Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

A little late, thought I should post for the stats. 

Result: Accepted!!! :):)

Stream: French

Time-stamp: 6:31 am

wGPA: 3.82

CASPer: I felt ok, but it's hard to really know. I was able to answer every single question, but didn't give that much detail. I kept it straight to the point. It was my second time. 

ECs: Pretty diverse: volunteering in a psychiatric hospital and long-term care facility, was implicated in a few health sciences research projects, humanitarian aid trips as well as various sports and activities.

Interview: I was really uncertain about my performance. I had the feeling that I was unable to sell myself to the interviewers in reason of the types of questions they were asking. I had put a lot of time and effort pre-interview, this preparation was mostly focused on introspection as well as research. I think the best thing is to remain natural and honest (just be yourself).

Year: Completed M.Sc. 

Geography: IP

This was my third time applying and my second interview. Never give up on your dreams! 

• 9 months later...

Result: Accepted

Stream: English

Time-stamp: 7:07 am

wGPA: 3.92

CASPer: Who knows 

ECs: Extensive and long term. 

Interview: This interview felt amazing. The panel was incredibly kind, and never once put me on the defensive.

Year: Completed Masters

Geography: IP

Edit: I have declined this offer, good luck to those on the waitlist, I have my fingers crossed!

ResultGood waitlist

Time-stamp: 7:22 am

wGPA: 3.94

CASPer: Felt great! Good enough for a Mac interview invite. I think so many of the scenarios come down to your life experience and how well you can support your answer.

ECs: A few exec team roles, non-profit charity run volunteering, other health-related volunteering at my university.

Interview: The interview felt so so. My panel was very friendly but I definitely could have improved on some of my answers.

Year: 4th year undergrad

Congrats to those with offers! It's been quite a night. Let the waiting begin.

Time-stamp: 7:06 am

CASPer: It was decent. It was not good enough for a Mac interview though. 

ECs: A variety of activities (PM for more details)

Interview: The interviewers were very nice. After the interview, I did start doubting myself and my answers. I guess it was decent enough!

Year: 4th Year Undergrad

18 minutes ago, MD_endgame said:

ResultGood waitlist

CASPer: Felt great! Good enough for a Mac interview invite. I think so many of the scenarios come down to your life experience and how well you can support your answer.

ECs: A few exec team roles, non-profit charity run volunteering, other health-related volunteering at my university.

Interview: The interview felt so so. My panel was very friendly but I definitely could have improved on some of my answers.

Year: 4th year undergrad

Congrats to those with offers! It's been quite a night. Let the waiting begin.

Is there a good/bad waitlist this year? Mine just says that my name is on a « waitlist ».

Just now, Inittowinit said:

Is there a good/bad waitlist this year? Mine just says that my name is on a « waitlist ».

I think there is! On the other thread (accepted May 2019) someone mentioned their email had a "based on your ranking, you are unlikely to receive an offer" line. Hoping for the best!

Accepted. French stream. Already declined the offer because I got into Mcgill. I hope this makes someone happy! 

Goodluck

Stream : French 

GPA : 3.99

Casper : felt good about it

ECs : lots of research and two grants (but only 2 papers) lots of student government, part of a foundation. Academic awards (governers medal in University), sports interests... I guess I have a pretty varied CV. Filled all the OMSAS available spots. 

Interview : my panel was extremely nice which threw me off because I heard they would be cold. I tend to be overly friendly when I am confortable, so I thought I lacked professionalism... guess not! But other than that, I think it went well, my answers were straight to the point, even finished a little early. 

Year : (completed two undergrads) first year of my master’s degree. 

Geography : Quebec

Waitlisted for English at 7:20.

Theres no indication of “good” or “bad”, only that I am “on a waitlist” which freaks me out because people are posting that they got good/bad waitlist.

Anyone else in this boat? I feel like I’m on some made up “neutral” waitlist

10 minutes ago, Inittowinit said:

Waitlisted for English at 7:20.

Theres no indication of “good” or “bad”, only that I am “on a waitlist” which freaks me out because people are posting that they got good/bad waitlist.

Anyone else in this boat? I feel like I’m on some made up “neutral” waitlist

The bad waitlist seems to specify that based on your rank it's unlikely you'll get off the list, but the good doesn't specify anything!

1 hour ago, 20206111 said:

Accepted. French stream. Already declined the offer because I got into Mcgill. I hope this makes someone happy! 

