Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

Result: Waitlisted 

Time-stamp: 7:37 AM 

GPA: 3.96

Stream: English

Geography: IP

ECs: Mix of long term and short-term, local and international.

Current year: Graduated in 2015... worked after.

Interview: It was average. Stumbled upon one question and thought could have answered one ethical question better. 100% sure didn't say anything that could be a red flag. Panel was a mix of nice (2 people) and cold (1 person). 

Thought I'd post this to help future applicants! 

Result: Accepted (will decline offer for another school)

Time-stamp: 7:22 AM May 9th

GPA: 4.00

Stream: French

Geography: OOP (Quebec)

ECs: I would say average. A lot of research though and volunteering here and there. 

Current year: Just graduated from Bachelors degree. 

Interview: Had mixed feelings. Some questions I felt were good, others, not too much. The student was very nice and encouraging throughout the interview which made it easier for me. Rambled a lot! 

Someone should get a call from the waitlist after the 23rd! Good luck everyone! 

Result: Accepted 

wGPA: 3.97

ECs: Long term volunteering at clinic, several years of research (some abstracts, no pubs), ran several clubs, student society exec, long term athletics.

Interview: Honestly thought I messed it up. I think what maybe saved me was one station where I connected with one of the interviewers on a personal level about a type of sport I do, which he seemed V interested in. Otherwise average.

Year: 3rd

Hello everyone! This forum has been very helpful to me, and I just found out a couple of hours ago, so I thought I would make a post of my own! Here goes:

Result: Accepted (from waitlist)

MCAT: did not do it

CASPER: I felt pretty good about it after, I did some practice questions that I found online beforehand and they gave me a feel for what it would be like. One or two tricky questions but overall wasn't too bad and it was exactly what I expected.

ECs: Lots, I am super involved! Some research, lots of volunteering. The volunteering was mostly not medical related though. Lots of music organizations and sports.

Current year: Just finished 3rd year undergrad

Interview: Right after, I thought it went just okay, but after talking to some people who said their panel was extremely warm, I thought mine went poorly. My panel was not at all outwardly warm and that may have rattled me a bit. I had 3 midterms right before my interview so I definitely was wishing I had more time to prepare! I guess it went okay though. Rough start I think, but I managed to get it back on track. I rambled a lot as well - that's what I do when I am nervous!

Best of luck to everyone still waiting! Sending out positive thoughts for you  :)

Is the wait list moving very slowly or are very few people posting that they got off the waitlist? :(

I think there are not a lot of people posting. If you look at the facebook group, it's increasing by a lot. Of course, that's not the best source but it's highly unlikely that they haven't called many waitlisters by now. 

Result: Accepted!

Time Stamp: May 9th 2017

wGPA: 3.95

CASPER: Prepared extensively for two months. Felt great about the test.

ECs: Some research, volunteering, club leadership activities, working with vulnerable populations etc.

Interview: Felt my interview went great and that I connected well with the panel.

Ended up posting this pretty late, but I'm really glad to have been accepted to UOttawa for medicine, and I look forward to seeing everyone there next year!!

• 3 weeks later...

Super delayed but I am so grateful to finally have the opportunity to post this! 

Time Stamp: May 9th 2017 @ 7:10am

wGPA: 3.96

CASPER: Did a lot of practice. Felt pretty well prepared. 

ECs: Many different EC's. Different research experiences: NSERC, research assistant, honours project, volunteered at labs. Did lots of volunteering with vulnerable populations. Held quite a few leadership positions in clubs on campus, and helped pioneer some events on campus. Different work positions such as teaching, tutoring, research, and a few part time jobs here and there. 

Interview: Felt my interview went ok. I think what people say about post-interview feelings not being representative is very true. 

For those of you who have been quite active on the forum, thank you! You have all inspired me and motivated me throughout the years. I am looking forward to meeting you in the fall! 

• 3 months later...

Posting stats for future cycles: 

Result: Waitlist. Did not end up getting that life-changing phone call from Chantel. 

wGPA:  3.98

Casper: Felt really good, although we don't get a score so maybe I just passed the Ottawa Casper cutoff. 

ECs: Diverse. Hit all the Canmeds nicely.

Interview: The Panel was challenging. Got off to a rocky start and despite having some solid answers in the middle, I don't think my performance was good enough to recover. 

