Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

While i admit that this can be interpreted as ostentatious, as an applicant with medium average competitive marks/mcat, I found reading these posts reassuring when I was applying. I like to think that I would post on this regardless of whether I was accepted, but had this not worked out I might have thought differently. that being said...

BA in poli sci. I grad'ed this year, but took 5 years to do it, with a semester off to freak out with CWY (which I cannot promote enough!).

OMSAS GPA: 3.78/4

MCAT 290 8P 10V 11B

ECs: Worked part-time throughout school, and had a bit of clinical/lab/resume padding volunteering, but mostly volunteered where i had fun, which started at the food bank and then lead to hiv advocacy. Took a semestre off to do CWY, and spent a summer abroad in india. Other summers were spent in crappy jobs, having fun, doing some endurance races.

Applied to: nosm, u of t, u of O, mac, ubc

No love pre-int. from anywhere save ubc

accepted at ubc in vancouver.

Hey

I found these stats helpful as well.

IP/first-time applying/BSc from UBC (just graduated)

82.5/83/83 pre-req/60/overall

36R MCAT

Lots of community volunteer work (summer camps, weekend retreats, exec committees), travelled to a kenya to raise HIV/AIDS awareness in schools, couple of research projects, duke of edinburgh award

Applied to UBC, UofManitoba, Queens, UofT

Interviewed at UBC, Manitoba

Accepted VFMP, Manitoba still unknown

I am typing this up to help future applicants to UBC Medicine, especially those with a low VR score. I still remember the anguish of receiving a lower than desirable VR score and having to worry about it all the time because it could be a potential red flag at UBC. But here is a successful anecdote.

I have been accepted to the VFMP on May 15, 2008.

I was "good"-waitlisted by Ottawa. I will be attending UBC in the fall.

I'm a BC resident (IP). First time applicant.

Co-op + Fourth year applicant at UBC.

GPA: 90% overall (1st year 86.6%, 2nd year 92.6%, 3rd year 90.5%)

MCAT: PS 13 VR 7 (yea I know), BS 14 WS O

*My VR score is probably the highlight of the usefulness of my profile. I moved to Canada when I was 14, so English is my second language. My first year english marks at UBC are both 70% (B-). Publication-wise I only have one research poster. The advice I can give to those with a VR score of 7 or even maybe 6 (Kuantum has been accepted with a 6) is that you need to spend time polishing your essay and descriptions of your activities. In addition, I felt pretty confident that I have demonstrated effective communication skills during almost all (except perhaps for the first station didn't do so well) of the MMI stations.

Hope this helps and best of luck to all future applicants!!!

Accepted in province at UBC to VFMP.

(Waitlisted at Queens)

I want to share my stats because they are pretty mediocre (academically) and I think its encouraging to those of you who didn't make it this time.

BSc in Honours Biophysics, MSc in Pathology

Overall gpa ~78%, Last 60 ~81%

MCAT: 32R

EC: (this is the part I'm pretty proud of)

This is my third application and the first time I recieved an interview from UBC.

I really struggled in my undergrad degree. Actually I nearly failed some three or four courses. But kept at it and did alot of things to improve myself that really I'm proud of. It's been an amazing learning process all around and I'm a better person for having had to work so hard to finally get in.

There has been some debate about this so I'll just put my two cents in now... I've been so glad that I did a MSc degree. It was such a great experience least of all for what it did to my med application.... I contributed to cancer research in a small but definite way and I'll always have this to look back to.

I've heard from so many that one of the best part of med school is the fantastic people you meet so I'm really looking forward to getting to know everyone in the fall.

Hi everyone!

For those of you having doubts about the academic aspects of your application, I hope that my stats will encourage you to try again!

Accepted into VFMP on May 15, 2008 (BC resident/first time applicant).

GPA: 69/84/79 pre-req/60/overall (didn't really care in my first degree with TWO "F"s) :eek:

MCAT: 38P (14BS/13PS/11VS) (although the MCAT is apparently not heavily weighted at UBC?) :confused:

Non-academics were my strong point.

Applied to UBC and UofT (nada) in Canada but accepted to schools in Ireland and Australia.

