ireland, Britain

I am:

-depressed

I've dreamed about typing this, and I am ecstatic as I am doing so.

Overall and last sixty approx 85. Prereq approx 82

MCAT 13 10 14 O (370)

3rd year applicant in life sciences

Research during all summers while in university

Volunteering at several hospitals and first aider

Some leadership through student organizations

Active in high school

Many other activities which show commitment and dedication

I have to say that I have worried from the application due date till yesterday. I've learned that worrying is completely pointless, and I can't do anything about it, so why worry?

Hi all, here's my story:

I graduated university with no clue what to do with life so I decided to pursue medicine. I spent 1 year taking the prereqs, appplied and left to travel. I returned from the travels for the interview but was not accepted. I don't have a contingency, so I travelled for the next year again.

I returned from travels for the interview but was again not accepted. This time had a contintengy, so I worked a great job for 1 year, had the interview in Feb, and was again not accepted (found out today).

Along the way I realized that I wasn't really cut out for medicine. I would probably be a good doc but not as good as many of you people who are much more dedicated, have better memories and are more genuinely compassionate.

I realized that my skills were my work ethic, my professionalism and my sharp mind. So this year I wrote the LSAT and will be attending UBC law in Sept.

I'm a little choked about not getting in but getting more excited about law - I may have mainly wanted to get in for ego gratification, and I think I'll make a better, more satisfied lawyer.

Hats off to all of you. I'm a strong student, got 95% on the MCAT and still got my butt kicked 3 years in a row. Stay strong in med, I hear it's one hell of a slog.

Congratulations to everyone who got an acceptance! To those who were waitlisted...hang in there! The list will move soon after May 30th!

Accepted

[This was my 2nd time applying (first time waitlisted and then rejected very, very soon after...) I believe they said that my interview was weak at parts...]

GPA 90%

MCAT 33P

ECs...your average hospitals/clinics/fundraisers/volunteered in New Zealand

a bit of athletics (ultimate, badminton, skiing)

music: piano & singing

did a year of co-op following 3rd and worked in a lab for a year following BSc graduation...

I really enjoyed the new MMI interview format :]

looking forward to meeting all my classmates!

1st time: rejected post-interview

2nd time: rejected post-interview

3rd time: waitlist

i guess we'll wait and see. i'm traveling europe now so it's great to finally have the news broken to me. relieves some of the anxiety.. for now. anybody know how long it takes for the waitlist to move? how often do people get in off the waitlist?

IP, 4th year, and I was accepted at UBC Vancouver. Congrats to everyone who applied and made it this far. I'm going to post my stats because I found it helpful to browse these stats in the past.

Just finished my BSc

MCAT: 34O

GPA: 3.98/4.00

Volunteering: Standard health care volunteering to explore medicine, average amount of non-medical related volunteering

Work: Various summer jobs including doctor's office filer, group home care aide, and now research

ECs: lots of sports and outdoor activities

Interview: went well

This is my second time applying - I was rejected post-interview at UBC and U of C my first time around.

Interviewed: 7 schools

Waitlisted: 3 schools

Accepted: UBC, U of A

I am super excited about being accepted at these two schools as they were my top 2 choices. I will likely be attending UBC in the fall.

Likewise, I agree with jsmooth about ostentaisiousness.

Just to give hope to all those in the same boat as me.

2nd year applying and finally got in.

Am a mature student with very average grades and very very very average MCAT score.

Grades aren't everything. They can't possibly be as I am living proof of this.

Best of luck.

Very happy to be posting here.

BC resident

Undergrad: Queens (BScH) and TRU (BAH)

Overall average: around 80%... last two years compensated for the first two

MCAT: 30

3rd time applying (2 rejections pre-interview)

EC: More than I can actually remember. That's not what's important... what is important is that you find an area and stick to it rather than bouncing from volunteer position to volunteer position.

accepted into IMP, first choice.

Also very happy to be posting here!

I was: Accepted (first time applying, in-province)

GPA: ~3.75

MCAT: 32Q

EC: long-term volunteering in the downtown eastside and hospitals, student government involvement, intramurals, etc.

Very excited for next year!

Accepted VFMP! First choice, first time applying

7.35/9 Overall GPA

8.2/9 Last two years

MCAT: 10 PS 9 VR 14 BS R WS

ECs: 3 year volunteer pediatric oncology camp, on-call sexual assault support worker, student government, and more that I am too lazy to write...

I was extremely surprised to be accepted on my first try!! It can be done!!

I am very excited to meet everyone!