Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

Result: Accepted english stream

Time-stamp: 7:51 AM

wGPA: 4.0

CASPer: Felt good, nothing was very grey-area, surprisingly. Most answers I thought had a definite 'right' answer and you just had to communicate why it was right

ECs: not sure if Ottawa considers them heavily but had good diversity 

Interview: Waiting to be called made me a nervous interviewee once I started! I was shaking visibly even after they eased in with the first question. But then we did a roleplay and I got into character and BOOM I forgot I was nervous -until the roleplay ended haha but I was warming up to them and I heard one person mutter "very good" as they wrote, which gave me encouragement. Still, the nerves just could not be shaken but nothing they asked caught me off guard, I fielded their extra prompts without batting an eye. I had very nice interviewers that made me enjoy the process even in that state :) Since this was my first time interviewing at Ottawa, I didn't have any expectations of question styles like I read some of you were surprised at and thrown off by. It was very MMI-like and I had no problems with that - I even kinda liked that you were doing an MMI but didn't have to enter a new room everytime with a surprise interviewer and establish how friendly/responsive they are again. Overall, I liked the panel - I left feeling like I did some good adulting lol

Year: MSc

Geography: OOP

Result: Bad Waitlist

English Stream

Time-stamp: 8:15 AM

wGPA: 3.92

CASPer: Felt ok about it. I can type quickly and answered most questions - ran out of time a few times on the 3rd question.

ECs: probably not that strong - some sports, some fine arts, various volunteering (longest being 2 years long) and a few student leadership type things. Minimal research. 

Interview: I felt pretty terrible about this interview - didn't go into it prepared at all as I received an interview invite off of the waitlist too - on very short notice, and several weeks before any other interviews. Honestly not surprised by this result, but disappointed anyways :(

Year: Graduated from undergrad

Result : Bad Waitlist

French Stream

wGPA : 3.98

CASPer : felt good about it

ECs : Strong

Interview : I knew I did terrible on it. I was super tired and unfortunately this played against me on that crucial day, I'm over it it's been a while. I will accept another school's offer! #next

Year : 4th

Gerography : IP

8 hours ago, ahk13 said:

Has anyone not gotten an email yet? I still haven't heard back and I'm debating emailing them since it seems as though they sent mostly everything out early morning already :'(

I haven't gotten an email yet either. Thinking I should email or contact them tonight. 

Result: Good Waitlist

Stream: CNFS

Time-Stamp: 7:08 AM

wGPA: 3.96

EC: Above average, see my post on the interview invite page :)

Current Year: Just finished 3rd

Interview: I was very nervous and made a couple mistakes, but I think I hit most of the key points they were looking for in each question/scenario. 

I'll make another post if I get that life-changing phone call, fingers crossed!

ResultAccepted!!!!!!!!!!

English Stream

Time-stamp: 6:52 AM

wGPA: 4.00

CASPer: I thought it went ok, I'm a slow typer but I felt I was able to analyze different aspects of the problem pretty effectively in the given time.

ECs: Pretty strong I believe. Feel free to PM me for more info :)

MCAT: 130/131/129/128 

Interview: I thought it went ok. Ethical questions are a strength of mine, but I felt like my panel was really cold to me, must have been fine though.

Year: Graduating this year

Geography: IP, OOO 

ResultAccepted!

French Stream

Time-stamp: 6:30 AM

wGPA: 4.0

CASPer: I thought the CASPer went super well! I did 4 timed practice tests from Astroff (not sponsored, but I actually recommend buying the practice tests) and really saw a lot of improvement through every test! I also read Doing Right and reviewed basic medical ethics principles with a medical student. If you have any questions about CASPer, message me!

ECs: Diverse with a lot of teaching jobs (skating, lifeguarding, swimming), NSERC USRA, president of a committee in CÉGEP, president of my program's student society in university, photography

MCAT: VERY happy I didn't need to take the MCAT and never will 

Interview: I feel weird to say this but I had fun? I was very stressed and didn't communicate my answers properly when I was practicing for the interview, but somehow the nerves didn't get to me during the actual day and the practice came through! I had a very nice panel and they were easy to communicate with. 

Year: Second year of university (out of three since I went CÉGEP) 

Geography: OOP (Québec)

ResultAccepted

English Stream

Time-stamp: 6:49 AM

wGPA: 3.93

CASPer: Felt it went well. I'm a fast typer, a lot of the situations I have encountered before so I gave my honest opinion on how I have/would deal with them.

ECs: Diverse, lots of hospital volunteering, working with at risk populations, food bank volunteering, customer service/operations business experience, teaching free science courses, travelling, hobbies,  LOTS of sports. PM if you would like a detailed overview :)

MCAT: 514

Interview: This felt like my worst interview. I was off to a rough start from the first question. I felt I did really well at the acting station, but was pressed and questioned at every turn after that, however I stuck to my original answer even when questioned. I guess it's true when they say post-interview feelings aren't accurate!

