Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

Regrets :(

2013 Stats

IP

OGPA: 86.58

AdGPA: 87.47

Pre-Req: 85.8

AQ: 41.57

NAQ: 29.2

TFR: 70.77

MCAT: 29/N (10/9/10)

Interview: Below Average

2012 Stats

IP

NAQ Score 30.06

TFR Score 71.63

MCAT: 29/N (10/9/10)

Interview: Below Average

I'd have to hunt down my 2011 stats for the AQ/NAQ, but I had an Average Interview score that year. Funny, cuz I felt like a blabbering idiot that cycle.

Accepted - VFMP, OOP

GPA: 3.98 (above 90% for UBC, which I believe is 50/50 AQ)

MCAT: 40S

EC's: lots of stuff long term, student council, research, scholarships and awards (posted previously under interview invite thread and for other schools)

Interview: thought it went really well, it was relaxed and conversational :)

UBC was an amazing school, this is going to be a tough decision to make. For all the waitlisters, I will most likely withdraw in favour of McGill :). Good luck!

Accepted IMP!!

IP, MSc

From last year's stats when I was waitlisted:

aGPA: 88%

AQ: 44.73

NAQ: 29.66

Interview: Average

MCAT: 31O

Can't stop smiling and can't wait to meet my IMP cohort!

Congrats to all who got offers! To those who did not: keep going and keep your head up! It's an uphill battle, but if you're heart is there you will pull through! And to quote the Barenaked Ladies: "Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight. Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight."

BS (Honors) IP 1st Time Applying: ACCEPTED VFMP!

GPA: ~88%

MCAT: 11/7/11 Q = 29Q (Yup, a 7 VR!)

ECs: Shadowing, research, international volunteering, TAing, etc. I had some extremely unique ECs (olympic medalist-like) so do things you love and that are unique. It definitely makes you stand out!

MMI: Felt amazing! Every station I walked in with a smile and just talked from the heart. Always emphasized in the situation and had reciprocating conversations. Prepared by reading anything health related and intertwined it into the conversation.

Overall, who knows how much the MCAT weights considering mine was well below average (VR-wise anyways). I really felt my interview put me over the top, and given that I got my first choice, it must have made up for a low MCAT.

Accepted - VFMP

OOP

AQ: ~93% (so 50/50?)

MCAT: 12PS/08VR/13BS WS: S

ECs: nserc, 3 research projects and conference presentations, developed experiments and instructional videos for chem department and TAed ochem for ~1year, rural clinical volunteering, 3-4 years of volunteering with developmentally challenged children, some academic awards, painting/selling artwork, and i have been managing a research lab for a little over a year.

Interview: I honestly felt terrible afterwards. I thought I'd messed up A LOT of stations. I was totally prepared for a rejection today. =S

My heart goes out to those of you on the waitlist; I was waitlisted at mac last year and it ruined my entire summer. I've declined my offer in favour of UofT, so hopefully someone will be very happy in the coming weeks =)

Accepted to IMP

1st time applicant

4th year BSc, IP

GPA: 88.9%

MCAT: 12/11/12Q

EC's: Very standard or less. Did co-op and various volunteer activites. Nothing really over a few hundred hours (most were less), so hopefully that gives hope to those who feel they have substandard NAQ.

Interview: Felt decent enough, and apparently it was indeed decent enough.

See you guys in the fall!

Accepted VFMP!

IP, 4th year bsc, 1st time applicant.

83.7% oGPA at time of app, weighting not applicable.

35Q mcat

Interview: No idea how it went, but must have gone pretty well i guess. Was enthusiastic and tried to smile despite nerves. Did a fair bit of interview practice with MMI groups, i guess that helped!

I did a bunch of short volunteer activities such as volunteer work at the Ronald McDonald house, and teaching science to kids through lets talk science, volunteered at the world junior curling championships, volunteered at an HIV/AIDS clinic in Uganda and a few other things, even one time things.

In high school I coached the swim team, and was a camp counsellor at outdoor school (volunteer) - did that also in university

Hospital volunteering in cardiac unit for ~2 years (ongoing)

Misc: open water diving, musician, travel, sports

Research: I did co-op, so had 2 research jobs in undergrad where I presented some posters and presentations (technically publications, but not in any fancy journals). Also did a directed studies, with a thesis. Since graduation I have woked as a lab tech for one year.

Employment: had jobs all through undergrad incl. work at starbucks, other cafes, and also the co-ops, and my current job as lab tech

Hope that helps! It all seemed fairly ordinary to me, though there was a lot of it. And my score last year was above average (not super dramatically, though).

