Premed 101 Forums

PM & R - JJ this is for you particularly

Guest RAK2005

Guest RAK2005

JJ, I was wondering if you could respond to a couple of things I've heard from UWO meds people. A couple of folks have told me that the physiatrists at UWO "do extremely well" financially... I am interested in the field, but have heard quite the opposite from others who are outside of Western and with my massive debt, I am shying away from certain specialties... Have you hear similar tales from your classmates and faculty ? Anyone else with some 411 can enlighten me too :)

• 5 years later...

Physiatrists do well because of their non-OHIP, medical-legal works. I know physiatrists who do medical-legal work only earn well over 500k annually. 2 things people in medicine say about physiatry: Great lifestyle and good money.

The non-OHIP work is seeing injuried patients for insurance companies so the companies can take away the patient's benefits. Your job is to call the patient a liar and say they, the patients, are really not that badly disabled.

Benefits gone, insurance company closes a file, you make money.

So you do get paid really good money to be a wanker.

But, whatever right, who really went into medicine to take care of patients. We all did it for the money, prestige, and the adoration of the opposite sex.

"Money and Lifestyle"...... I need to go puke.

Who says that taking care of patients has to be your primary reason for going into medicine? It certainly wasn't mine. Helping people out is a nice bonus, but I pursued medicine as a career because I was always interested in the workings of the human body in school. Equally important to me was the ability to make some cash and all the other perks that go along with it.

Who me? I'm about to start residency. I know that it's crap lifestyle and the money sucks, but it's interesting work. Who knows...maybe I'll do some good for someone some day and realize that I really did get into this business to "help people". My clerkship experience certainly hasn't changed my attitude.

The non-OHIP work is seeing injuried patients for insurance companies so the companies can take away the patient's benefits. Your job is to call the patient a liar and say they, the patients, are really not that badly disabled.

Benefits gone, insurance company closes a file, you make money.

So you do get paid really good money to be a wanker.

But, whatever right, who really went into medicine to take care of patients. We all did it for the money, prestige, and the adoration of the opposite sex.

"Money and Lifestyle"...... I need to go puke.

this may be cynical but there ARE a lot of people who do lie to collect insurance and wcb benefits, sure its not 'taking care of patients' or 'curing the sick', and kind of distateful, but I want someone to do that job (kind of like we need lawyers) and keep people from cheating the system and hiking up premiums for people who follow the rules. Ofcourse it would be disgusting for a physician to lie on the stand to make money, but I think it is extremely unfair to assume that physiatrists doing medico legal work are complete 'wankers'.

• 2 months later...

Archived