Year: Graduated 2017, currently working

Will be declining this offer. Best of luck to those on the waitlist!! :D

Result: Accepted

Time Stamp: May 8th 2018 (don't remember the time)

wGPA: 3.98

CASPER: I skimmed over Doing Right and did some personal reflections. 

ECs: Lots of research (2 honours theses + internship + volunteering), student group exec, volunteering, sports and hobbies, deans list. PM if you want to know more!

Interview: I had no idea how I did and I felt mediocre at best. I expected it to be traditional but it was very scenario-based and MMI-like which I think played to my advantage given previous MMI practice and experiences. I just tried to be as genuine and myself as possible and I guess it worked out.

Year: Graduated in 2017 and currently working

Stream: French OOP (CFNS)

Time Stamp:  May 8th, 7:20 am

wGPA: 3.8x (I believe 3.84)

CASPER:  Felt I did alright. I found it to be more challenging in French compared to the English one. 

ECs:  Student Foot Patrol, MedLife, Peer Health Education Team (University Health Awareness),  University Student Emergency Response Team (USERT).  I have worked for both my parents who are respective Faculty Members at two other medical schools (not Ottawa).  Intramurals, Teaching Assistant (TA), Laboratory Technician,  Director of Bilingualism of the University Biology Society,  and camp counsellor.  I am currently employed by the Canadian Medical Association. 

Interview: Having previously interviewed at Calgary, I had the time to better prepare my answers. I believe I did quite well in the interview, but I personally find it as a hybrid between MMI and Panel.  Luckily my Calgary interviewed better prepared me in that regard. 

Year: 5th Yr (Completing BSc)

Geography:  OOP

Result: Accepted

Stream: English 

Time Stamp:  May 8th, 6:51am

wGPA: 3.9

CASPER:  Felt normal, didn’t leave any answer blank and tried to be balanced in my answers 

ECs:  Mostly research and then a bit of everything else

Interview: Felt pretty good actually! Some answers could have been stronger but I felt comfortable with the panel. They were very receptive to my answers and smiled a lot! 

Very grateful and excited to see everyone in September 

Result: Accepted!

Time Stamp:  May 8th, 6:34am

wGPA: 3.93

CASPER:  Felt great

ECs:  Working RN, health-related volunteering and research, RN-related provincial awards

Interview: Felt terrible about this one, cold panel, rambled a lot, fully expected a hard reject. Just goes to show interview perception rarely correlates with actual performance.

To those who are still trying, don't give up! I did 9 years of undergrad including 1st/2nd degrees to get to this point; if you want it bad enough you'll find a way eventually!

Time Stamp: May 8, 7:46 AM EST

wGPA: 3.918

CASPer: I ran out of time on a few questions and ended with less than 10 words on them but I felt like the ones I did write a lot for were strong. 

EC’s: above average but no pubs. Lots of leadership and management roles.

Interview: Felt horrible. I had very mediocre answers to at least 2 of the questions. I’m surprised I didn’t get bad waitlisted. 

First time applying so now I know I have to prepare myself way better for the interview. Do not underestimate the interview, I regret not taking it as seriously as I could. I only prepped for a week before it!

Posting for stats :)

Time Stamp: May 8, 7:45 AM EST

wGPA: 3.99

CASPer: felt good about it

EC’s: Strong - very diverse, lots of medically related volunteering, working part-time through undergrad, decent research + awards

Interview: I was battling a flu, but still felt I managed to do well! Low stress, had a friendly and conversational panel. Prepared a lot for this.

Congrats to all who received acceptances! I will be removing my name from the wait list, as I have accepted my offer at Dalhousie. :) Best of luck to those still waiting for good news! 

Time Stamp: May 8th, 6:47 AM

wGPA: 3.95

CASPer: My second time writing it & I felt like it went a lot better this time around. (Got an offer from mac as well so I think it went well.)

ECs: Tutoring, research for a few years (posters, 1 pub 2nd author), arts background (dance, vocal performance), camp counsellor, etc. (PM if you want more details!)

Interview: Felt like I connected with the panel. I think my interview went well overall but of course I second guessed myself constantly until I finally read the acceptance email. 

Will be accepting this offer--uOttawa med is the dream! Best of luck to everyone on the waitlist & future applicants~

Time Stamp: May 8th @ 6:38am

wGPA: 3.94

CASPER: Didn't prepare in advance (should have), but overall felt really comfortable as a fast typing speed let me write quite lengthy answers, and I feel that generally, this type of ethics/conflict resolution is a strong suit of mine :) Didn't realize how important CASPer was until after, but now I'm a die-hard fan. 

