Premed 101 Forums

Prescribing Privliges

Guest shaynadee

Guest shaynadee

I am not too sure where to post this message but ill post it here since you guys are talking about anesthesia :)

In the states, to practice you need a license and a DEA # for prescribing drugs...

In canada, as a resident and full attending, do you also have to get a license to prescribe prescription drugs? or as long as your licensed by the provicial college you dont need another presription license?

What about anesthesiologists? surely with the access to narcotics they need to apply for a special license to presribe them?

Guest medicator007

I cannot speak for provinces other than Quebec, but here once you are licensed with the College you can prescribe ANYTHING you want as far as I am aware. With the only special license I am aware of being a restriction on who can prescribe methadone for either palliative care/heroin weaning/both indications.

As well, I don't know of any special license that anaesthesiologists need to get even with all that narcotics access....

Medicator

Guest UWOMED2005

My license to prescribe in Alberta is an "educational license" - I'm supposedly prescribing under my preceptor.

Effectively, that usually means little. I regularly write prescriptions with just my name. . . though I once had a Walmart call me back and request I add my preceptor as an "as per". . .

Considering some of the questions I get from the Walmart pharmacists, I think that might just be a Walmart thing.

Archived