Premed 101 Forums
Guest Ian Wong

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Posting for stats :)

Result: Accepted

Stream: French

Time-stamp: 6:29am

wGPA: 3.96

CASPer: Felt okay about it but found it difficult to know how well I did relative to everyone else. I have decent typing speed and remember writing a fair amount for each question. This was my first time writing CASPer but I did a few practice tests (in English) and saw significant improvement with each one.

ECs: Research (NSERC+pub), couple of student leadership things (i.e. charity fundraisers/awareness campaigns), volunteer for government organizations (but overall probably not much volunteering compared to some), lots of sports (competitive athlete; international/national competitions), decent amount of physician shadowing, few jobs here and there (landscaping, tutoring, RA, etc). 

Interview: I actually felt good about the interview. I got along nicely with my panel and was rarely pushed by follow-up questions or anything like that. Following the interview I definitely doubted some of my answers (thought I could have said more in some cases) but thankfully it worked out :)

Year: 3rd year undergrad

Geography: IP

Good luck to everyone else! 

Result: Good Waitlist (EDIT: ACCEPTED OFF OF THE WAITLIST MAY 25TH AT 10:45AM)

English Stream

Time-stamp: 7:45 AM

wGPA: 3.96

CASPer: Difficult, I feel like I had very short responses for each questions, and some questions were left half-answered. I felt like I didn't prepare enough for it and I had a bad feeling afterwards. 

ECs: social issues clubs (with a few presidencies), a long term commitment at a clinic, did a couple of conferences (extent of research), and a couple of volunteering placements

Interview: I did not feel good afterwards. I felt like I missed quite a few points in my answers that I would have liked to mention. I felt like I never mentioned outcomes for some personal questions (i.e., they felt half-answered). However, I felt that I appeared very empathetic during my scenario questions. 

Year: 3rd year undergrad

Result: Accepted off "good" waitlist (May 25, 2018)

Stream: English

Time Stamp: May 8, 2018, 7:45 AM (waitlist)

wGPA: 3.94

CASPer: I really like this test, though I am a quick typer and I understand why some people feel it is unfair in that respect. My volunteer and work experiences were really useful for helping me think critically, while being empathetic to multiple sides in a situation and ultimately explaining why I would take approach X vs. Y. I definitely had lots of examples prepared (conflict in teams, strengths, weaknesses) in case I needed to use them on the fly. 

ECs: heavily involved in a social service organization (volunteer, became supervisor, then became board member), lots of research experience in medicine/pharmacy and psychology (1 publication, another 1 on the way... hopefully!, some conference presentations), multiple long-term jobs working with homeless and individuals with mental illness

Interview: thought i connected really well with 2 members of the panel, maybe not so well with one of the other members. My hunch about these panel interviews is that they average the score of the three panelists, and if I were to take a wild guess, I might have been scored as 2x4.0 and 1x3.5 (since I was waitlisted). At first I felt fantastic coming out of the interview, but started to really feel like shite later on. I kept going over and over my answers, and started feeling like I had thrown all my interview prep out the window, didn't feel like I took enough time relating scenarios to my actual experience and didn't feel like I was able to sell myself given the question style.

Year: Just graduating UG (see below)

Non-trad: I went to college after high school and worked in the trades for a bit. I wanted a change and I was lucky to land a job in health care administration, then a job in the government. I did online and nighttime high school courses while still working to get my grade 12 "U" credits to apply to university when I discovered an interest in medicine. I left my decent paying government job to pursue undergrad full time so that I could apply to medicine. It has been a long 7+ year journey, with many people telling me along the way it was an unrealistic goal. If you want medicine, my advice is go for it! Don't let anyone dictate to you what you should and shouldn't strive for :) 

A little late, thought I should post for the stats. 

Result: Accepted!!! :):)

Stream: French

Time-stamp: 6:31 am

wGPA: 3.82

CASPer: I felt ok, but it's hard to really know. I was able to answer every single question, but didn't give that much detail. I kept it straight to the point. It was my second time. 

ECs: Pretty diverse: volunteering in a psychiatric hospital and long-term care facility, was implicated in a few health sciences research projects, humanitarian aid trips as well as various sports and activities.

Interview: I was really uncertain about my performance. I had the feeling that I was unable to sell myself to the interviewers in reason of the types of questions they were asking. I had put a lot of time and effort pre-interview, this preparation was mostly focused on introspection as well as research. I think the best thing is to remain natural and honest (just be yourself).

Year: Completed M.Sc. 

This was my third time applying and my second interview. Never give up on your dreams!