ECs: A lot of leadership positions in a variety of clubs/services, several long-term jobs,  teaching assistant, some volunteering... I would say its very diverse with an emphasis on student government, social issues, drama/arts, sports.. Only one item was research based :) Seriously, do what you love, and not what you think medical schools want to see. Plus, I'd imagine that your passion shows through and is so much more engaging at the interview when they ask about your ECs 

Interview: Felt good walking out, but every day that followed, I nit-picked the interview more (I interviewed mid February, so I had a lot of time to do this lol). Overall I got a good vibe, but it was my first interview so I was unnecessarily nervous and I think that showed through in a few answers. Towards middle/end, definitely warmed up more and started having fun with it (which lead to better answers, imo). Very few of the questions were extremely out of the blue or unexpected!

Geography: IP

Year: 3rd year UG

Sorry this is late!! Posted for stats but will be accepting my offer at mac med! 

Time Stamp: May 8, 6:47 AM EST

Stream: English, IP

wGPA: 3.88

CASPer: felt good, was cutoff mid sentence for one prompt.

EC’s: diverse but nothing crazy impressive imo. Lots of volunteering (hospital, charities, long term care centres), worked part time throughout undergrad, research with presentations but no pubs, heavy sports involvement but non-varsity athlete.

Interview: Felt great, probably the best interview I've ever done.

Year: Fourth Year

Note to applicants: I almost didn't apply to Ottawa because I thought my GPA was too low (nor to Mac because I thought my 126 CARS was too low). These ended up being my only interviews in Ontario, and Ottawa my only acceptance. I know applications can be expensive, but I highly recommend applying wherever you're eligible and have somewhat of a chance of interviewing. 

Posting for stats :)

Stream: French

Time-stamp: 6:29am

CASPer: Felt okay about it but found it difficult to know how well I did relative to everyone else. I have decent typing speed and remember writing a fair amount for each question. This was my first time writing CASPer but I did a few practice tests (in English) and saw significant improvement with each one.

ECs: Research (NSERC+pub), couple of student leadership things (i.e. charity fundraisers/awareness campaigns), volunteer for government organizations (but overall probably not much volunteering compared to some), lots of sports (competitive athlete; international/national competitions), decent amount of physician shadowing, few jobs here and there (landscaping, tutoring, RA, etc). 

Interview: I actually felt good about the interview. I got along nicely with my panel and was rarely pushed by follow-up questions or anything like that. Following the interview I definitely doubted some of my answers (thought I could have said more in some cases) but thankfully it worked out :)

Year: 3rd year undergrad

Good luck to everyone else! 

Result: Good Waitlist (EDIT: ACCEPTED OFF OF THE WAITLIST MAY 25TH AT 10:45AM)

English Stream

Time-stamp: 7:45 AM

CASPer: Difficult, I feel like I had very short responses for each questions, and some questions were left half-answered. I felt like I didn't prepare enough for it and I had a bad feeling afterwards. 

ECs: social issues clubs (with a few presidencies), a long term commitment at a clinic, did a couple of conferences (extent of research), and a couple of volunteering placements

Interview: I did not feel good afterwards. I felt like I missed quite a few points in my answers that I would have liked to mention. I felt like I never mentioned outcomes for some personal questions (i.e., they felt half-answered). However, I felt that I appeared very empathetic during my scenario questions. 

Year: 3rd year undergrad

Result: Accepted off "good" waitlist (May 25, 2018)

Time Stamp: May 8, 2018, 7:45 AM (waitlist)

wGPA: 3.94

CASPer: I really like this test, though I am a quick typer and I understand why some people feel it is unfair in that respect. My volunteer and work experiences were really useful for helping me think critically, while being empathetic to multiple sides in a situation and ultimately explaining why I would take approach X vs. Y. I definitely had lots of examples prepared (conflict in teams, strengths, weaknesses) in case I needed to use them on the fly. 

ECs: heavily involved in a social service organization (volunteer, became supervisor, then became board member), lots of research experience in medicine/pharmacy and psychology (1 publication, another 1 on the way... hopefully!, some conference presentations), multiple long-term jobs working with homeless and individuals with mental illness

Interview: thought i connected really well with 2 members of the panel, maybe not so well with one of the other members. My hunch about these panel interviews is that they average the score of the three panelists, and if I were to take a wild guess, I might have been scored as 2x4.0 and 1x3.5 (since I was waitlisted). At first I felt fantastic coming out of the interview, but started to really feel like shite later on. I kept going over and over my answers, and started feeling like I had thrown all my interview prep out the window, didn't feel like I took enough time relating scenarios to my actual experience and didn't feel like I was able to sell myself given the question style.

Year: Just graduating UG (see below)

Non-trad: I went to college after high school and worked in the trades for a bit. I wanted a change and I was lucky to land a job in health care administration, then a job in the government. I did online and nighttime high school courses while still working to get my grade 12 "U" credits to apply to university when I discovered an interest in medicine. I left my decent paying government job to pursue undergrad full time so that I could apply to medicine. It has been a long 7+ year journey, with many people telling me along the way it was an unrealistic goal. If you want medicine, my advice is go for it! Don't let anyone dictate to you what you should and shouldn't strive for :)