Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

Waitlisted
OOP
AGPA: 90.15
MCAT: 510
AQ: N/A
NAQ: N/A
TFR: N/A
Interview: My first interview and only MMI, thought it went well actually, might be my lower MCAT that held me back. All I can say is be yourself and show them who you are (at least that worked in my Toronto interview it seems). 

Will update if there are any changes in the status of my application come end of May!

Best of luck to everyone else who applied and sorry to those that heard bad news today, but keep fighting.

Difficult to say how I feel. Frustrated, Angry, Depressed, feelings I have become accustomed to since 2013.
IP Regrets

AGPA: 81.48
MCAT: 31
AQ: 17.56

NAQ: 44.55
TFR: 62.11

Interview: Average. This was my third interview and fourth application. Previous two rejections were with Below Average interview. I did have mixed feelings about my performance, and knew that some blunders I did at misinterpreting questions, not reading them properly, and confusing the interviewers with some silly examples would cost me my chance. In my opinion, that was the difference for me between an Above Average and Average Interview score. Every rejection every single year stings, especially because my peers have now graduated and are doing residency. Need to rewrite the MCAT and possibly apply broadly this year.

Waitlisted

IP

Time Stamp: 2:33 PST
AGPA: 84.6
MCAT: 511
AQ: N/A
NAQ: N/A
TFR: N/A
Interview: 3rd application and first interview. Felt pretty crappy about the interview, but I can only assume it went well because my AQ is relatively low. 

Assuming the "how many people are on the waitlist" question is a mystery? Or "accepted off waitlist:not accepted off waitlist?" 

Accepted to VFMP, what an incredible honour!

OOP

MCAT: >520

GPA: >95%

Interview: Felt great (sorta iffy on one station) on the MMI component, and so-so on the essay. Had an incredible time in the beautiful city of Vancouver

I may or may not take this offer. Will have a very difficult time deciding on UBC (a new adventure, an amazing school and city) vs U of T (close to home, always been a dream). Any insight would help!

Accepted  VFMP:

Time stamp: May 12th, 3:39PM PST

IP

OGPA: 90.5

MCAT: 518

Interview: Felt good overall, thought I killed 2 and bombed 2

ECs: research, volunteering, school clubs... nothing special just long commitments

Incredibly privileged to have gotten into both UBC and UofT. I'm honestly on the fence so any input from current students would be much appreciated!

Accepted: Island Medical program (1st choice)

Time stamp: May 12th, 3:57pm

OGPA: ~92ish

MCAT: 519

Interview: Felt like I had good rapport but wasn't super confident in the content of my answers. 

ECs: research, quite a bit of volunteering, club executive, and a lot of fine arts extracurriculars and a few hobby sports.

Was rejected post-interview last year after applying for admission during my 3rd year of undergrad:

2015/2016 scores:

OGPA: 90

MCAT: Same (519)

AQ: ~32

NAQ: ~22 (this is where I feel like I most significantly improved this year by rewriting descriptions to be more detailed/quantified and by adding in new volunteering and research experiences).

Interview Score: Average

I actually got my rejection last year while I was at work in a research lab at my university. It was one of the very rare days my PI had shown up to check on project progress and I barely managed to hold back the tears until he had left and I was able to go to the bathroom and cry. 

Congrats to everyone accepted! I know this is a tough day for a lot of people so if anyone wants to talk, feel free to PM me about anything. It was people in my university on this forum who were so kind and supportive that kept me pushing through a lot of really hard times in undergrad so I hope I would be able to do the same for others. 

Accepted (IP): VFMP

Time stamp: May 12th, 3:40 pm

OGPA: 89.97

MCAT: 519 

Interview: Felt very good about 2-3 stations, 2 could have gone a bit better, the rest I thought were a good representation of myself.

ECs: Decent amount volunteering, multiple club executive positions/pres, little bit of research, hobbies, etc.

Rejected IP

Non-traditional

Time stamp: 1:56pm, May 12, 2017

AGPA: ~83% upward trend

AQ: 20.**

NAQ: 34.**

TFR: 54.**

MCAT: 510-512

ECs: lots of research, one co-auth pub, leadership roles, TA, group founder, high-level athletics, lots of music...

