Premed 101 Forums

Neurology Residency

Guest cozyshirt

• 1 month later...

I believe the match rate is about 60-70%. You could check out the CaRMS website to get specifics about each matching year for the last few yrs.

There's a fairly realistic chance that one would match to neuro if they did all the requisite things: at least a few electives, involved in some research and no red flags on your transcript. The main thing is to be willing to go anywhere in the country. There's usually 1-2 spots left unmatched in less desirable locations (Manitoba, Newfoundland etc).

When doing electives it's often helpful to stack (doing two electives in neuro back to back with the first in a less desirable location). This will better enable you to shine when you need to most.

Hope this helps.

MacMD

• 1 month later...
Guest satsumargirl

MacMD (or anyone who knows),

Could you please elaborate on the purpose of stacking?

Is it that you do an elective in a place you don`t care about...so your learning curve happens there. Then in the 2nd place that you do care about...you already kind of know what you are doing?

So they ask you where you did your previous electives?

Do they know what you are doing?

Thanks

Sats

Guest Valani9

I think what they mean by 'Stacking' is just that you do electives in the more preferred locations, later on in clerkship (i.e. after you've had a chance to do electives elsewhere).

So if you want to go into Peds, and you want to do your residency in Montreal, you should do that elective last (and other peds electives before that). So by the time you arrive in Montreal, you already know some stuff, and you won't spend your four weeks there 'learning the ropes' or whatever.

Good luck

• 4 weeks later...

In terms of electives in neurology - what is a decent amount of time to allocate for electives in fourth year - I have heard either 2 or 3 weeks - I'd prefer to do two weeks, because then I can do electives at more places, but I was wondering what others thought of this.

EJL

Guest Valani9

Two weeks is not enough.

I have been told directly from supervisors that if you are serious about doing a residency somewhere, you should be doing a 4 week elective there. I know there is a common opinion amongst students that 4 weeks is too long, but I'm inclined to take the word of faculty on this one.

If you have to choose, I'd definitely say 3 weeks over 2. Don't spread yourself too thin.

good luck.

Guest cheech10

Depends on the setting. If you work closely with 1 staff for the entire 2 weeks, as often happens in outpatient settings such as Family Practice, 2 weeks is likely just fine. But if you are in a rotation such as Team Medicine, where you see far more of your residents than your staff, then 3 weeks is the minimum.

Archived