Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

Result:    Regrets After Interview

Geography: In province

Early or Regular Deadline: Regular
Timestamp: 7:03 am PST
AGPA: 86%

NAQ score: 50th -75th Percentile

EC's - Finishing my M.Sc., declared manuscripts in prep but no publication (at June 1st, 2019 cutoff), many oral and poster presentations. University Student Research Club president and advisor, intramural team captain, long term care center volunteer, clinical/student assistant (shadowing), and some other miscellaneous things. 

MCAT: 508
Interview: Below Average Interview (came out knowing that one station I was off topic, the other ones were pretty much average, and only one or two stations I think I did well).

Year: Graduating MSc.

Does anyone have any advice for me? Should I rewrite the MCAT? I'm thinking about reapplying but I'm interviewed this year just passing the IP cutoff. Also, if you have great advice on how to write up the NAQ descriptions, maybe we can DM? 

•  

2 hours ago, FutureSir said:

Result:    Regrets After Interview

Timestamp: 7:04 am PST
AGPA: ~84.7 %

NAQ score: 75th -100th Percentile

EC's - I feel like this was the strength of my application. I have a variety of strong service, leadership, hospital experience, awards, research with over 10 publications, and employment positions, lots of unique experiences. Almost all of my experiences were long-term commitments. 

MCAT: 501 
Interview: Above Average Interview

Year: BSc. with Honors 2018

Does anyone have any advice for me? It looks like the MCAT was a red flag for my application and I'm not sure what help going back to school to boost my GPA would been. I've seen one or two similar stories of rejection in the past on the forum. Feeling pretty bummed but hopeful if I can retake the MCAT and do well.

Yes, the MCAT is almost certainly the issue. That GPA is fine for an IP applicant, and you’re above average on NAQ and interview. 

Result:   Accepted VFMP

Geography: IP

Timestamp: 10:55 AM
AGPA: 89%

EC's - quite diverse and varied. founder of a club, lots of research experiences (2nd author pub), undergrad TA, volunteering with vulnerable populations. Spent a lot of time writing my ECs and had many drafts. Included travel experiences, and hobbies.
MCAT: 512 (126 CARS)
Interview: I felt awful about 2 stations (I seemed to get off track in one of them, and was super nervous for my first one). I felt good about the rest. Working at the Crisis Line really helped, I'd highly recommend volunteering (Esp for acting stations).

ResultAccepted VFMP (waitlist)

Geography: OOP

Timestamp: 7:58am (BC time)
AGPA: ~91%

ECs: see previous posts. 
MCAT: 516 
Interview: felt like I really fumbled through a couple of stations and got cut off at a few before I had a chance to say what I wanted to say. The rest may have been average.

Year: Masters 

ResultRegrets After Interview

Early or Regular Deadline: Early
Timestamp: 7:04 AM PST
AGPA: 86.78

ECs: 75th-100th percentile. Various roles within university clubs, student leadership, hospital volunteering, teaching science to elementary school students, working with refugee children, graphic/web design, personal experiences with mental health, helping elderly family member, hobbies including painting, writing, continuing education (attending rounds and lectures, etc), fitness theory instructor, ~1 year of research experience (poster presented at conference in October, so not included in my app).

MCAT: 509 (125/127/128/129)

Interview: Above Average

Year: BSc 2016, BSN 2019

Pre-interview result was in the middle of BC and OOP cutoffs.

Result:   Accepted VFMP!!! ☺️

Geography: OOP

Timestamp: 1:55pm EST
OGPA: ~90%

NAQ score: doesn't say

EC's - Diverse and longterm.... part-time employment, volunteering, competitive sports, campus involvement, hobbies, etc. Many in leadership/management roles. PM for more details if curious. 

MCAT: 516 (129 CARS) *had to write twice
Interview: doesn't say

Year: 4th year UG

Will be accepting ☺️

I am so excited and grateful to finally be able to post...

Result: Accepted VFMP 

Early or Regular Deadline:  Regular
Timestamp: 10:55 AM (PST)
cGPA:  94%

EC's: Lots of research (honour's thesis, co-op) but no pubs, founder of one campus club and executive member of another, hospital volunteering (150+ hrs), high level piano (Grade 10 RCM) playing and teaching, held several jobs through university, several awards (academic, research, co-op).  I was also recovering from a serious injury in my second year, and included this.  I spent a very long time writing and re-writing my entries until I felt they reflected my experiences well. 

MCAT: 518 (131/128/131/128)

Interview: I left feeling pretty good about most of the stations, but quickly started to over-analyze my answers during the wait.  This was my first interview and it was a really positive experience! 