Interview: Average. I felt good. Was terribly sleep deprived but don't feel I bombed anything per se.

Second time applying, first interview... regrets post-interview stings like crazy!

Plan: full year of courses (again) but full time. Ugh, this process is so draining. Keep up with ECs... up my leadership role in one/two of them if time permits.

Possible application weaknesses: AQ, but I'm doing what I can; F/T courseload - remedying for the following cycle if this coming one won't count it...; MCAT?? Should I retake? Do I have time? What if I score worse? :/

I could improve my interview, obviously...

I just really feel frustrated that I now will be spending a year taking courses I don't need and spending money I'd rather not while not working just to fill this weakness in my app (never did a full year of F/T courses b/c I needed to be working).

Advice? TFR too low? MCAT garbage? Start thinking Caribbean and Australia? Ughhhhhhhhhhhhh

Rejected:

IP 4:58 EST

GPA: 93%

NAQ: 24.46 :( not sure why so low

MCAT: 522 (126 in CARS?)

Interview:

EC: Research, clubs dedicated to children's health (executive roles), shadowing experience, small conferences here and there

Feeling pretty bad rn :( - idk what to improve upon - hoping for Ottawa rn!

PM me if you have any advice for me...

I was honestly thinking of redoing my MCAT just because of CARS - i feel that a 129 in CARS opens up so many doors in Canada 

OGPA: 95ish?

MCAT: 525

Interview: Somehow, it went really well. I came away more confident from this interview than I did from any of my other interviews. I guess the stars aligned or something....

Now for the tough decision of whether to head out east, or stay in Vancouver...

It feels surreal right now. I've been lurking on these forums for a while now and I've been able to keep calm thanks to the community here. Hopefully these stats will help those who felt they've bombed their interview.

OGPA: ~90

MCAT: ~515
ECs: Diverse, some research, no pubs, nothing very long term.

Interview: Came out numb. Definitely felt like this was my worst interview out of all the interviews I did. I obsessed over my answers for months on end and never really had a time where I felt that I had a confident response. I hate to admit it, but it's true that post-interview feelings are never true. However for me it was almost impossible to not be critical of myself.

To those who received regrets or waitlist this year, don't give up. Having gotten this far into the application process can only mean that it's only a matter of time when you'll be accepted. To those who have been accepted - congratulations and I'm excited to meeting you all in the coming school year! :)

Honestly can't describe this feeling. A huge weight has been lifted and I am so excited to begin the next chapter of my life!!!

AGPA: 88%

MCAT: 34 (VR 9)
ECs: Hospital, local not for profits, sports, helping with grandparents, coaching, mentorship, on campus leadership positions 

Interview: I honestly felt really good about it. There were 3-4 stations that went really well and I felt like the rest were all solid as well. I felt like the prep with other undergrads was really helpful. I also practiced with some resident physicians and got advice from some people that are currently in UBC med. 

If you didn't get an invite this year, I know it is a huge let down. This was my third application and first interview. Stick with the process! If you can, improve your grades and take classes that are both beneficial for you and will be GPA boosters. Evaluate your NAQ. See which categories are weak and start new volunteer projects to strengthen those spots. It may feel like cookie cutter experiences, but in the long term, I truly believe that these experiences help develop skills that are crucial for medicine. If anyone has any questions or needs any advice, please don't hesitate to send me a message. 

Rejected IP

AQ: 25+

NAQ: ~35

MCAT: below 510 and CARS barely met cut-off

Interview: below average

Thought the interview went fine so I'm not sure what happened... I'm completely devastated :(

Is it only an interview problem? Say if I do above average for my interview next year, will my MCAT prevent me from getting in?

Any advice is helpful

Congrats to those that made it though!

Ecstatic right now but also feeling kind of numb amidst all the excitement. For some background, right after the interview, I felt really good about it. I thought it went well and that I gave it a solid shot, especially felt good about the acting station (I used to be heavily involved in drama in high school lol). Felt pretty good for the months following, however, this last week I've been feeling very crummy and convinced myself that I was going to get a rejection. The wait was agonizing, especially because it was my first time applying, I didn't apply to any other schools, and I was intimidated by the other great applicants I knew. At this point, I am just so happy to be granted an acceptance and would be so happy to help anyone else with any questions they have because this process is extremely long and terrifying.