Goodluck

ECs : lots of research and two grants (but only 2 papers) lots of student government, part of a foundation. Academic awards (governers medal in University), sports interests... I guess I have a pretty varied CV. Filled all the OMSAS available spots. 

Interview : my panel was extremely nice which threw me off because I heard they would be cold. I tend to be overly friendly when I am confortable, so I thought I lacked professionalism... guess not! But other than that, I think it went well, my answers were straight to the point, even finished a little early. 

Are you a Quebec resident? And what was your cGPA for McGill?

6 minutes ago, Regretsbutgoingstrong said:

ResultBad waitlist.

wGPA: 3.98

CASPer: Very good.

ECs: Very good

Interview: I thought I did really well during the interview but then after it felt terrible, I guess my after thoughts were correct.

Year: 1 year post UG.

Did your email state that you were unlikely to receive an offer given your position on the waitlist?

Best of luck to you!

ResultAcceptance!! :)

Stream: English (but I do speak French... so the bilingualism may have contributed to my acceptance as well?)

Time-stamp: 7:05 am 

wGPA: 3.95

CASPer: Felt quite good about it. I answered the questions (1.5 min/question and used the remaining 30 seconds for whichever question I felt needed more) and tried to discuss both sides (if there were only 2) or to explore the multiple stakeholders' POV. Then always came to a decision. Tried to include little details about the tone of voice I would use or location I would be in to make the answer more personal!  

ECs: A bit of research (no publications), volunteering with different clubs at my school (music clubs, student council), full scholarship for undergrad, president of large charity at school. I kept doing things I love which made it easy to talk about them during CASPer and interviews. 

Interview: It felt great! I connected with my panel really well. We laughed, we discussed, and they seemed very engaged with my answers. I think a few of my answers surprised them based on their facial expressions, but it must have been a pleasant surprise or a tactic to see how I would react. Second guessed myself immensely, so do NOT use your post-interview memory as an accurate recollection of how the interview went. Be confident, always try to be analytical, and show them you are a kind person who they would want and their doctor. 

Year: 3rd year UG 

Result: Accepted!

Time-stamp: 7:03 am 

wGPA: 3.978 

CASPer: I am not a very fast typer so I missed the last question on a number of "stations." This was definitely the weakest part of my application.

ECs: Volunteered in various areas at a hospital, volunteered doing research at a healthcare institution, founded a campaign for sheltered animals, organized an annual gift exchange for underprivileged children, helped special needs individuals horseback ride, etc. for a total of approximately 1500 hours. Involved in recreational sports and had a few volunteering and academic awards. Lots of research with 1 publication, 4 poster presentations, and 2 oral presentations at the time of submitting my application.

Interview: It was very fast paced! I felt great when I got out of it; however, the more I thought about my answers the less confident I felt. I felt that I really connected with one person on my panel as they seemed genuinely interested in my answers. I got an interview off the waitlist, and had only about 4 days to prepare. 

Year: Just finished 4th year of undergrad

Congratulations to all of my future classmates. For anyone who was rejected/waitlisted pre- or post-interview, do not give up! 

Time-stamp: 7:04 AM

wGPA: 3.97

CASPer: Went well.

ECs: Typical with leadership, volunteering, and research. 

Interview: I know a lot of people complained about having cold panels but mine seemed professional and like they just wanted to get to know me and what I'm about.

Year: Just completed 4th (last). 

Geography: OOP

Will be declining for another offer :) good luck to everyone on the waitlist!

35 minutes ago, stethoscope2019 said:

Time-stamp: 7:06 AM

wGPA: 3.90

CASPer: Went well, paid for prep and practice tests. I think it made the difference!

ECs: Yup a bunch of stuff. Pretty confident here.

Interview: Didn't feel super hot but w/e

Year: Graduated BSc in 2017

Congrats! Are you picking Ottawa or Mac?

15 hours ago, 20206111 said:

Goodluck

Do you have a time-stamp for the acceptance? Thanks!

Result: Waitlisted (Good?) Taken off waitlist May 29th

Time-stamp: 7:17:55 am

wGPA: 3.98

CASPer: It was decent, type around 60wpm and was able to answer all the questions. Only a few answers that I thought I answered noticeably poorly.

ECs: Fairly average, some sports, various volunteer work

Interview: The interviewers were nice, however I felt challenged a few times. Tried not reading into this too much, and of course there were answers I didn't feel great about immediately after the interview.

Year: 4th year undergrad