Geography: IP (English stream)

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Result: Accepted :D

Time Stamp: May 8th 2018 @ 6:34am

wGPA: 3.94

CASPER: Practiced for about a week, wrote out all the CANMEDs and then tried to place examples of how my past experiences fit into each one. I think doing a lot of personal reflection on your life experiences can help for this test

ECs: Lots of varied interests - I tried to seek activities during university that would help keep me well-rounded (founded a club, participated long-term in various music and sports clubs, 1st author publication from ugrad, other papers in progress)

Interview: I honestly had no idea how it went and was super nervous right after it finished. It was hard to tell from the interviewers reactions during the interview (they didnt show much emotion). I prepared for a solid 6 weeks doing practice interviews with as many people as possible. I think that helped me to be more confident/ comfortable going into the real interview

Year: MSc (2nd year)

Geography: IP, OOO

PM if you have any Qs about the application process - I'm happy to help future applicants. So excited to start in the fall!!!

cGPA: 3.90 (wGPA 3.93)

CASPer: Felt great! Read Doing Right and was confident about my answering style after refining it over the last 3 years

ECs: Pretty diverse. PM for more details

Interview: It was my first one and I was so nervous. Could honestly feel my voice tremble and stutter on the times they challenged me. Very cold panel but all the prep seems to have paid off! Can never really tell with these sorts of things I guess.

Year: Graduated. Working 

Result: Accepted :D English

Time Stamp: May 8th 2018 @ 6:38am

wGPA: 3.94

CASPER: Practiced for two months and read doing right! PM101 had great posts on how to prep for this

ECs: Research (2pubs), tons of scholarships, awards, clubs, work/volunteer experiences. Competitive Vocalist

Interview: Honestly it felt like the best interview ever! I really loved the atmosphere there during interview day and loved the city of Ottawa...(I am just so happy to able to live in that awesome city). All MD2021 students I met there seemed really helpful and compassionate.

Current Year: Finished undergrad in 2017. Working for 1 year.

Geography: IP, OOO

I am so happy :D this is amazing. I will be eating fried chicken to celebrate!

Accepted
Time Stamp: 08/05/2018 - 06:28 AM
Stream: French
wGPA: 4.0/4.0
Current year: 2nd year Undergrad + CEGEP
ECs: Student comitee president, paliative care helper, gyneco-oncology research. 

Casper: I seriously do not remember, but all right.

Good luck!

Result: Bad waitlist/rejected 

Time-stamp: 8:15 AM May 8th 2018

Email subject line: Status of application - Faculty of Medicine - University of Ottawa

GPA: 3.98 (?)

ECs: Meh. U of A said not good enough.

Current year: 4th year 

Interview: Thought was horrendous. not really surprised, still upset.

congrats on the acceptances!

Restult: Accepted!

Time-stamp- 6:53am 

ECs: decent, volunteer with veterans at a hospital, research experience

Interview: felt good but they were very confrontational and intense. 

Got no sleep last night, congrats to those who got in, best of luck to everyone else!!

Result: Bad waitlist

Time-stamp: 8:15 AM May 8th 2018

GPA: 3.92ish

ECs: Very Diverse. teaching, leadership, and several publications with some pending

Current year: 2nd year MSc.

Interview: A few hiccups but overall, thought it went well

Thought I would be placed on the good-waitlist at the very least. Well... Pretty sad news, but life goes on. Probably just going to work for a year and strengthen my application. It ain't over til I give up (which is never!!!!!!)

Congratulations to all those accepted!

English Stream

Time-stamp: 6:49 AM

wGPA: 3.93

CASPer: It went well but my answers were short ( I am not a very fast typer). For future applicants, prioritize quality over quantity!

ECs: Stronger than average (my guess is around 90th percentile compared to the pool of applicants). 

Interview: My panel was cold and rushed as well but nonetheless I left feeling like my answers were good and genuine and I gave it all. By the end, they all seemed pleased. 

Year: MSc

Geography: IP OOO

Result: Accepted

Time-stamp: 6:36 AM May 8th 2018

GPA: 3.91

Geography: OOP

ECs: Nothing outstanding but long term positions and have had an impact on me. 

Current year: Completed BSc. Gap Year Right Now. 

Interview: Felt really good about it compared to my other interviews this year.

Will be giving up my spot for a position closer to home! Congrats to all and goodluck to those on waitlist :) 

2015/2016

Applied: UofA, UofC

Rejected: UofA, UofC

2016/2017

Applied: UofA, UofC, UofO, UofS, UBC, Toronto, Queens, McMaster

Interviewed: UofC

Waitlisted: UofC Post Interview 

2017/2018

Applied: UofA, UofC, UofO, McMaster, Queens

Interviewed: UofA, UofC, UofO, McMaster

Accepted: UofA, UofC, UofO, McMaster

Result: Accepted! (English)

Timestamp: 6:40 am EST May 8th 2018

GPA: 3.97ish

Current year: just graduated BSc

ECs: diverse I think?? nothing super long-term

Interview: Made a bit of an embarrassing mistake at the end (called the school by the wrong name lol) but overall good vibes!

CASPER: I was v rushed but ranked in the mid 150s out of ~830 OOP applicants to McGill if that's helpful!