Stats: Accepted (IP): VFMP

OGPA: ~89

MCAT: ~516 (128 CARS)
ECs: Diverse, long-term weekly commitments such as volunteering at a resource group, founding a club and annual competition, worked 9 jobs in the past 5 years including TA and retail, hospital volunteering etc., rec volleyball throughout my undergrad. No research at the time I applied. 

Interview: Felt good about it! 

Also a long time lurker. All the other non-traditional and lower GPA acceptances on this forum from previous years really helped give me confidence throughout the process, and so I wanted to share my experience in case others find it similarly encouraging.

OGPA: 81.6

AGPA: ~83

MCAT: 514 (126/129/129/130)

BA and MSc.

Employment: Three years of work experience in my field. Some other odd jobs and consulting work. Paid co-op and research jobs during undergrad and TA jobs during MSc, as well as some publications and posters.

Non-Academic Experiences: Nothing really health related. Non-profit organization volunteer and board member for several years, with increasing responsibility over time. Several 1-3 year volunteer commitments with a couple education programs over the last 6 years. I listed a tonne of hobbies (~7 things) and some travel.

Interview: I felt like it went well, but not amazing. A couple felt great, most were good, and a couple felt like they were terrible.

This was my first time applying, but it took me a really long time to get here. Because I didn't have a traditional background, I didn't have any of the science prerequisites (back when UBC required them), and I spent three years slowly working through them while working full-time.  Early on I felt very stressed and incredibly frustrated about how long it was going to take me to get to a point where I could even apply. But over time I've come to really see the benefit of those intervening years. They gave me time to pursue hobbies and meaningful volunteer work that I never had time for when I was a full-time student, as well as a real job that I really love. I know not everyone feels this way after putting in repeated years of time and effort, especially after a rejection. But in the end, I am actually pretty happy that it took me as long as it did to get here.

Rejected IP

Non-traditional

Time stamp: 1:56pm, May 12, 2017

AGPA: ~83% upward trend

AQ: 20.**

NAQ: 34.**

TFR: 54.**

MCAT: 510-512

ECs: lots of research, one co-auth pub, leadership roles, TA, group founder, high-level athletics, lots of music...

Interview: Average. I felt good. Was terribly sleep deprived but don't feel I bombed anything per se.

Second time applying, first interview... regrets post-interview stings like crazy!

Plan: full year of courses (again) but full time. Ugh, this process is so draining. Keep up with ECs... up my leadership role in one/two of them if time permits.

Possible application weaknesses: AQ, but I'm doing what I can; F/T courseload - remedying for the following cycle if this coming one won't count it...; MCAT?? Should I retake? Do I have time? What if I score worse? :/

I could improve my interview, obviously...

I just really feel frustrated that I now will be spending a year taking courses I don't need and spending money I'd rather not while not working just to fill this weakness in my app (never did a full year of F/T courses b/c I needed to be working).

Advice? TFR too low? MCAT garbage? Start thinking Caribbean and Australia? Ughhhhhhhhhhhhh

My two cents on the part-time terms . . . I had two full-time terms in the first two years of my degree, but my averages were not great (low 70s). After that I started working part-time and never did more than 4 courses in a term, and a couple semesters only 3, but I was able to pull my average way up. My sense is that finding success with an overall busy workload (e.g. taking courses or doing other things plus working) could likely be equivalent to being successful while in a full-time coarse load. I mean, it's all so opaque there's no way to know for sure. But if you really don't want to go back to school full time, then maybe it's worth considering if your time might be just as well spent working full time while also managing to maintain your other meaningful commitments?

Accepted!!!

Stats: Accepted (IP): IMP (first pick)

Time stamp: May 12th, 3:57pm

OGPA: somewhere between 89 and 90

MCAT: ~512 (126 CARS)

This was my first time applying, but it took 3 attempts at the MCAT before I was eligible (god damn CARS). I applied to 4 Ontario schools, but didn't land a single interview, yet was accepted to UBC. I guess they see far more to people than just their scores on paper.