I hope this helps! I just wanted to show everyone that initial bad grades should not discourage you from pursuing your dreams in med!

Good luck everyone... :)

Hey,

So for all those future applicants, here are my stats to hopefully give you hope if you've scored low on verbal:

MCAT: 6 VR, 11 PS, 10 BS, R writing

Overall average: ~84-85

Last 60 credit: ~88

Pre-req average: ~86

Lots of volunteer work and work in hospitals especially.

Its my first time applying and I was accepted to VFMP

I am an IP applicant. First time applying to UBC.

Waitlisted....hopefully there are not too many people on the waitlist.

MCAT 29 Q

AQ: ~80% overall last 2 years a bit higher

Current graduate student just finishing my MSc

Decent amount of volunteer at a crisis line and brain injury rehabilitation

i don't think i've seen anyone post stats on this forum that had an overall lower than mine

pre-req: 68

overall: 76

last 60: 84

mcat: 12/10/13/N

ECs: if there are people out there who want to know what sort of things i was involved in to compensate for my incredibly sub-par grades, ask me

oh, and this is my second time applying and i got into VFMP (first choice, yay!)

Accepted IMP and will be attending UBC in the fall.

GPA ~86% Prereq ~86% Last 2 yrs ~87%

Last year my AQ was 25.00 with very similar stats

MCAT 27O

ECs: 2 years cardiac rehab, shadowing different health professionals, working in children's centres, varsity athlete

This was my third time applying. First two times rejected post interview.

I've applied to way too many schools to list since I decided I wanted to go to med school. I was accepted to an Australian medical school last year and declined the offer. UBC was my only application this cycle.

In province student, first time application

GPA: 4.0/4.33

MCAT: 33R

Extracurriculars: Led exercise program at psychiatric hospital, NSERC research, inner city related work, wrote various columns/features in school newspaper, worked on harm reduction research project for Center for excellence in HIV, traveled, peer counselling.

• 3 weeks later...

here is my stats

overall: 84-85%

last 60: 86

MCAT 38O- 14ps, 10vb, 14bs

EC:

Pro snowboarder (2 years ago) singed a contract with a chinese company, hospital volunteer with few awards, crisis line volunteer, club execs, coaching basketball, little league baseball captain (years ago), NLS, scuba diver, sailing team, etc

one first author publication 4 years ago in virology and second/third author for 2 other papers published 3 years ago.

Teaching in high school now and desperately waiting for the result.

3rd time apply, waitlisted for 2 consecutive years

________

SIDE EFFECTS FROM WELLBUTRIN

I did my undergrad at UofC and am defending my MSc this week.

Undergrad Avg: a bit below 80% (last 2 years approx 86%)

MCAT: 9 VR, 9PS, 11BS; 29Q

Non academic qualities: lots of involvement in sports, Residence Advisor, crisis line volunteer, volunteer at brain injury rehabilitation center etc.

I applied to UBC and UofC: no interview at U of C and waitlisted at UBC.

Accepted into IMP on June 13th (lucky friday the 13th for me)

first time applying to UBC.

Being able to read similar stats of accepted applicants on this thread provided me with a lot of encouragement and hope especially since I didn't have a good academic standing (low average, failed courses). I am IP and was accepted into VFMP.

My stats are:

1st application (during my 4th yr)

Overall GPA: 75 Last 60: 80 pre-req: 71

MCAT: 26P 9/7/10 (PS/VR/BS)

AQ: 17 NAQ: 18.36 Overall score: 35.36 - Rejected Pre-interview

2nd application (after completing degree):

Overall: 79 last 60: 88 pre-req: 71

MCAT: 32N 10/10/12

Non-academics were my strong point. Although I didn't have much hospital exposure such as volunteering in wards, etc., I was very much involved with other community organizations and used my essay to tie in my motivations for community involvement, etc. I think my essay and NAQ list complemented each other well and were the strong point of my applications.