Year:  Third year BSc 

Result:  Accepted NMP

Timestamp: 9:51am
AGPA: ~88%

EC's - quite diverse and with many different populations- Spent a lot of time writing my ECs and definitely strongest part of application  
MCAT: 503 
Interview: I felt ok, did lots of practice. Messed up one station for sure 

Anyone can do it!!!! Even with a low MCAT score 

Result: Accepted NMP

Timestamp: 9:51AM

AQ score: 18.xx (Waitlisted last year)

NAQ score: 38.x (Waitlisted last year)

EC's: Varied, long-term. Hobbies, volunteer work, employment. Non-trad applicant. PM for more details if interested

MCAT: <510

Interview: Felt great coming out. Got Average last year and was waitlisted. Definitely started doubting myself the last few days leading up to results, and was sure I would get waitlisted again this year. 

I cannot believe it. This has been a very long journey for me. This was my 3rd application and 3rd interview. I'm thinking of sharing my non-trad story at a later time. To those who did not receive the news you were hoping for: keep at it, and don't ever give up if it's what you really want. 

Result: Accepted VFMP!

Geography: OOP

Timestamp: 1:55 EST

AGPA: ~90%

MCAT: 516

Interview: Felt pretty good about it. Definitely felt like I bombed one or two stations, but overall enjoyed the interview experience

Trying to decide between UBC and Queen's! Congrats to everyone accepted :) 

Result: Accepted IMP (First choice!)

Timestamp: 10:26 AM (PST)
AGPA: ~90%

EC's: Varsity and recreational sports (rowing, triathlon, running), child development research (4+ years, 5 pubs, a few conferences), long-term employment in aquatics (8+ years), hospital volunteering (5+ years), peer mentorship, fitness instructor. I also included some challenges/personal experiences that were integral in my journey.
MCAT: 518 (128/130/129/131)
Interview: I honestly had a lot of fun. I felt pretty good about most of it less the acting stations. 

Year:  Graduated MSc 2018

Result: Accepted VFMP (1st choice)

Timestamp: 10:55am PST

cGPA: 88.2%

ECs: varied with long term commitments, hobbies. Have 1.5 years of standard research experience. Message me for more detail!

MCAT: 521 (CARS: 128)

Interview: Felt I absolutely bombed the first station and the writing station (ran out of time), but vibed well with 3/4 interviewers and the rest were okay. I felt really good about all the acting stations.

Year: Just graduated 4th year Bsc

Woohooo I'm suuuper excited to finally post this after lurking for a while :)

Geography: In-Province

GPA:  94.3%

ECs: I think my main highlights are volunteering for a peer support service on campus (about 1 year, 120 hours), placing 2nd at a national piano competition and top 7 internationally (I think this amounted to 10,000+ hours in piano), starting a tutoring business at age 9 (I've taught piano, piano theory, academic subjects, public speaking), and volunteering for a non-profit to plan conferences to engage students in STEM (around 230 hours).

I was concerned about ECs because a ton of them were from high school, and most were only about a year long (several of them under 100 hours, a handful between 100 and 200 hours). I know what they say about having long-term commitments, and I was scared because I didn't have many of those (I stopped quite a number of my commitments after high school).

MCAT: 518 (132/128/128/130)

Interview: I felt good right after the interview and pretty bad leading up to today. Overall, I'd say I did quite well on half of the stations, so-so on the other half, and quite poorly on my last station. My writing station was so-so because I didn't quite get to finish it.

Year:  Third year BSc (CAPS)

Aghhh I'm so excited for this part of my journey to be over! UBC was the only school I applied to so it was definitely nerve-wracking. It feels amazing to only have to apply for 1 cycle too. But good luck to all of the other applicants and keep working at it!! It's not a matter of if, but when :)

2 hours ago, dr_beethoven said:

I am so excited and grateful to finally be able to post...

Result: Accepted VFMP 

cGPA:  94%

EC's: Lots of research (honour's thesis, co-op) but no pubs, founder of one campus club and executive member of another, hospital volunteering (150+ hrs), high level piano (Grade 10 RCM) playing and teaching, held several jobs through university, several awards (academic, research, co-op).  I was also recovering from a serious injury in my second year, and included this.  I spent a very long time writing and re-writing my entries until I felt they reflected my experiences well. 

MCAT: 518 (131/128/131/128)

Interview: I left feeling pretty good about most of the stations, but quickly started to over-analyze my answers during the wait.  This was my first interview and it was a really positive experience! 

Year:  Third year BSc 

Heyyyy are you my twin??? We both play piano, are in 3rd year, have the same GPA and MCAT total, and are at VFMP!! ;) 

Result:   Accepted SMP (first choice!)

