Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

Time Stamp: Tue May 12, 2015 at 07:54
Result: Waitlist (We will contact you before September...)
wGPA: 3.97
Stream: English
Interview: No big disasters, but first interview and really unsure how I did. Not as friendly a panel as some of my friends had, from what I've heard.

Excited for y'all who got good news! Ottawa is awesome! Hope that makes it easier for those on the waitlist :D

Time stamp: Tues May 12 at 7:39 am EST
Result: Accepted
wGPA: 3.93
Interview: I felt that I answered all of the ethical questions well, but didn't feel that they got a good sense of who I am as a person so I was honestly doubting that I would be admitted...I guess it worked out just fine in the end! Panel was friendly. Beyond excited.  :) Congrats all!

Time stamp: Tues May 12 at 7:54 am EST
Result: Waitlist (We will contact you should a vacancy occur before September..)
wGPA: 3.93
Interview: Did not answer some questions as well as I would have liked to.. may have completely bombed one question actually.. but at least I knew I was able to give them a good sense of my personality just by way of using non-verbal cues (how I spoke, sat, used my hands, etc.)

Time Stamp - May 12 7:50 AM

Result:  Admit!!

wGPA:  4.00 (i guess really 3.995)

Stream:  English

Interview:  Rocked it!

Finally admitted to an Ontario school!  While Ottawa is my 4th choice (after Toronto, Western and Queens but before MAC) - but I'm super secure now.  Just waiting on the rest.

Time Stamp: May 12, 7:49am EST

Result: Waitlisted
GPA: 3.9
Stream: French

Does anyone know how we can know our ranking on the waitlist? Can we ask them?

They said as candidates become accepted off the waitlist, your ranking will change, don't ask us for this reason. But can we ask our original ranking?

Time Stamp: May 12, 7:54 AM

Result: "Good" Waitlisted

wGPA: 3.92
Interview: It's really hard to tell now, but I wasn't happy with my performance at all when I left the room. 

Congrats to those accepted and good luck to everyone who is waitlisted.

Time Stamp: May 12, 7:25 AM

Result: Accepted!!!! 

wGPA: 3.8 (!) 
Stream: French
Interview: felt somewhere between unsure and good, so I guess it was good after all!   

This is surreal. So excited to meet everyone, and good luck to everyone waitlisted or still applying -- perseverance pays off!!  

Time stamp: May 12, 8:37am

Result: Accepted

wGPA: 3.97

Interview: Felt really confident, thought it went well! I had a pretty interactive and friendly panel. Like any interview though, I wondered after if maybe I rambled too much on some questions but I guess that didn't make a difference!

Time stamp: May 12, 7 something AM

Result: Bad waitlisted

wGPA: 3.90+

Stream: English (bilingual)

ECs: Nothing too extraordinary and I doubt reading my ECs will help future applicants. As cliched as it sounds, I think it helps to pursue long-term activities that you are passionate about, while also exposing yourself to the clinical professions and scientific research. More important than anything is being able to convey really well the skills you learned/displayed through your ECs in your autobiographical sketch. I highly encourage future applicants to check out the CanMeds competencies. They were my bread and butter for this application cycle. Be sure to show how you displayed the CanMeds roles through the acitivites that you list on your sketch - it definitely made a difference in the number of interviews I got compared to last cycle.

Interview: Panel felt cold and abrupt, but I stayed enthusiastic throughout.

Current year: Final year of Masters