I got fairly discouraged myself when I went through these forums, and saw that not that many people got in with my stats. So, I really was convinced I wouldn't get in this year, I was actually really hoping to just get waitlisted. I practiced a LOT for the interview, and I think that helped a lot. Whatever you do, do not give up because it CAN be done!!

I have waited a long time to post one of these :)

Accepted into VFMP

IP

95% average

38S

ECs: Diverse and long-term, but nothing spectacular.

Congrats to everyone accepted, and best of luck to all those still working on gaining acceptance.

Accepted to IMP (1st choice)

3rd year BSc student at UBC, in-province applicant

AC: 88%

MCAT: 36P

EC: extensive volunteering and work for non-profit, school, and community organizations with some hospital volunteering. No research background.

Interview: I thought I bombed probably 3 of the stations and that the others went mostly pretty well

References: I'm making a note of this because my academic reference was a 2nd year prof who said he didn't even remember me but was the 6th person I asked and he said he would do it. I was really worried this would be a red flag but thankfully it wasn't!

I am just starting to calm down, I've been so happy/excited for the last 1.5 hours I've been shaking!

Now... where am I going to live for 4 months haha.

Accepted, OOP

GPA: ~88.5

MCAT: 32S (12,10,10)

ECs: Pretty good I suppose.

Interview: Thought it went pretty bad to be honest.

Will be declining - just felt that UBC wasn't a good fit for me. Good luck to those on the wait list and congrats to all of those who got in!

Sorry a little late to the party --> ACCEPTED (IMP)

GPA: 87-90%?

MCAT: 12/11/12 (35Q)

EC's: paramedic x 5yrs in rural/remote, VFD, S & R, first aid instructor, tutor, RA, music, etc. etc.

Interview: honestly thought I messed it up really bad on two stations, so I am mind blown right now, especially after my u of c rejection.

Accepted to VFMP!!!

Time stamp: 2:12pm

3rd Year IP

GPA: 85.35% (by my calculation)

MCAT: 37R

ECs: I've volunteered with a youth organization for 6 years, volunteered at the hospital for 3 years, I've also done one summer of research and produced a publication.

VFMP is my first choice within UBC, but I'm super torn between UBC and Queen's.

Accepted VFMP timestamp 1:38pm

graduated June 2011, IP

have been working as research scientist after graduation

aGPA 89.02%

prereq GPA 87.3%

ECs: 4 years research, 2 pubs, 10+ conference abstracts, long term music (10+ yrs piano + guitar, composition, contests, charity), hospital volunteer, physician shadowing

2nd year applying...last year WL, this year accepted to UT and UBC! super thankful to God. Completely changed my approach to interviewing and apparently worked! I would love to help anyone who wants interview tips, as I know how heartbreaking it can be to be so close, with just a good interview away from realizing your dream. So please feel free to pm me for advice/resources, would be happy to help.

Congrats to all those accepted! and to those without good news today, do not give up! you are so close and WILL make it eventually.

Regret IP :(

AQ Score 42.5

NAQ Score 26.01 (down from 26.5 a year ago, I have no clue what happened here)

Interview Score Below Average

MCAT (7/12/13/Q)

Congratz to those who got in and to those who did not, keep trying until you do!!!

Accepted VFMP (1st choice)

MSc complete, IP

84% average (with worst year dropped)

MCAT 40R (14PS/13VR/13BS/R)

ECs - Things I am passionate about, spent a lot of time writing them up very carefully.

Interview - Very, very, super nervous for the first few stations, thought it was a pretty rocky start but got better as time went on. Definitely spent the last few months cringing over every answer but it turned out okay!

Accepted at UofA, UofC, UBC, and Queen's, so pretty torn right now. Big decisions to make.

Edit: Accepted UBC offer! So excited to meet everyone this August :)

Accepted, IMP!

IP

GPA: ~90%

MCAT: 32R

ECs: Diverse range of travel, leadership work, volunteering, research, athletics

Interview: Felt relaxed and had fun with it! Thought it went well overall

Tough decision since IMP was my preferred site, and I've heard only amazing things about living on the island. But I plan to withdraw in favour of another school :) Good luck everyone!

ACCEPTED! VFMP

Average: 85%

MCAT: 34Q (13PS/11VR/10BS)

EC's: Pretty standard- youth group leader, hospital physio volunteering, worked in residence, involved in clubs on campus, random interests such as running and hiking

Interview: Felt like it went horribly, but apparently not... I remember there being one station with a quote and I did not get it at ALL so I actually walked in and told the interviewer that I had no idea what it meant. But I guess the others went ok!

I can't believe I actually got in. I am so elated right now!! For those of you who didn't make it or are on the waitlist, I know that it is really tough, but keep trying. Remember that you are not defined by this decision!