Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

Accepted VFMP

First time applying, graduating this year (BSc, arts minor)

GPA: 86%

MCAT: 34O (12PS/10VR/12BS)

NAQ: probably the strongest part of my app even though I DID NOT volunteer in a hospital setting. Had mostly community involvement activities, artistic endeavors, lots of leadership roles (volunteering & at work), traveling, various intramural athletic involvements, lifeguarding, etc.

MMI:Thought it went well. Practiced to gain familiarity with format, but went with what felt natural during the interviews.

Accepted to VFMP IP

Second time applying, rejected pre-interview last year.

MCAT: 34Q (11PS/11VR/12BS)

Grades: 86.8%

Less worst year: 88.6%

Pre-reqs: 84.5%

I had a low NAQ after being rejected pre-interview last year (average interviewees was ~15 and I had ~9.5). I volunteered like crazy between January and June. I also re-assessed my application wording and made a lot of changes. I believe that I benefited greatly from new experiences, from re-wording, from the addition of a "research" section to the application and also from the new academic % calculation (I am from UVic).

Accepted VFMP (IP)

1st time applicant, just finished 5th year undergrad

cGPA: 88.8%

weighted (89.7%)

MCAT: 10/10/Q/12

Prereq: 85.6%

EC's: varsity/international athletics, research (w/ pubs), executives, student council, hospice, BBBS, music, etc.

MMI: felt really good initially but was also a victim of creeping doubts as the 15th approached.

Congrats to all those accepted and good luck to all those on the wait-list. Super torn between UBC and some other schools...lots of thinking to do before the 23rd

Accepted IP for VFMP!

2nd time applying - no interview last time. Looking back I didn't phrase things to best describe what I actually did. Truthfully it just wasn't the right time for me at that point.

GPA: not sure - AGPA is 80s in undergrad, last two years (M.Sc) is over 90%.

MCAT: 29R

NAQ: Loads and loads. Research experience, lots of volunteering in things I am passionate about, lots of leadership, travel, personal experiences, a few sports, etc.

MMI: I LOVED it. I was nervous as much as the next person but it was a lot of fast-paced fun! :)

Only applied to UBC and Vancouver was my first choice :) So totally ecstatic!!! Can't wait to meet all of you in September!

Congratulations to all accepted! Good luck to all waitlisted, and do not give up your dreams if you are rejected this year. Pursue it again next year if this is something you truly want to do. :)

Accepted VFMP, OOP (Ontario)

3rd year undergrad

GPA: 90+%

MCAT=35R

NAQ: Thought it was pretty standard things, volunteering, research, but was extremely involved with the student body, particularly first year student advising and focused on that on the app. Focus on your strengths!

MMI: Hopefully this will help other anxious applicants post-interview in the future: I actually did not feel good about this particular interview at all. In one particular ethical scenario, the interviewer kept pushing me to take a stand (on a matter of life and death of the patient). I took a stand but later felt it wasn't strongly supported (under pressure of the interviewer, it was more a gut feeling than using ethical principles to support my stance, lol) Maybe that's what they are looking for? So UBC acceptance came as a lovely surprise. :)

Interviewing at UBC was my first trip out west and I loved the city (given it was extremely foggy that weekend, I was told it's not common ;) ) I will most likely be accepting UBC, and I can't wait to meet you all in the fall!! :)

OOP 4th year applicant

Waitlisted

MCAT: 12/9/11

EC: tons of research, lots of involvement in student clubs, hospital volunteering etc.

Interview: thought it went terrible, probably the hardest MMI I've done.

Will be removing myself from the WL for toronto.

IP

GPA (un-weighted) = 87

MCAT: 34P

Interview: felt great immediately after, but my opinion of my interview gradually decreased to the point that I thought I bombed every station. There was one station, possibly 2, that I definitely did not do very well on.

Accepted into SMP, and on the wait-list for VFMP :)

Sorry for the late post. Reading these stats helped me and gave me hope when I was applying so I hope I can do the same for someone ^^

Accepted IP VFMP

2nd time applying, wait-listed last year and rejected end of May/early June, accepted this year. Graduating this year as well.