Having low grades is def. a hurdle but certainly can be overcome. I know how stressful it can be to apply with grades that are not on par with other applicants but I think instead of having regrets about low AQ, concentrate on your NAQ and finding out what kind of person you are. Have a lot of people read your EC's and essay and see what they think. I'd be more than happy to help since I recieved a lot of help from many people on this forum as well.

Goodluck everyone.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Non-science bachelor's degree.

Overall: A

Last 60: A

Prereq: A+

MCAT: 35S (scored 10 and above in all sections)

NAQ: Long-term (4 or more years) volunteer and employment with various support and health organizations and had promotions in all these.

Received news on results day: accepted to preferred site at UBC - the only med school I applied to - on my first try.

• 2 months later...

Well I am out already. It must be a new record. I calculated my average fifty different ways and was sure I was over 70, but apparently I was wrong.

In the letter I was directed to their website where they say, due to stats, people with averages below 75 rarely get an interview so they won't even review the file.

I have been banking on my NAQ stuff to get me in, but if they won't even look... According to my calculations I need 90+ on my next ten courses to bring up my overall average to 75!!! (I failed two courses two winters ago, bioc300 - which I took concurrently with biol190 - and had no other base for except a 85% from college in second year biochem - the other was first year chemistry I was taking by correspondence. The final for chem was within two days for midterm for biochem and my 8mo. daughter had been very sick - and stuff at home....) so, one bad week and three years into this and I am finished!

Needless to say, I am feeling quite distraught because like you all I really want to be a physician. I even took my application to the nursing school and they are telling me there are no spots until 2010.

Well I am out already. It must be a new record. I calculated my average fifty different ways and was sure I was over 70, but apparently I was wrong.

In the letter I was directed to their website where they say, due to stats, people with averages below 75 rarely get an interview so they won't even review the file.

I have been banking on my NAQ stuff to get me in, but if they won't even look... According to my calculations I need 90+ on my next ten courses to bring up my overall average to 75!!! (I failed two courses two winters ago, bioc300 - which I took concurrently with biol190 - and had no other base for except a 85% from college in second year biochem - the other was first year chemistry I was taking by correspondence. The final for chem was within two days for midterm for biochem and my 8mo. daughter had been very sick - and stuff at home....) so, one bad week and three years into this and I am finished!

Needless to say, I am feeling quite distraught because like you all I really want to be a physician. I even took my application to the nursing school and they are telling me there are no spots until 2010.

I think it is total garbage that they do not publish their marking scheme for percentages. That happened to a friend last year who was trying to come back from a poor first degree. She had calculated her percentage the best she could and counted 72% overall. She called to make sure and they told her "too bad we can't tell you". Why don't they want students to know whether they are even eligible to apply? Well turns out they gave her a nice 69% and a very condescending letter that said "if you had read the website you would have known that the minimum requirement was 70%." She DID read the website and she called! She would not have wasted the time, energy, money and stress if she knew she was under 70%. Why keep that scale from the students?

• 2 months later...

Good luck to those of you who got interviews this round! I just thought I'd post my stats to help out those of you who are thinking of applying or who are in the painstaking process of applying this year. These posts were helpful to me so hopefully my post can be of help to you.

This was my second time applying (First try as a third year: UBC Waitlist).

I successfully applied in 2008 cycle as 4th year in-province.

Overall OMSAS GPA:3.69

MCAT: 36 R (13 BS; 13 PS; 10 VR)

Prerequisite Average: 86%

Overall Average: 82%

Interviewed: UBC, Queen's, University of Western Ontario (UWO), U of T, University of Washington in St. Louis

Accepted: UBC, UWO

Waitlisted: Queen's, U of T, University of Washington in St. Louis

Activities: I was super involved both on-campus and off-campus in the local community throughout undergrad (I remember calculating that I averaged about 25 hrs of additional non-academic related commitments a week throughout the four years -- on top of a full load of classes/labs). In summers I worked non-medicine-related jobs that helped to pay for school.

==> Most useful piece of advice re: "activities": follow your interests! Also don't feel pressured to pay for international volunteer activities that may be out of your reach financially -- there are so many opportunities to get involved and to make a positive difference locally.

Good luck with the interviews and the application process...and don't forget to smile on interview day!

-a UBC MD 2012