Timestamp: 10:10 AM
GPA: 95%

EC's - pretty vanilla. A lot were hobbies and unconventional things like caring for family members with illnesses. Didn't have any crazy humanitarian work with 10,000 hours or anything.
MCAT: 514 (126 CARS)
Interview: Felt decent about it! Over-analyzed it for months afterwards though. Interviewed last year and was rejected. The difference from last year to this year is that I was so much more calm having been through the process before. Best advice is to relax and have fun with it. Don't feel like you need to answer with what you think they want to hear. Be yourself and let your personality shine.

Also - I was a rural applicant. 

4th year BSc. Honours

Also accepted to U of T and waitlisted at Ottawa but I am taking UBC :)

GPA:  AGPA: 92%

EC's: Pretty average compared to the rest of the applicant pool. Decent amount of volunteering and work. Most commitments longer than ~2 years. 

MCAT: 519 

Interview: I thought I did so-so on the interview. Was beginning to doubt my answers more and more over the past few months.

Year:  5th year. Graduated this year.

Result:   Accepted SMP (first choice ) 

Timestamp: 10:11am PST 
AGPA: 83-85??% 3.75-3.85 gpa

EC's - Content writer for non for profit for 2 .5 years, varsity athlete 3 years, hospital volunteer 3 years, research 1 year, cancer foundation volunteer 5 months, working for canadian mental health association  etc. And rural! If you have more questions ask me !
MCAT: 507 (128 CARS)
Interview: I always felt as though the interview would be my strong suit because I am good with people and confident and I think that was true. I felt as though it went well although one station I misunderstood the question overall felt great. 

I am OVER THE MOON. 2nd time applicant. Last year I applied and had a really low score and didn't interview and this year all I did different was rewrite my application so I think it matters lots how you write stuff. I will make a big post about that later. If you have any questions feel free to ask! 

Result:   Accepted VFMP!!!!! It was my first choice :) 

Timestamp: 10:55 AM
AGPA: 84%

EC's - Diverse with heavy emphasis on research. International sport and long term commitment to that sport through teaching and competition. Undergraduate research with 2 poster/podium presentations and a second author publication. Research based masters that resulted in 1 1st author publication and approx 12 poster/podium presentation. TA position for 1 year. Research tech position at UBC for 2 years that resulted in 2 publications and posters. Reconcilliation work with First Nations communities. I worked hardest on writing these to showcase what I learnt and contributed to each.
MCAT: 517
Interview: I felt pretty unsure about 1 station, but great about the others. I was unfortunately recovering from an injury that day, and not feeling my best, but interview day went really really well!

I feel so so so lucky to have been accepted, and cannot wait to meet my classmates (from 6ft apart, of course!)

Result: Accepted - VFMP 

Timestamp: 10:57 AM (PST)
aGPA:  ~89%

EC's: Lots of research - volunteered in lab, did a research summer studentship, Honours thesis, worked as research assistant for 4 years (multiple presentations). President of club, lots of competitive/recreational basketball, 150+ hours volunteer at seniors home, etc.

MCAT: 514 (125 CARS) had to write it multiple times to improve on CARS

Interview: It was in no way perfect. Completely faltered on 2 stations, 1 where I mis-read the type of station it was and walked in blank. Had 4 or 5 stations where I thought I was able to fully talk about my experiences in life and relate them to the question.  The other 4 or so were probably around an average level. Not sure about writing station, though I was writing non-stop the entire time.

Year:  B.Sc. Hons 2016

I've been a long-time lurker on these forums and have been previously rejected 3 times post-interview with a below average interview. I can finally say that all of these attempts have finally paid off! 4th times the charm.

Result:  Accepted VFMP (1st choice)

Timestamp: 10:57 am PST, 13 MAY 2020
GPA: 88.8% (not adjusted)

EC's - mostly clinical research experiences in different hospitals/departments, all fairly long-term (3 were >1 year, 2 work-learns). Odd jobs (retail) and some volunteering. Not very strong (last year, I didn't get an interview and NAQ was 23.xx). One publication (2nd author).

MCAT: 520 (130/129/131/130)

Interview: Felt okay. Acting stations were a mess, didn't think I spoke enough. Connected very well with 2 interviewers. Bombed one terribly. Others were meh, could have taken a more central stand on issues. 

Year: BSc. 2019

• Result:    Regrets After Interview
  • Geography: OOP
  • Early or Regular Deadline: Regular
  • Timestamp: 10:04 EST
  • AGPA: 87.15% (AQ last year was 25.90)
  • NAQ score: 75th-100th percentile (I used inspect element and my NAQ is ~40.10)
  • ECs: Definitely my pride and joy. I may update this later once the pain of rejection wears off.
  • MCAT: 503 (126 CARS) - already scheduled to rewrite & know I can improve
  • Interview: Average Interview
  • Year: Graduated Honours Bsc

Second application cycle and first ever/only interview. I'm not giving up.