GPA: 88.4%

Weighted: 89.2% if I'm calculating it correctly. I just took my worst year off using the SSC calculator.

MCAT: 32M. Yes..M..I almost didn't make the cutoff.

NAQ: Nothing crazy. A bit of research but that was just work-study, no scholarship or published papers or summer research program etc. Quite a bit of involvement in music teaching piano and theory.

Accepted into VFMP! I hope my stats will give some hope to those who are feel their academics are less than stellar. I remember reading these threads when I was applying, and they definitely helped give me hope!

Undergraduate, IP, MCAT 32 (PS 12/V 9/BS 11/T), first time applying, UBC was my first choice.

81% - Prerequisite Average

83% - Overall GPA

I really feel the interview helped me get accepted (even though I didn't feel particularly good about it afterwards). The most important thing is to be yourself!

I know I looked through this thread in the past to see how I stacked up, so here are my stats! Hopefully it's useful for someone else too! Sorry for not posting earlier... I was too excited!

Accepted! Second time applying, first time interviewing. IP.

oGPA: 82.7% aGPA: 83.5% prereq: 82.5% MCAT: 33O (11, 11, 11)

EQ: If last year's NAQ score was any indication, I have pretty strong EQs. Lots of diverse experience for travel, employment, and volunteering... I've worked and volunteered in hospitals/clinics and done lots of random stuff in the community. A couple of my entries were over 1000hrs and a lot were in the 100s.

Interview: I felt it had gone pretty well. Didn't regret anything I had said although I had thought of other things I wished I had said as well. I practiced a lot... maybe that helped?

Good luck to everyone on the waitlist!! And keep at it anyone who was rejected! You definitely don't need a 90% average to get in!

This blog definitely helped me and gave me hope over the years...so I thought I'd contribute...

IP

Accepted to first choice location...shocked/pumped/hasn't sunk in AT ALL!

First time applying

Gpa-3.6

Mcat 29Q

Naq- this saved my bacon... Been volunteering any and every where I could think of since I got into university 8yrs ago. Don't want to give too much info on here as it could be an identifier. Lots of research, publication, kids stuff, committee stuff, international stuff....

Thought interview went splendidly...actually had a couple interviews ask me where I went to school/what my degree was... And one even said they hadn't 'heard answer as unique as that all day'. My big suggestion for future interviewers is read read read, listen to CBC radio all year leading up to ur interview, know the medical system/its political structure/who the big cheeses are and what they are doing well/not well...and know what's going on/what's big news around the city and university your applying to.

Accepted

BC resident

cGPA 83-85? (3.78/4)

Prereqs ~88

MCAT 37R

ECs: barely anything. Research in a lab, one long-term position as a glorified receptionist at a cancer centre. Pretty much everything else was from highschool.

Interview: not great. One station I forgot what I was saying and stared into space for two minutes. Lots of awkward pauses overall but something must have been ok.

Will be rejecting for another offer so good luck to everyone else! Would love to be back in Vancouver but just can't see it happening yet.

Accepted off waitlist. (SMP) (third choice :s)

IP (B.Sc. hons, M.Sc)

3.72 cGPA

83.5 % aGPA

MCAT 30 R (9/10/11)

EC: Probs pretty high. Last year was 20/25.

Coaching, volunteering, officiating, varsity athlete. commmitees. Right to play.

Had 56 activities in my 2011 application.

So excited.

• 1 month later...

Accepted off the wait list! I will be accepting the offer to SMP in kelowna.

3rd time applying

Above average interview score last year (still rejected then though)

83-85% ave, biology degree

MCAT 28R (8PS/8VR/12BS)

Non academic was very high last year, and so probably was this year as well: first responder for survivors of sexual assault (3years), medical exam instructor (4 years), soccer (6years), saxophone (6 years), taekwondo (3years), started my own major fundraiser, lab assistant for human anatomy...

Hope this helps the next batch of students :)

• 10 months later...