I'd say I was about as atypical of a candidate as they come. I competed at the provincial level of sport throughout high school, then was a varsity athlete at uni. For work experience, I was a lifeguard in high school, then spent 5 summers with wildfire management firefighting. I was close to obtaining my faller certification, I've been massively involved in woodworking all my life, and I'm a self taught mechanic and welder. I race motorcycles, I spend about 3 hours a day exercising, I've spent nearly 1000 hours working with the homeless population (half volunteer, half paid), and I included a few other odd hobbies or skills.

I've honestly never started a volunteer position/job/or anything similar with the intention of it beefing up my med application. I just do what I enjoy, and in return, it's made me a more genuine and mature person.

If you didn't get in, don't give up. After failing to meet the CARS minimum twice, I truly wanted to give up, but don't! Persevere!!!!

Long time lurker... this thread kept me sane after every rejection so I thought I'd give back.

Accepted (IP): IMP (2nd Choice)

Time stamp: May 12th, 4:13 pm PST

OGPA: ~83

AGPA: ~86

AQ: ~22 (last year)

NAQ: ~25 (last year)

MCAT: 31 (10/10/11)

5th Year UG (Pharmacy)

Non-Academic Experiences: Typical community + school leadership, non-profits, multiple 5+ year commitments, long term jobs in health care, sports, music

Interview: First time interviewing at UBC med, interviewed in same format for pharmacy before.  Felt very ready going in, and left feeling like it was not a good reflection of how I prepared. Had some time to think about it over 3 months, and felt worse and worse about it as I picked apart my own answers.  Obviously didn't do too poorly because I was accepted, but also probably why I only got 2nd choice geographic preference (still stoked!).

Was pretty discouraged from 2 pre-interview rejections.  The most disheartening part was probably all the work I put towards improving my application in my 2nd attempt, just to be rejected pre-interview with much lower scores than my first year.  I honestly think that apart from persistent hard work, there's a significant luck and subjective component (especially pre-interview NAQ) that you are at the mercy of.  So for all those who had regrets pre-interview or post-interview, keep going for it if its what you really want.  Perseverance is the key...if you put in the work, its not a matter of if but a matter of when - do what you love in the meantime and don't let that passion slip away.  Also anyone who wants to talk about pharmacy feel free to PM me.

Another lurker here...this forum has helped me so much, so I wanna throw in my info for whatever it's worth

Accepted (IP): IMP (1st Choice)

Time stamp: May 12th, 3:57 pm PST

GPA: >90%

MCAT: 517 (128 CARS)

4th UG (graduating this yr, 1st application cycle)

Non-Academic Experiences: Iong-term involvements (longest is ~4 yrs) in the community. Doesn't matter what it is, find something you care deeply about and stick to it early (e.g. youth work, ppl living in poverty, patient experience, ppl with disabilities). When you care about something, you will show up every week to that volunteer role despite how tedious school is. When I wrote my ECs, I made sure to mention hrs/week for each activity. I did not create my own clubs, nor win any overly impressive scholarships. I have little to no sports, 0 involvement at school, but I do have a very long-term hobby (which I think is important b/c you wanna be well-rounded = self-care). With that being said, I think my ECs are very typical and only around average.

Interview: practice early, even before you receive your interview invite. It's good to practice with some friends to start with, but having >3ppl in a MMI grp is counter-productive in my opinion. I practiced with a group once every week for a month, then just started doing daily practice with my parents, which was more helpful b/c parents will be brutally honest with you. Don't over-practice though = burn-out+robotic. some UBC MMI questions were really weird though...they would force you to be yourself.

Like some members above, I STRUGGLED with CARS.

Unfortunately, I believe med school file/MMI judges can still be somewhat subjective (but I know they try very hard to not be). I received an OOP offer at UOC partially due to TOP10 write-ups, but my ECs only got a 4 (8 was needed for interview invites) at UOA. A matter of luck? so please don't judge yourself using file review scores.

A lot of you have been so tenacious in this pursuit, so please don't give up now.